Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/14/2003 8:05:18 AM EDT
I recently got a .17 Savage, & I was thinking a .223 round with a .17 sabot would be a cool specialty round that could be kind of fun, & at the same time really devastating to what ever. What do you think of this idea for a new .223/5.56 round? It might have worked well for the skinnies in BHD because they would not have over penetrated, I would guess.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
A .17 caliber varmint bullet launched at .223 velocities would likely create a wound larger in diameter than in depth! LOL. While it certainly wouldn't overpenetrate, it would be too extreme with underpenetration on anything besides small varmints.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A .17 caliber varmint bullet launched at .223 velocities would likely create a wound larger in diameter than in depth! LOL.
View Quote

A .17 Remington can already fire a bullet in excess of 4000 fps.  I don't think a 17 caliber bullet "launched at .223 velocities" would get you any different performance than a 17 caliber bullet fired from a .17 Remington.

The real advantage would be the amount of powder that can be loaded behind the sabot.  I would guess that velocities in the neighborhood of 4800 fps would be possible with a 17/22 sabot combo.

I would definately like to try a sabot like that if one were ever to be made.  17 caliber is a small varmint caliber anyway.  Coyotes and deer have been taken with 17 caliber rounds, but that isn't really their forte.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Correct Torf, what I meant to say was .223 case capacity, not velocity. Sorry for the confusion.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Correct Torf, what I meant to say was .223 case capacity, not velocity. Sorry for the confusion.
View Quote

A .17 Rem is simply a necked down .223.  It has the same case capacity.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Nate,

You are correct. I don't know where my head is today. Maybe I should take a break from the computer and have a strong cup of coffee to wake me up? [:D]

None-the-less, I still stand by my assumption that this would not be an adequate round for anti-personnel use. Too fast and too light means explosion on impact with shallow penetration.

-Charging Handle
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top