Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/14/2002 2:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2002 2:24:49 PM EDT by colt-fan]
I have a surefire 6 volt classic series weapon light for my ar15. I know that you are supposed to use surefire's 6 volt shock isolated battery pack. If I just use two 3 volt batteries, am I really risking damage to the light? I am not sure if this is a real problem or if surefire is trying to make more money by selling the more expensive battery packs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:32:10 PM EDT
Its not that big a deal just get 2 DL123s
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:22:16 PM EDT
If you are really concerned about shock/recoil effects on your batteries, make your own "shock isolated battery packs. For example: Let's say you have s 6 volt Surefire light, you will need the following: two 3 volt lithium cells... some RTV (room temperature vulcanizing adhesive --> Shoo Goo) or small silcone/rubber doughnuts... some heat-shrink tubing sized for AA cells should be good (get these where RC batteries are sold)... OK>>> First take the two cells and place them together as if they were going to be installed in your light + to -. Next, while holding the two cells together, place a THIN!! bead of RTV around the gap between the two cells where they meet. Make sure the two cells have a good, clean, electrical contact. For best results, wait for the RTV to dry (you can use tape to hold the cells together, or try placing them in the light, without the cap, to hold them). The other method is to use the small doughnuts between the cells and use some tape to hold the cells. Next, carefully slide the two cells into your heat-shrink tubing and then use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the shrink-wrap around the cells (I usually let the cells roll back and forth on the table while heating the wrap). The wrap will shrink down tight and voila'!! "Shock Isolated" cells for your lights.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:51:29 PM EDT
Your right, it's not that big of a deal...it's only a piece of equipment you might need to work in a lethal force confrontation. This has been debated over and over on this forum and others. The bottom line: The effect of recoil does in fact begin to compress the contacts of the battery. Batteries are fairly dense and slamming them against themselves will damage them. It will not damage your light. It will however increase the probability that your light will not work when you need it most. I can recall at least a 1/2 a dozen cases during training courses that SureFire lights began to function intermittently. Disassembled the system and removed non-wrapped batteries, noted the compression and installed new batteries. Light functioned perfectly. Higher recoil weapons will accelerate the effect. With AR’s the effect is minimal, but still there. Shotguns, .45’s, contact compression will occur in short order. Intermittent light - It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. If you do not want to invest the time or money for wrapped batteries, consider removing the batteries and lamp from you weapon mounted light during day time training evolutions to preserve the life of both. An opinion.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 4:42:35 PM EDT
Ken, I was curious, what about on the M900. the batteries are vertical on a system like that. would the battery packs make a difference? I did notice mine did not come with the battery stick, but all my other weapon lights did.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:21:22 PM EDT
Batteries in the vertical position - not a problem. Horizontal - Seriously consider the wrapped batteries. Some of the newer dedicated systems have a battery carrier eliminating the issue entirely.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:53:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2002 5:54:22 AM EDT by colt-fan]
Thanks for all of the input. It has been really helpful. For the sake of not taking any chances, I think that I will continue investing in the battery packs (or at least take the batteries out during time at the range).
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:52:50 PM EDT
FYI..... The SureFire weapons catalog stated that: Recoil-proof battery sticks "were not necessary with [i]Millenium Weapon Lights[/i], which hold batteries 'individually' and protect them from recoil forces." No mention was made of the "Classic" weapon lights.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 4:47:31 PM EDT
Recoil-proof battery sticks "were not necessary with Millenium Weapon Lights, which hold batteries 'individually' and protect them from recoil forces." This refers to the MB10 & MB20 for the M5xx Series of Millennium WeaponLights. The "MB" is a carrier. The MB10 holds three SF123As for the M5xxA & M5xxAB models. The MB20 holds six SF123As for the M5xxB model (and the M6) It is easier to reload a SureFire using a shock isolated battery stick. It is also easier to carry spare sticks for quick replacements (although just like standard SF123As, I wouldn't have thought being exposed to the damp and wet does them any good) Respectfully Al
Top Top