Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2006 3:38:22 AM EDT
http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=RFLR-243

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
There seems to be some DPMS bias from some people on this board....Factory built DPMS rifles are as good, if not better than anyone else's product and usually at a better price. I bought my first DPMS rifle, an AP4, a year ago and couldn't be more pleased. Its the most accurate "stock" AR carbine I own and its quality has caused me to buy several more DPMS rifles, all of which have performed outstanding....especially my A2 20inch which has had more than 4500 problem free rounds through it. DPMS sells excellent parts at a great price, which causes people to assemble rifles out of them and thier appearance is very similar to a factory DPMS rifle, though quality can be very different. Factory built DPMS rifles are as good, if not better than any others and countries/LE agencies use them as duty weapons all over the world. Someones project rifle is just

that, its hit and miss and this cannot be construed as a manufactures inferiority. Everyone turns out a lemon and its not fair to condem and manufacture based on one problem weapon. Judge them on how they handle it and remedy the mistake and while DPMS isn't perfect and makes mistakes, they correct them and offer excellent service. I haven't had a problem with the 5 factory DPMS weapons I now own, but have dealt with them in the past and have been very impressed. Conversely, the biggest piece of fuck AR I have ever owned was a NM Armalite which I paid over 1000.00 for and thier service was delorable. While I got a bad rifle, Armalite makes a good product, they just dropped the ball this time....as everyone does, its more about how you pick it up.
DPMS really shines in thier LR308 rifles. Out of the box, none can touch thier accuracy/price. Gun rags proclaimed it the most accurate out of the box rifle they have tested....DPMS manufactures thier weapons to have superior accuracy right out of the box, so this should be of no suprise. I haven't shot one of thier new .243's but since its not much, if any, of a departure from thier .308 weapons, it should be excellent. While I like .243, I dont like it enough to buy it over .308. If I were interested in buying an "alternate caliber AR10" I would buy DPMS's LR in .300 RSAUM, which is a really awesome weapon. Bottom line, DPMS is a top tier manufacture, equal to or better than any other competitiors. Some competitors which people proclaim to be superior to DPMS to not have the .gov/LE use that DPMS enjoys, which is impressive especially compared to other manufactures. Buy a factory built DPMS rifle without regrets or reservations, no matter what someone on this website says about thier parts kit gun or a broken cast receiver, which DPMS doesnt even make anymore....people also couldn't clearly read thier website and accused them of using inferior materials in their receivers, which is also false. DPMS factory weapons are the same, if not better than any other manufactures. Buy a DPMS factory gun with confidence and pride.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Amen.

I have 3 of their rifles that I've happily picked up off of prize tables over the years.  Too, when I needed an upper of theirs that I won tweaked, they said send it in and they'll swap all the parts that I needed and credit me back on the parts they were taking off.  Customer Service to say the least is incredible.

Too, they are a HUGE and I mean HUUUGE sponsor of 3-Gun and USPSA shooting.  They put on one of the best matches of the year at one of the nicest facilities I've been to.  Randy Luth the owner is a shooter and a hunter.  He stands behind everything his company produces and is very approachable when at a match.  He and everyone at their shop are incredible at their jobs and seemingly do so just to make shooters happy.

My next rifle will be a DPMS LR308 or the new LRT-SASS, just 'cause it's pretty F'ing cool.  As for .243, I'm with Ryno that it wouldn't be my first choice for an alternate caliber AR (.260 Remington, 6XC, 6.5XC or 6.5-08 for me), but it would be nice for a varmint/deer rifle.  Buy a DPMS and YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

Take care,

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
No complaints with either of my DPMS rifles.  Work as good as either of my Colts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]

I recently purchased a DPMS upper with a heavy fluted Wilson barrel. Very accurate, no complaints.  I don't know if this is typical, I've read the DPMS bashing and honestly bought into it as well.

I only found out later (after I purchased it) that I had a DPMS upper. No "M4" feedramps etc.., I thought, " I loose, this upper will suck." I put 800+ rounds through it with no problems. Most (all) were full auto slam fires from a (now corrected) lower parts kit problem.  The thrill of full auto (gotta go class III someday), did blind me to the dangers of slam firing.

Back on topic, the DPMS upper performed flawlessly, beyond what I would have expected.
hope this helps,

Thomas

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I  think it rocks, but if it where me I'd have to go .308.  I think you'll have better luck finding more affordable ammo.  But if that is not an issue then get the .243.  I would if I could afford it along with the rest of my projects.  I'd have to request that the bbl to be fluted.  Better with heat, amd lighter.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Too, they are a HUGE and I mean HUUUGE sponsor of 3-Gun and USPSA shooting.  They put on one of the best matches of the year at one of the nicest facilities I've been to.  

+1

I think I've seen more DPMS rifles on prize tables than any other brand.  In addition to sponsoring the big shoots, they also give guns to even small "club championship" matches on a regular basis.  

I made it to the 1st annual DPMS Tri-gun match.  The match was well run, and the prize table was one of the most impressive I've ever seen.  I think everyone went home with a prize worth more than the entry fee.

I really appreciate that kind of support of the sport, and I plan on building my next competition AR with DPMS parts.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I own a DMPS varmint special, am very pleased with it, was a little tight when new but two boxes fixed that.

But I must admit I am highly intrigued by the .243 Winchester variant, a 6mm Rem would be about the same. I'm still not a fan of the .223 for anything other than Zombie-preparedness.

ETA: The .243 is gonna be good for hunting smallish whitetails (like we have in Central Texas) but not good for blowing a thousand rounds in a day at the range. Stick with a military chamber for large quanities of practise/plining ammo, simply for the cost.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#9]
They make great stuff period...I have two of their lower receivers and they were flawless and some of the best lowers Ive seen.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Getting "kinda" heavy...but its an AR so who cares.  Not a big fan of a .243 AR,  would stick to a .223 or a .308 (where are you gonna find parts for a .243 except through them.)

Did that say a 19rd mag????

As for DPMS, great gun. Never had any problems with mine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Colt/Bushy/LMT

But I shot with a guy who had a PANTHER Carbine Fit was outstanding and  very accurate too boot!

I think they are okay
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have many dpms rifles and parts - and have never had any issues.
Me personally, if you want a smaller than 308 but bigger than 223 - go with the 260...thats my next planned AR
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I think that will be a great AR. My LR308 shoots better than my Remington 700 For the money you can't go wrong and the .243 is a awsome round.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Typical DPMS "quality":

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#15]
DPMS is great and i have to say that i have never had a prob with their customer care if you have a prob...they fix it and i have been wanting to play with that 243 just to see what its like
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Typical DPMS "quality":

www.friendship7.co.uk/gallery/files/7/8/P1010015.JPG

Yeah, no other rifles ever have tool marks on them.  Great point .   I was issued a Colt M16A2 in the Corps that was much worse - looked like someone did a lot of the work on it with a hand file.  I bouight a bushie that came from the factory with a big scratch on the left side of the lower receiver.

Every company has guns that break or have QC problems on occasion - my PD had 2 factory colts that started coming apart in short order after we bought our rifles (of 80 rifles bought, IIRC).  They were fixed quickly and easily, but (gasp) I didn't run out on the internet and tell everyone that Colts are huge hunks of crap because of it, and call it "typical Colt Quality".  The bushie I bought years back worked fine, and the little scratch was replaced my much bigger ones.  I didn't run out and start crying to everyone about it.  The armalite factory gun I got had to be sent back once to the factory b/c the barrel nut was torqued on so tight we coudn't take it off (me and 3 PD armorers with all the right tools.  Factory admitted they screwed it up, and made good.  I didn't start yelling on the internet that Armalites are crap.  Get over it, Cato.  And everyone else that thinks that because they heard of something wrong with a DPMS that they are peices of crap.  This is the same internet rumor crap that leads people to believe that all Glocks Kb every 15 or so rounds.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree with SPDSNYPR.

Kind of funny, I don't see the "D" that DPMS stampes on the carrier
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#18]
My range beater(bushy) has a DPMS lpk and bolt group-12k and not a hitch!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]
tagged
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top