Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2012 7:21:01 PM EDT
Looking at images at various resellers, it appears that the buffer and spring are shorter.  Will it work on a non-carbine rifle?  I guess part of the confusion is what constitutes a carbine?  Is it the 16 inch barrel and carbine length gas tube?  If I have an 18 inch barrel and a mid-length gas tube, will a carbine stock work?  Some explanation to further my understanding would sure be great.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Think of the upper group and the lower group as two separate things.

You can have a rifle length gas system  and 18 or 20 inch barrel upper and put it on a lower with a carbine stock.
Or you can have a carbine length gas system wit a 16 or  14.5 or 10 inch barrel upper on a lower with a rifle stock.

In general, the standard configurations are:
a rifle gas 20 inch barrel on a lower with a rifle stock.
Or
A carbine gas 14.5 inch barrel on a lower with a carbine stock.

The stocks have completely different receiver extensions, springs and buffers among other parts.  
And the carbine stocks/ sized buffers have different weights for different configurations.

Do a bit of searching and reading and it will become clear quickly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
carbine stock would be the adjustable ones (shorter receiver extension than the A1/A2 fixed rifle stocks), they have a shorter, stiffer spring, and a shorter buffer. The standard weight buffer is a bit lighter than the rifle buffers as well.

ETA: too slow
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top