Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2003 12:26:43 PM EDT
I have a Colt 6601 that has a very tight mag well I think.  I have two (2) Okay 30 rnd GI mags, six (6) Thermolds and one (1) Colt 20rnd.  They all fit tight and do not drop free with the exception of the 20 rnd mag.  The Okay 30's will disengage from the mag catch when the mag release is pushed but will not drop free and the Thermolds will not disengage from the catch and the left hand has to be used to remove them.  I can tell where the friction is occuring because the back of the thermolds have finish on them from the mag well to the left and right of the spine of the mag.  I've heard this is common with 30 round mags but my Bushmaster will drop them all free without hesitation.  What gives?  Does the Bushy have a bigger well or is there something wrong with my Colt lower?  Can the factory open up the mag well to get these mags to drop free?  Is it even that big of deal?  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Re the Thermolds. my experience is that they are a bit thicker, front to rear, than the metal mags.  I've had to take a bit of material off the rear rib, on the top inch and a half, to get them to drop from my Rock River and Bushie lowers.  On the other hand, if your Colt is tight on GI metal mags, it does sound lioke an exceptionally tight mag well; fairly unusual on Colts.

Was it mine, I'd give Colt service a call, and see what they have to say[:D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Mag change drills...

About 934 of them...

Square you right away!
[;D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Its not a big deal, some are tighter than others. Me likes them tight, they will become loose after a lot of use.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top