Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:46:23 AM EDT
And if it was weight, how much could a semi-auto pistol weigh and still be legal?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:16:34 AM EDT
50 ounces was the limit under the AWB. It is gone, what does it matter now?
It also could not have a mag outside the grip, flash suppressor capable, foreward grip (not vertical, just the shroud around the barrel or what most of us call the forend) and the weight thing. Thank GOD we don't have it to worry any more, for the time being anyway.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:52:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
It is gone, what does it matter now?

Just curious. Some states allow a loaded rifle in the car but NH does not. With a CCW permit I can at least have a loaded AR pistol in the car if I want to or feel like it. The loaded rifle law is from people jacking deer. So basically a criminal's act restricts my freedom. What else is new.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:16:14 AM EDT
If I understand the laws correctly, TN doesn't allow transport of any firearms in vehicles, unless the firearm is unloaded and not easily accessible to the driver or passengers in the vehicle, with the Handgun Carry Permit being the only legal exception to the rule. In the past, it wasn't unusual to see rifle racks in the rear windows of pickups and SUV's, and I knew a few people who never got hassled by the police for having rifles or shotguns visible on their racks, but that was before the AWB and when we had a police chief who didn't say much about gun control (our current chief has made it clear he is anti-gun and doesn't like carry permits).

A bill was introduced in the TN legislature to expand the HCP law to cover rifles, shotguns, and knives, but the media had another feeding frenzy on a shooting incident, and the bill was quietly withdrawn. My HCP instructor had an incident where he forgot to remove his holstered handgun from his belt when he left the range, and a woman completely freaked (screaming and yelling for people to call the cops) when he was pumping gas at the self-serve pumps, so I don't know if it's possible for us to get back to the point where people wouldn't be calling the cops about someone having a rifle rack in their pickup.

The AR pistol is an interesting way to comply with the law.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:09:19 PM EDT
You know, after reading my post where I said "what does it matter now" I hope that it did not come across as terst. I really should have not phrased it that way. If it sounded like I was being an ass I must appologize. What I really meant was thank God it does not matter now but I think that is not the way I typed it. I must proof read better so you don't have to read my mind.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:30:17 AM EDT
C-4: I just moved to NH and applied for my CCW permit this weekend and got to ask my CLEO the details on the law. I was dismayed to learn that you can't carry an unloaded rifle in the vehicle if you have loaded mags. If you do, it is considered a 'loaded rifle' and is therefore illegal.

An AR pistol is a good way around the law, assuming you have your CCW.

NH Law Post
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 5:56:31 PM EDT by C-4]

Originally Posted By CFFUTS23:
C-4: I just moved to NH and applied for my CCW permit this weekend and got to ask my CLEO the details on the law. I was dismayed to learn that you can't carry an unloaded rifle in the vehicle if you have loaded mags. If you do, it is considered a 'loaded rifle' and is therefore illegal.

An AR pistol is a good way around the law, assuming you have your CCW.

NH Law Post

CFFUTS23,

I read your answer in my thread (www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=245906&page=1&#-1).

I can't prove that what your CLEO said is wrong, but don't necessarily take his word for it. The CLEO here didn't know that machine guns were still legal to transfer and I had to explain what the NFA of 1934 was all about when I went for an Uzi SBR sign-off.

I know that when I went on a moose hunt in northern NH in 2002, 2 different game wardens stopped us a total of 3 times to check if our rifles were loaded. As long as the loaded magazine is not attached to the rifle you are good to go. That was my understanding and they left as soon as they saw the bolt come out of the chamber and saw either an empty magwell or no shells in a gun having a hinged-mag.

I went shooting on Saturday with a retired (2 years ago) Laconia cop and he didn't say anything about my already-loaded AR mags. I always go to the range with my AR and AK mags loaded. So much so that I will often have a Chinese canvas chest rig on with three loaded AK mags. This will completely put a cramp in going to the range as I like to load my mags at home.

I will ask the retired cop specifically about the loaded magazines. But I would be shocked if your CLEO was right because I've never heard anyone ever mention that law in the countless times I've gone shooting with people. I realize that many other states do not allow loaded magazines in a car.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:50:21 AM EDT
Any additional information on the topic from LEOs would be greatly appreciated. I've also had a number of experiences where my local LEO was wrong and I'm hoping that I can pre-load my mags at home before heading to the range. Thx
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:28:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By C-4:
I can't prove that what your CLEO said is wrong, but don't necessarily take his word for it. The CLEO here didn't know that machine guns were still legal to transfer and I had to explain what the NFA of 1934 was all about when I went for an Uzi SBR sign-off.

Kind of sad when you have to explain to law enforcement what the law is.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:45:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:

Originally Posted By C-4:

Kind of sad when you have to explain to law enforcement what the law is.

CLEOs, depending on the department, have an administrative role. So much so that the most recent CLEO here became the town administrator and often use their experience as a stepping stone into politics.
Top Top