Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2015 11:44:07 PM EDT
I just picked up this chrome M16 bolt carrier with a parked gas key, and this slick side 604 bolt carrier with a chrome gas key. Would you leave them the way they came, or would you swap the gas keys?  Also, should I put a chrome bolt in the chrome M16 carrier, or leave it with the "MP" marked bolt that came in it?  Thanks for your advice.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
leave them be.  they often came mismatched from the factory and the square staking looks factory.  the side staking was done later so that one was changed out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:34:20 AM EDT
[#2]
That would bug the hell out of my OCD side. Still, they are original...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
As Boywonder said, the parked carrier with chrome key appears to be original and I'd leave it as is.  Transitional BCGs came in a variety of configs and are interesting.

The chromed carrier with FA serrations, on the other hand, has a replacement key.  Since the carrier appears to be Colt, however, I'd say it's worth looking for another chrome key to "restore" it.  If you have no pressing need for it, offer it to mancow for his XM16E1 in progress!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
While I agree the chrome carrier has a replacement key I would note that a chrome carrier with a Parco-Lubrite (unplated) key can be original.

The change to Parco-Lubrite from chrome for the carrier and the key was sometime after the beginning of September 1965.

This change was to be "without obsolescence".

As an aside, changes in parts under Government contracts were done one of two ways...."with obsolescence" or "without obsolescence".

With obsolescence means that on a certain date (or serial number) the old part was not to be used and all remaining old parts were obsolete and not to be used in further production. Only the new part was to be used and all old parts were to be scrapped or in some cases held for repair parts.

Without obsolescence means that all the old parts were to be used up before the new part was to be put into production of the item.

As the carrier and key changes were both "without obsolescence" if they ran out of chrome keys for chrome carriers then the Parco-lubrite key would be used until all the chrome carriers were used up...then all carriers and keys would be matched .

This of course works for the Parco-Lubrite carrier with the chrome key as well and this combination is also possible.

In either case......I would recommend that the key on the chrome carrier be removed and the screws replaced as you can see they have been "buggered up" by some "Primitive Pete" with a tool that did not fit. I would be hesitant to use this bolt as it cannot be taken for sure that the screws were properly tightened/ torqued when it was assembled to the carrier.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
What to do with them? Why, build an XM16E1, and a Transitional 604.

Both with other Transitional touches if possible
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I agree the chrome carrier has a replacement key I would note that a chrome carrier with a Parco-Lubrite (unplated) key can be original.

The change to Parco-Lubrite from chrome for the carrier and the key was sometime after the beginning of September 1965.

This change was to be "without obsolescence".

As an aside, changes in parts under Government contracts were done one of two ways...."with obsolescence" or "without obsolescence".

With obsolescence means that on a certain date (or serial number) the old part was not to be used and all remaining old parts were obsolete and not to be used in further production. Only the new part was to be used and all old parts were to be scrapped or in some cases held for repair parts.

Without obsolescence means that all the old parts were to be used up before the new part was to be put into production of the item.

As the carrier and key changes were both "without obsolescence" if they ran out of chrome keys for chrome carriers then the Parco-lubrite key would be used until all the chrome carriers were used up...then all carriers and keys would be matched .

This of course works for the Parco-Lubrite carrier with the chrome key as well and this combination is also possible.

In either case......I would recommend that the key on the chrome carrier be removed and the screws replaced as you can see they have been "buggered up" by some "Primitive Pete" with a tool that did not fit. I would be hesitant to use this bolt as it cannot be taken for sure that the screws were properly tightened/ torqued when it was assembled to the carrier.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.

View Quote

Good info.  We have seen "transitional" BCGs with chrome carriers and unplated keys, and parked carriers with chromed keys--it appears (once again) that Colt used up the parts they had on hand.
In this case, I assumed the unplated key is a replacement due to the staking.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top