Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 8:56:37 PM EDT
i did a search and i found 1 thread. not sure what im doing wrong.

Anyway.

i just want the good the bad and the ugly.  I looked at one at the gun shop and i was pretty impressed with the quality and the price.  

if it matters im planing to shoot xm193 brown box
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
They are up to date with the rest of the game, except for a few small things.

If you like a model that they offer, I can say from owning one (mine eats wolf for breakfast) that it will be going bang reliably when you pull the trigger.

If you want more from an AR, you may want to look elsewhere, as M&Ps are basic pieces for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
i really dont know what else id ever put on my ar except a scope. i see some with lights and lazers on them. i just dont get into that stuff.. there cool dont get me wrong.. just aint for me..

and when i hinted around to maybe using wolf the guy freaked on me and said never use it because it will rust the gun..

anyway i dont want this to become an ammo discussion. just wanted to know about the M&P
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
they are good to go, and i know what you mean about lights and lasers.

Mine came with rails for attaching that sort of thing... and i just threw rail covers on them. All i need is the sights it came with.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
oh i did forget 1 thing. i do want to get a .22lr upper. im looking at spikes tacitial.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
search for "SW" or "MP"
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I love mine.  I've fed it many different types of ammo (wolf, prvi, federal, LC, PMC, BH) and different mags (Pmags, NHMTG, DSG, D&H, no-name 40-rounders) and have not had a single ftf/fte/jam yet.  Roughly 2000 rounds through it so far.  

Couldn't be happier.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]
heres a comparison post i made between my older MP and a friends newer MP

comparison

hope it helps
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#8]
This is one of the early ones, NEVER HAD AN ISSUE, GOES BANG EVERY TIME and is a very very accurate weapon.

Buy with confidence.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an early one (MP15-T), & a transition period model picked up in a trade. Also I attended an S&W LE armorer’s course where I picked up some detailed information on these rifles. The early one with Stag upper & lower has excellent fit & finish, accepts P-mags with no problem, is accurate, has staked castle nut, & M4 feed ramps (barrel & receiver), and is definitely a keeper. In fact it is my main AR carbine. The transition model is currently at S&W (a story in itself-S&W has a lot to learn about customer service) for repairs to correct the P-mag issue. It will be sold when it comes back, although otherwise it has fine fit & finish and good components; never been fired. Why? I’ve bought several Colt 6920 for project guns as they need little in the way of changes.

As a side note, comparing the S&W to the 6920, the S&W has a somewhat better fit & finish, has some nice details like the selector switch stops are not milled off the lower receiver, the right side is marked “safe” & “fire” with an indicator notch in the pin, small FCG pins, and some other similar touches that I like. But the Colt has excellent components & overall QC, & I like Colts.

I don’t think anyone would go wrong with either S&W or Colt. Gentlemen, we live in a wonderful time with a wealth of choices. We are lucky.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#10]
My M&P15T is superb.  Excellent accuracy, good trigger, fine components.  It's never failed me, loves Pmags, and is capable of more accuracy than I am.  Wholeheartedly endorsed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Love my S&W M&P 15FT.  Only been shooting it for a few months, but after breaking it in on 500 rounds of XM193, I have been sampling Wolf Military Classic and Brown Bear with the same excellent results.  Added an Eotech 512 and it was a natural fit for this rifle.  Enjoy your new carbine.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/Make_It_In_Mass/DSC00368-1.jpg
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Love my m&p15A
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
early M&P15s were produced by Stag Arms

newer ones are made wholly by smith.

i think the newer ones are a little better quality IMO
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Why not just get a Stag and have a lifetime warranty versus the one-year warranty on the S&W MP15?  Aside from a longer warranty, you'll probably save some money too by going with the Stag.  They are not the same guns anymore, but I think they are very comparable in quality, fit, finish, etc.

Shane
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I Love my M&P15A I have only put a sight on it (EOTech 557), I really don't go for all of the "extras", I like it simple.  I Shoot mostly Remmington UMC .223 and Federal XM193 (Not sure if I want to venture into the wolf ammo)
No problems yet! It's a great solid gun!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Love my S&W M&P 15FT.  Only been shooting it for a few months, but after breaking it in on 500 rounds of XM193, I have been sampling Wolf Military Classic and Brown Bear with the same excellent results.  Added an Eotech 512 and it was a natural fit for this rifle.  Enjoy your new carbine.

i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/Make_It_In_Mass/DSC00368-1.jpg

Are you allowed to have AR15s in Massachusetts? Just curious.
Nice rifle BTW.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/Make_It_In_Mass/DSC00368-1.jpg

Are you allowed to have AR15s in Massachusetts? Just curious.
Nice rifle BTW. It's not that bad here (yet).  Massachusetts kept most of the ban rules, but you can get an AR15 without a flash suppressor, collapsible stock (mine is pinned) and a 10-round magazine.  With a High Capacity Firearm license, one can own pre-ban 30-round magazines, no P-Mags for the peons of Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I have yet to experience any negative issues with my M&P 15X. I put a G3 light and an EoTech 512 on it and could not be happier. Compared to the Oly, the fit, finish and function is superb.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an M&P 15 purchased during the $100 rebate.  It always goes bang no matter what it is fed, but I did find the front sight staked on at an angle. I couldn't adjust the rear sight enough to compensate.

S&W supplied account number for the return and fixed the sight. They even sent back the test target.  It was there and back before the rebate check arrived.  I was not pleased that the sight was staked at an angle, but S&W treated me right in the end.

S/N is in the 39xxx range.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#20]
i think im leaning towards the m&p15. i have heard nothing but good things. they also have a special now i think for $50MIR or 2 free mags.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#21]
i love mine it is a keeper.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#22]
It is:

1.  Overpriced

2.  New to the market.

Two good reasons to not buy one.  Your money would be much more efficiently spent on a RRA or Bushmaster.  S&W makes the world's best revolvers (especially the older ones) but they are lacking elsewhere.  I'd helluvalot rather see them make a deeply blued 2.5" Model 19 without the ugly triggerlock hole.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I own a 15a,i have fed 500 rounds through with NOT ONE FEED OR EJECTION PROBLEM,NOT ONE HICCUP.I took second place at my first ever tactical match.
When i bought mine i compared it to the bushies at the shop and the smiths fit and finish was worlds better.Mine has the pmag issue but i modified the pmags and they work flawlessly.Dont listen to those that say bad things.Go and man handle one.

If you want off the shelf quality a smith is a good choice.i would build one before buying another ar period.

build one and get what you want exactly for the same or maybe a few dollars more .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never owned a better AR. Period. Seriously. Yeah, I've owned the ones' with the Kool-Aide stains on them too. Mine ain't goin' NOWHERE!  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]
S&W  & DPMS same thing!    S&W uses almost 80% DPMS PARTS on their guns........ Remington uses Bushmaster...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Absolutely Love mine.Have ran approx. 3,000 rounds of "ALL" flavors and no cliches.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It is:

1.  Overpriced

2.  New to the market.

Two good reasons to not buy one.  Your money would be much more efficiently spent on a RRA or Bushmaster.  S&W makes the world's best revolvers (especially the older ones) but they are lacking elsewhere.  I'd helluvalot rather see them make a deeply blued 2.5" Model 19 without the ugly triggerlock hole.

I always see overpriced and I wonder where you are coming from.  You can pick up a 15T all over the place for 1250.  It will have $250 dollar troy sights, and a $225 troy rail installed.  So price for the base rifle clocks in at $775.  For a brand name AR with mp tested bolts, proper carrier key staking, etc.  

They have been on the market long enough to work out the wrinkles.  See Pat Rogers article in Swat magazine.

What exactly is it that you find overpriced and lacking?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
S&W  & DPMS same thing!    S&W uses almost 80% DPMS PARTS on their guns........ Remington uses Bushmaster...

Can't tell whether this is simple ignorance or a deliberate lie.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
..and when i hinted around to maybe using wolf the guy freaked on me and said never use it because it will rust the gun..

That ones a keeper!

Gotta love the gun store dribble.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It is:

1. Overpriced

2.  New to the market.

And Bushmaster's aren't?

At this point with what I've seen, I'd prefer a M&P over a Bushmaster. I haven't bought a complete rifle in a while anyways, but if I were to now it would be neither RRA, Bushmaster or S&W.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I put a down payment on an M&P15 yesterday :)
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#32]
IMO the Stag connection in the beginning didn't help S&W. They were presenting the gun as a "top tier" AR and it wasn't. As of late, IMHO S&W does appear to be putting out a fine product, but I will stop well short of putting it in the same ZIP code as Colt, LMT, or Noveske as some of the S&W owner's are doing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a M&P 15T and I love it. It's accurate and is reliable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

untrue post
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I like mine... it won't take Pmags, but is otherwise a shootin' gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I was looking into buying the base model M&P but I passed when I realized that I could buy the DPMS Mini SASS for $50.00 bucks cheaper and the DPMS has over a $1000.00 of after market parts on it. This is the rifle the way it came except for the scope,rings,riser and mono pod. You be the judge.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If you send it back to Smith, they will fix that issue for free.

I love my MP15OR!  Everyone on here that owns one has nothing but good things to say.  Everyone else that says quality is lacking and that its overpriced dosen't own them.  I paid $799.00 shipped before rebate at budsgunshop.com
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

If Magpul did not require the large rib to give their P-Mags extra needed side suport it would fit a Standard Mag. well.

I just grind off the side of the rib and use my P-Mags at the range.

My Lancer System L5 Mags fit great without having to grind on them.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/photobug4741/?action=view¤t=SWLMTRS1.jpg
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#39]
S&W has no DPMS parts in it! I think the New S&Ws are about the best value per dollar spent out there. I own one and love it. As far as pure quality, I understand they are just under Noveske, LMT, and Colt; which are considered nearest to so called 'Mil-spec'. That's about as good as you will get. The first run of S&Ws were Stag parts and had a lot of issues. Not so with the latest run since S&W started making their own guns. I would prefer the Noveske, but my budget won't allow it, and it's doubtful I would realize much difference anyway.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
S&W has no DPMS parts in it! I think the New S&Ws are about the best value per dollar spent out there. I own one and love it. As far as pure quality, I understand they are just under Noveske, LMT, and Colt; which are considered nearest to so called 'Mil-spec'. That's about as good as you will get. The first run of S&Ws were Stag parts and had a lot of issues. Not so with the latest run since S&W started making their own guns. I would prefer the Noveske, but my budget won't allow it, and it's doubtful I would realize much difference anyway.

When I was looking for another AR after buying my S&W I looked at the Noveske's but I bought a LM&T the Noveske are nice but I don't see anything that you get that makes them any better then both my S&W or LM&T.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If Magpul did not require the large rib to give their P-Mags extra needed side suport it would fit a Standard Mag. well.

I just grind off the side of the rib and use my P-Mags at the range.

My Lancer System L5 Mags fit great without having to grind on them.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/photobug4741/?action=view¤t=SWLMTRS1.jpg

It's normally not the Pmag but the mag well. With all the machining going on with all the lowers made not all are going to be exactly where they need to be. If you just batch test or measure every 5 lowers with QC checks(I have know idea how S&W or any company for that matter does it) then some out of spec lowers will more than likely get through.

Pmags are designed to fit and drop free in Colt M4 mag wells. The guys at magpul will tell you that themselves. If a Pmag doesn't drop free in your lower then it is most likely out of spec.

I have had a Pmag that did not drop free in a lowers where all the other Pmags I had did. It was do to a little over molding near the top front of the mag. A little, very little sanding to that particular area and it dropped free like the others.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:
... As far as pure quality, I understand they are just under Noveske, LMT, and Colt; which are considered nearest to so called 'Mil-spec'. ...

just to back you up on this...

This summer's issue of Combat Tactics has a large artical on Mil-Spec and contains a chart of Mil-spec features on commercially produced M4 style carbines. The S&W M&P15 rates above DPMS, Oly, RRA, Bushy, and Stag on the number of Mil-spec parts it has. The M&P was only trailing the Colt 6920, LMT, and Noveske buy a few features.

I bought my M&P15X in March and have had no issues with it. Its put together well with great parts. You will not be disappointed.
http://a68.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/1/l_4522aac27526279f5530303fc67152d3.jpg
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... As far as pure quality, I understand they are just under Noveske, LMT, and Colt; which are considered nearest to so called 'Mil-spec'. ...

This summer's issue of Combat Tactics has a large artical on Mil-Spec and contains a chart of Mil-spec features on commercially produced M4 style carbines. The S&W M&P15 rates above DPMS, Oly, RRA, Bushy, and Stag on the number of Mil-spec parts it has. The M&P was only trailing the Colt 6920, LMT, and Noveske buy a few features.

I bought my M&P15X in March and have had no issues with it. Its put together well with great parts. You will not be disappointed.
a68.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/1/l_4522aac27526279f5530303fc67152d3.jpg

I agree the S&W is a very good choice. I noticed you have a CAA cheek rest I also have one on my S&W very lite not costly and it works.

s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/photobug4741/?action=view¤t=SWLMTLS.jpg
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
I was looking into buying the base model M&P but I passed when I realized that I could buy the DPMS Mini SASS for $50.00 bucks cheaper and the DPMS has over a $1000.00 of after market parts on it. This is the rifle the way it came except for the scope,rings,riser and mono pod. You be the judge.
i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/rgcansler/IMG_3687.jpgHmmm...
I just bought the MP15 OR for $790.00 - out the door. If you can point me to the dealer selling Mini SASS's for $740.00, I'll buy 2. he
Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/rgcansler/IMG_3687.jpg

Hmmm...  what are you calling the "base model M&P"?

I just bought the MP15 OR for $790.00 - out the door. If you can point me to the dealer selling Mini SASS's for $740.00, I'll buy 2.

I'm not picking on the DPMS, it looks like a good rifle, but I don't think you are comparing "base models".

Take care,
Bob S.

The two local shops here wanted $1250.00 for the base model and 1750.00 for the tactical...  I've got to get out more often.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#46]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I agree the S&W is a very good choice.have

I've heard of the battery compartment caps falling out during firing but I haven't had that problem, they're in there pretty tight on my rifle. I recommend it to anyone.
Interesting tidbit though, the Brownells recoil pad wont fit on your stock if that saddle is installed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/rgcansler/IMG_3687.jpgHmmm...
I just bought the MP15 OR for $790.00 - out the door. If you can point me to the dealer selling Mini SASS's for $740.00, I'll buy 2. he
Take care,
Bob S.

The two local shops here wanted $1250.00 for the base model and 1750.00 for the tactical...he
How does your SASS shoot?

Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree the S&W is a very good choice. I noticed you have a CAA cheek rest I also have one on my S&W very lite not costly and it works.

I've heard of the battery compartment caps falling out during firing but I haven't had that problem, they're in there pretty tight on my rifle. I recommend it to anyone.
Interesting tidbit though, the Brownells recoil pad wont fit on your stock if that saddle is installed.

I sure understand the caps falling out of the CAA. I just replaced them with some long rubber plugs I had on hand. I did e-mail CCA about the problem but got no reply.

I put a rubber recoil pad on my S&W and cut off and Uncle Mikes buttpad boot and used Velcro to attach it to the small rubber recoil pad. It was easy to do and fits great also really feels good when shooting.
s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/photobug4741/?action=view¤t=RecoilPad.jpg
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/rgcansler/IMG_3687.jpg

Hmmm...  what are you calling the "base model M&P"?

I just bought the MP15 OR for $790.00 - out the door. If you can point me to the dealer selling Mini SASS's for $740.00, I'll buy 2.

I'm not picking on the DPMS, it looks like a good rifle, but I don't think you are comparing "base models".

Take care,
Bob S.

The two local shops here wanted $1250.00 for the base model and 1750.00 for the tactical...  I've got to get out more often.....

Well - if you picked up the SASS for around $1200.00 - I'd say you did OK. I've not seen many, but the one I remember from the last gun show was asking around $1300.00. The S&W T's were $1200-$1250 at the same show. The S&W's have Troy hardware & sights, the DPMS has the Magpul stock - both use good stuff.

How does your SASS shoot?

Bob S.

It's a tac driver. Just broke it in with some 55gr. 5.56 and I am going to use some 77gr. next and do some longer range fire. My dealer gave me the SASS for cost + 10% for him so I can't complain.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#50]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I agree the S&W is a very good choice.have

I sure understand the caps falling out of the CAA. I just replaced them with some long rubber plugs I had on hand. I did e-mail CCA about the problem but got no reply.

I put a rubber recoil pad on my S&W and cut off and Uncle Mikes buttpad boot and used Velcro to attach it to the small rubber recoil pad. It was easy to do and fits great also really feels good when shooting.
s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/photobug4741/?action=view¤t=RecoilPad.jpg

I was gonna try to rig something up once I got back from deployment and I actually had a velcro idea...now I know how. thanks buddy
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top