Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:26:28 PM EDT
I have a buddy who had a fella give him one to figure out what was a matter with it. It's now ben turned over to me to try and diagnose. Havent had a chance to shoot it yet to see what the exact problem is. anyway, what can ya'll tell me about these particular AR's. I have heard of them but other than hearing the name before i cant find anything about them. any info would be nice.

From what i understand the owner has had it for some time . Here is what is stamped on the lower.

PWA
MILAN , IL

CAL. 5.56 MM
COMMANDO

ANY info would be nice. thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:41:11 PM EDT
Parts gun.

PWA made good lowers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:43:46 PM EDT
PWA used to make lowers & sell parts.They did not sell complete rifles. To avoid paying excise tax, they did not sell amajor part. I can't remember if it was the barrel or bolt carrier they did'nt sell. I have an old flier from them from the late 1980's, I'll have to look for it.Their lowers were high quality & are great to build on. I had an AR on an old preban PWA. I wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:43:52 PM EDT

Pacific West Arms built only forged lowers to the best of my knowledge. Went out of production shortly after the so-called AWB. Quality (fit & finish) among the best. Any problems probably due to other parts or poor gunsmithing.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:45:24 PM EDT
try searching pac west arms. as stated it's a frankengun as PWA only made lowers. it's rumored that they were bought out by rra. the lowers are high quality, and forged.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:50:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:52:06 PM EDT
As said above, their lates ones were stamped PWA COMMANDO, and made in Milan, IL.

If you check out LMTs lowers, they are stamped LMT DEFENDER, and also made in Milan, IL. Plus, the LMT is circled the same way as the PWA was circled on their lowers.

Coincidence?

I have two PWA Commando lowers, and I love 'em!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:02:33 PM EDT
Wow, thanks all, that was a lot quicker than i thought it would be. I thought i had read/heard some where that they didnt make/sell complete rifle just lowers as well but wasnt 100% sure , ijust passed all this info on to my buddy. thanks again all
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:45:27 PM EDT
PWA lowers were made by LMT. some were made with A1 forgings.

I've been looking for a few but usually wind up coming up short

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 8:17:44 PM EDT by Dace]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:12:47 PM EDT
Do a 1 year search on PWA. You'll find a number of threads have come and gone related to the PWA lowers.

Here's the most recent one.......

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=264339
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:20:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 9:00:30 PM EDT by Tac2cal]

Originally Posted By Dace:

Originally Posted By YardDogOne:

More like LMT uses the same tooling.

I find it odd that PWA went away when LMT came on the scene. Maybe LMT was doing all of the PWA lowers before they decided to come out on their own?? There are very few companies that are doing their own lowers. Look at Lauer. Who do you think makes those? Either way I love my PWA lower that I got from RB Precision! I think it was their last one.

Robert
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:48:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 8:49:21 PM EDT by Dace]

Originally Posted By Tac2cal:

Originally Posted By Dace:

Originally Posted By YardDogOne:

More like LMT uses the same tooling.

I find it odd that PWA went away when LMT come on the scene. Maybe LMT was doing all of the PWA lowers before they decided to come out on their own?? There are very few companies that are doing their own lowers. Look at Lauer. Who do you think makes those? Either way I love my PWA lower that I got from RB Precision! I think it was their last one.

Robert

Suposedly LMT manufactured all the lowers for PWA. PWA was based in Washington or some such place on the west coast yet their receivers were stamped with Milan. This is done because per ATF rules the receiver must be stamped with the city of the manufacturer, not the city of the end seller. Or something like that............
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:12:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 12:12:35 AM EDT by WindDrake]
I think the PWA Story is up in the air. The other common story is that PWA was purchased by Lewis Machine & Tool + Name Changed accordingly.

I've got one. Damned fine lower.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:55:56 AM EDT
RRA... LMT... Who knows? I remember when the last of the PWAs were selling like hotcakes around 2000 or 2001, and then RRA suppossedly took over and began using their markings. Now LMT's on the scene with similar markings and manufacturing location... I don't recall hearing about LMT around 2000 or 2001. Either way, later manufactured PWA lowers are nice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:07:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bulldawg:
RRA... LMT... Who knows? I remember when the last of the PWAs were selling like hotcakes around 2000 or 2001, and then RRA suppossedly took over and began using their markings. Now LMT's on the scene with similar markings and manufacturing location... I don't recall hearing about LMT around 2000 or 2001. Either way, later manufactured PWA lowers are nice.

They have been a corporation since 1982.

cdsprod.ilsos.net/CorpSearchWeb/CorporationSearchServlet?fileNumber=52880823&sysId=CD&nameType=MST
Top Top