Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/9/2006 10:58:15 AM EST
As it says.
I want to do some work on some uppers and need to know the correct filler metal.

Any info out here?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:27:25 AM EST
what kind of filler? hot or cold?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:32:44 PM EST
I assume you mean welding filler rod. If so, I can ask my welding guys at work tomorrow. They're both pretty sharp on aluminum welding.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:47:57 PM EST
you may have to call up alco Almuminum or somthing,to get the right filler rod.Most welding supply stores dont always have the correct # rod on hand,so u may have to order abig box and then the guy
working at your welding store may say somthing like(7075 alm is unweldable yada yada yada....),it will weld nice, but it will degrade or break downon the molec. tech level ok for none stucteral welds.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:35:10 PM EST
Ok, not clear enough on my part.
Filler metal for TIG welding 7075 Aluminum upper and lower receivers.
I know it can be done since the class III armorers do it.
Since it doesn't have to be structural it is not unweldable.
Look at what John Norrell did with those cut up M16 lowers.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:37:03 PM EST
all of my welding training says 7075 is unweldable.one time i put about 20 hours of machining into a part and f-ed it up. i welded it with 4043. held fine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:48:42 PM EST
I was in a gun show in little rock and there was an old men seling a welding rod for aluminium and he was using a regular torch and it was great,he filled all kinds of holes in diferent types of aluminium....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:13:55 AM EST
This seems intriguing for aluminum repair.


Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:28:08 AM EST
Top Top