Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2003 6:40:02 AM EDT
www.rockriverarms.com/car_a4_stainless_steel_barrel.htm

On their website it says .223/5.56 NATO chambered, but that seems ambiguous to me. Wondered if anyone here knows?

On the site, some barrels are chambered .223Wylde and some .223/5.56 NATO. Just wasn't sure whether .223/5.56 NATO actually means 5.56 NATO or is just a generic term that some manufacturers use.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:03:11 AM EDT
.223 Wylde on [b]all[/b] barrels except M4 barrels, which are 5.56 well, at least that's my understanding. B9
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 1:13:48 PM EDT
.223 Wylde is a chambering that allows for long bullets like 80gr or SS109 to be used as well as 5.56 NATO without overpressure but to have a tighter more accurate relationship to the case. Longer chamber with SAAMI diameter essentially. It allows for gas to expand more so that pressure is not built up beyond safe limits. On the other side of that, match quality can also be used without worrying about a sloppy chamber primarily used for quick chambering of rounds and expansion of cartridges. The M4 has a standard 5.56 NATO chambering called .223/5.56 NATO to basically say that either can be used interchangeably. This will most likely not be as accurate as the other chamberings due to a sloppier, mil-spec diameter chambering as opposed to the match quality SAAMI diameter on the WYLDE chambering. The RRA M4 is not a true M4 anyway as it does not conform to exact external diameter specs under the handguards, as set by the military. It is only made to look close on the outside to an M4. I wouldn't worry about which chambering it is unless you are into 300M accuracy at which tighter is better.
Top Top