Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:34:11 AM EDT
 Just cerious what others are using. I've got a 100 yd zero and I'm consistantly shooting under deer, thinking of changing to a 150 yd zero.
 I'm using a german post reticle scope and I have a hell of a time just holding over with that straight sided post, not as easy as holding over with a duplex IMO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Just what, I have been doing...... I zero at 100yards and am using a russian VMOZ scope with the BDC reticle for a 7.62x39 and sure enough it is on out to 400yards with my 300gn JHPs running around the 2000fps range.  I mostly shoot at bowling pins and that setup will do it's part if I do mine. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 Just cerious what others are using. I've got a 100 yd zero and I'm consistantly shooting under deer, thinking of changing to a 150 yd zero.
 I'm using a german post reticle scope and I have a hell of a time just holding over with that straight sided post, not as easy as holding over with a duplex IMO.

Im actually a fellow nebraskan, in college in Texas.

I have a 458 and hunt with it extensively.  My suggestion is this.  I have mine sighted in at 100 yards, however, I would like it for 150, yet from everything I have read and done, it drops rather fast (with CORBON 300,400 and 600 SS) loads.  IF your reload, then, different story, Im sure one could work up a load with 300 or 405 grains which would make a excellent round to 150.  Barnes X would be the preferred bullet for me.  However, for me 100 yards is the most I have tried with a zero.  I am using a EOtech now.  But previously, I used a Leupold VXIII with the mil-dot.  Just curious, what region of Neb are you? Also, have you shot a coyote with that 458 SOCOM....it makes a mess....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...However, for me 100 yards is the most I have tried with a zero.  I am using a EOtech now...

Hey! I switched over to an EOTech also. I'm zeroed at 50yds mainly because that's about as far as I can see good. (I sold my IOR Valdada to fund another build and my skydiving/crack habit )

Once I get my Vortex, my 458 build will be complete (I swear!) I'll post pics when it's done.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...However, for me 100 yards is the most I have tried with a zero.  I am using a EOtech now...

Hey! I switched over to an EOTech also. I'm zeroed at 50yds mainly because that's about as far as I can see good. (I sold my IOR Valdada to fund another build and my skydiving/crack habit )

Once I get my Vortex, my 458 build will be complete (I swear!) I'll post pics when it's done.

I have yet to shoot in the EOtech, but will get to it shortly.  The vortex will complete the job for sure!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
 Cold, I haven't had the chance at a coyote yet, just a pig and 1 whitetail. I was hoping for another deer this morning but with my new accuracy problems ( please take a look at my nearby post about 458 factory loads) I didn't take the Socom out.

I'm in eastern Nebraska, Fremont actually, the deer are thick around here and southwest Iowa is starting to have a pig problemhem
 Keep us posted on the EO Tech, my Socom killed mine in about a dozen rounds- the recoil caused the batteries to crush the contact springs, now I'm using a Meopta 1.5-5X with a post reticle that I just love.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 Keep us posted on the EO Tech, my Socom killed mine in about a dozen rounds- the recoil caused the batteries to crush the contact springs, now I'm using a Meopta 1.5-5X with a post reticle that I just love.

I already have about 50 rounds through my EOTech with no problem. I'm using the model with "N" batteries. I'll keep your issue in mind, tho.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Keep us posted on the EO Tech, my Socom killed mine in about a dozen rounds- the recoil caused the batteries to crush the contact springs,

DAMN IT, that doesnt sound good.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Hope that is not true with the EOTech.  I just put a 550 model (AA bat type) on my 500 P.  Have not shot it yet as my stock is not in yet - should be here tuesday and I plan to on some very large acrage next weekend outside of Houston and I want to run some rounds though it then.  Should be interesting.  Just waiting on YLTOR and YHM parts to arrive to finish it all up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
To answer the post - my .458 has a Redfield LE-9 on it (had the rectiles changed out milspec ones by Redfield prior to mounting it on the beast) and i have zeroed an inch high at a 100 yards.  I did some shooting today (plinking if you can call it) and was shooting old coke bottles from our estimate 150 yards and I was hitting them using barnes 300X reloads.  Not sure which batch I was using or I would post the powder and weight.  Will look it up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:08:11 AM EDT
[#10]
 Doc, please do post your 458 load. I thoudht that I was just experiencing a lot od bullet drop, but it turns out that my accurasy has gone to hell and I need a new load. Please see my nearby post concerning Cor-bon factory loads for details.

Concerning my EO Tech problems- I am shooting one of Tonys lightweight 458s. Maybe my recoil impulse if faster than a standard weight causing the batteries to move faster/ more violently and crush the contacts. I know others here are using an EO Tech with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I used the basic sheet that Marty sent me ages ago and did not veer from it too much.  I do really well with the Barnes X 300gr (Reloader 7 41gr) and the bulk remington 300gr JHP (Reloader 7 45gr) that I buy in bulk.  

As far as the EOTech.  I hope it works on the 500P.  I have it cowitnessed to the top rail of the FFT so hopefully it is pretty stable and being that far forward it will not take as much of an ass whipping as me!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#12]
 Thanks Doc I have that same sheet from Marty. I guess I'll be heading to Sheels to get some RL7. Thanks for the input. Jerry
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#13]
My eotech has been on the 458 for several hundred rounds.  No problems
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I have never owned one nor shot a rifle with one, so I hope it lives up to my expectations.  As long as I can shoot effectively with it at 50 yards, then I am going to be happy.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top