Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2006 6:22:42 PM EDT
I'm going to go with a Norrells finish, but I don't know what color would match the original Colt M16A1 ? Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt Grey.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#2]
From www.molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp

"GRAY Flat
A match to older gray military parkerizing including some very early Colt M-16 rifles. Gray flat in coloration with an almost unnoticeable (except under certain lighting conditions) a very slight tint of green. This is a lighter shade of gray than our Greenish-Gray."
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is Norrells "Gray Flat" on a bolt carrier.  It isn't the greatest picture, but hopefully it helps a little.  

Colt had a lot of variations with colors, so Gray Flat or Grayish-Black flat will get you in the ball park.  The Gray Flat will tend to match up with the very early weapons, while the Grayish-Black is what many people have used with the CDNN uppers for a nice match.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here is Norrells "Gray Flat" on a bolt carrier.  It isn't the greatest picture, but hopefully it helps a little.  
img501.imageshack.us/img501/5815/p1010040a8000wf.jpg

Hijack warning, but...
Stick, when you refinish, how much do you go inside the receivers?  Obviously, you did the carrier, above,... is the bolt done, too?  What about the inside of the upper?  I imagine the inside of the lower wouldn't provide much function since nothing touches, but... just curious.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Norrell GRAYISH-BLACK Flat refinished Stag lower with a CDNN Colt M16A1 upper.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Colt had a lot of variations with colors, so Gray Flat or Grayish-Black flat will get you in the ball park.  The Gray Flat will tend to match up with the very early weapons, while the Grayish-Black is what many people have used with the CDNN uppers for a nice match.

img501.imageshack.us/img501/5815/p1010040a8000wf.jpg

Thanks Stickman!  I've got a CDNN Upper.  I'll try Grayish-Black first.  Of course I still need to find an A1-style lower , but I'm thinking about refinishing a Stag to use until I can find an A1 (a la DeMarcus - Nice looking rifle!).

How does Moly Resin hold up on the bolt carrier and the inside of the upper?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hijack warning, but...
Stick, when you refinish, how much do you go inside the receivers?  Obviously, you did the carrier, above,... is the bolt done, too?  What about the inside of the upper?  I imagine the inside of the lower wouldn't provide much function since nothing touches, but... just curious.  Thanks!

Thats a fair question, and one that I get PM'd on quite often.  Doing the carrier and inside of the upper and lower receiver is something that I have done on many AR15s.  The nice thing about the Norrells is that it has Moly, so it is self lubricating.  There aren't any issues with tolearances as it coats much thinner than DC.  

Taken from molyresin.com (Johns site)......

Thickness:
The optimal thickness of the coating will be between .0003" and .0009" unless a thicker coating is desired. The thin coating characteristics of less than one thousands of an inch allows easy re-assembly of precision fitted parts

In this picture, both inside and out were coated on the uppers and lowers.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I just refinished a CAR-15 in the Norrell's Colt Gray -Black and I no problems with putting it back together...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#9]
liquiddeputy-  When I refinish the interior, I always make sure people break the weapon in as if it was new, which means at least 200 rounds to ensure reliability.  There has never been an issue, but I consider it worth while if used for duty/ HD.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Based on my experience with the '16A1, a lot of worn-to-bare-metal is highly accurate from a historical authenticity standpoint

Now we have some virgin pre-A1 '16's in the Pratt Museum arms room on Campbell, and they're a gritty sort of Parkerized finish, very gritty in texture.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The only color I'd use on a retro M16/M16A1 would be military grade Parkerizing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only color I'd use on a retro M16/M16A1 would be military grade Parkerizing.

How do you park the aluminum?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of alcohol and wishful thinking?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of alcohol and wishful thinking?  

Nothing less than Crown Royal, I bet.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top