Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:00:03 PM EDT
Like "nose to firing handle weld," or cheek weld, etc.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
charging handle
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It is the point on your cheek where the stock rests.  It should always be the same so your shooting position is the most consistent.  Think of it as if your cheek is welded to the stock.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
it means you "weld" your nose to the charging handle or your cheek to the stock. So you keep a consistant site picture. Weld as in hold it there very firmly and dont move it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
In an effort to add consistancy to your sight picture, you should mount the rifle the same way everytime.  When your cheek is against the stock, it's called "cheek weld"...  your head and rifle are "locked" together into one unit.  

Nose to charging handle just insures that it's in the same spot front to back as well.

Consistancy of position and sight picture contribute more to accuracy than the individual rifle at times (just ask anyone who's lent their weapon to someone else that shot it better than YOU, lol).  This is why you see us "old farts" talk so much about practice.  

If you don't know, ask someone at the range for some guidence, and then shoot consistantly.  I don't recall you ever posting about competition, but there's LOTS to learn in shooting matches.  Short of that, here's a good website about accuracy, etc.  I went to a Jim Owen's class when I was starting out.  Consistant hits at 600yards with irons afterwards.  He's got good articles on the site.
Jim Owens
Here's a page within his website that shows his books.  "Sight Alignment, Trigger Control and the Big Lie" may be the best $12 you spend.  He even has the first 4 chapters on that page for free.
Jim Owen's Books

Good luck !!  Hope this helped.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In an effort to add consistancy to your sight picture, you should mount the rifle the same way everytime.  When your cheek is against the stock, it's called "cheek weld"...  your head and rifle are "locked" together into one unit.  

Nose to charging handle just insures that it's in the same spot front to back as well.

Consistancy of position and sight picture contribute more to accuracy than the individual rifle at times (just ask anyone who's lent their weapon to someone else that shot it better than YOU, lol).  This is why you see us "old farts" talk so much about practice.  

If you don't know, ask someone at the range for some guidence, and then shoot consistantly.  I don't recall you ever posting about competition, but there's LOTS to learn in shooting matches.  Short of that, here's a good website about accuracy, etc.  I went to a Jim Owen's class when I was starting out.  Consistant hits at 600yards with irons afterwards.  He's got good articles on the site.
Jim Owens
Here's a page within his website that shows his books.  "Sight Alignment, Trigger Control and the Big Lie" may be the best $12 you spend.  He even has the first 4 chapters on that page for free.
Jim Owen's Books

Good luck !!  Hope this helped.

Maybe that's why I shoot to the left with my 10/22...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Maybe that's why I shoot to the left with my 10/22...

Could be, but unlikely.  If you're right handed, it's probably improper trigger technique.  Very common for right-handed shooters to hit low & left.  Happens to me when I don't practice or dry fire.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top