Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2003 6:55:41 PM EDT
I have several used GI mags that were so swelled when I got them, they would not fit in the magwell.  Looks like a loaded mag doesn't put much outward pressure on the sides.

I was thinking it may be due to use of strippers and the standard GI spoon.  That loading style does seem to push on the sides of the mag.

One of the manufaacturers (DPMS, I think) sells an expensive stripper guide that surrounds the top of the mag when used.  Is this in order to minimize mag swelling?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Heck, who knows.  I've encountered several mags that just wont't quite fit in a mag well like you want it.  Some swollen on the sides and a few that had a mag-well length problem.  If you have a good bench vise, 90% of the problem mags can be easily repaired with some slight side to side pressure. Give it a try, works for me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#3]
After one bends the mag back within specs,would some form of annealing help to retain it's strength?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top