Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2002 10:47:58 PM EDT
I'm not yet naming names, but I have a freshly renewed concealed carry permit, never been in any trouble that would warrant a denial. I wanted to purchase an AR reciever so I called a local manufacturer and spoke to the sales rep., who told me he'd give me a deal if I went in. A week later I went in and asked to speak with the rep. When I reminded him of our conversation he just about wigged and told me he's not suppose to do it, but told me if I kept it quiet and gave him cash the transaction could be made. I filled out the paper work, paid the money and waited for my NICS approval. All this while, this certain sales rep was very nervous and told me repeatedly to keep it hush hush. All other employees were in back watching football. After probably 20 minutes the rep informed me thier was a delay, and said someone must of stole your identity. He told me that he'd send me the reciever as soon as the approval came through. I left, and called three working days later,and the rep told me I'd been denied. I got what he told me was the NICS Transaction number and have requested the reason for denial from the FBI. My regular gun dealer is now holding and can't release a warranty exchange rifle of mine. You think this butthead is trying to cover his ass? I'll repost as it unleashes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
[%|]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Here in NY if you have a pistol license you are exempt from NICS.

I'm glad you started the NICS appeal process. The other dealer called NICS and received a denial as well?

Sounds like he was selling you an receiver and pocketing the money.  Hindsight being perfect you were foolish to proceed with the transaction under the condition of hush hush. Do you have a receipt? Good, call the place up and get your money refunded.

I work part time in a gunshop and I call in NICS Transactions.  I have no motivation to alter the information presented to me by the purchaser.

I'm as confused as you are.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Go talk to the manager or owner.  Clearly this guy is not giving you a good deal.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
After the Tacoma gun shop/John Muhammed crap you'd think these guys would smarten up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Did this happen in olympia? or somewhere else
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The only way a salesman can "bug" NICS is to put in erroneous info. Only LE records go into NICS.

I've had a "pending" despite using my SSN on the 4473. NICS could care less, they're the freaking govt! They DO have to release or deny after 3 days. They have to tell you why you're denied when you appeal.

I'd say you were shafted by the salesman & it had nothing to do with the latter faux pas by the gunshop.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It does seem possible the gun dealer could simply say you were denied as a way for him to back out of a deal. I'd say you need to find a new shop anyways based on the way he handled things on his end.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Local Manufacturer?
Oly?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I won't name anyone until I recieve my reason for denial. I do have my phone conversations with this sales person from home recorded on tape. I just wonder what would happen if this person reported to the NICS people that someone tried to purchase a reciever with someone elses ID.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Recording phone conversations without the other party being notified is illegal (in Washington state and a few others). Dealing under the table on firearms is questionable at best. No offense, but it sounds to me like the background check system may be working.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Recording a two party conversation without a warrant is legal in N.C. and a few others as long as at least one party is aware that the conversation is being taped. IF neither is aware, a warrant is required. I've sat and listen to several, with a warrant of course.  ;-)  

DoorKicker6
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The other dealer did recieve a denial to release my rifle. The NTN on the second is a different format then the first. I know the second is good, it has more digits, and the placement of letters and numbers is completely different. I put every bit of info I could, about myself and the dealings in my request to the FBI. If the number is wrong, maybe the info I've included will help to expidite this fiasco. I would believe the numbers to all NTNs would be in the same form, just different numbers and letters. This is answer to Hans.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top