Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2005 10:07:51 PM EDT
While trying to take off my A2 hider I could not stop the barrel from spinning in the aluminum blocks. I finally got it off but not without making marks on the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like you aren't tightening down your vice enough.  What kind of vice jaw inserts are you using?  Do they fit the bbl well?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
sounds like you aren't tightening down your vice enough.  What kind of vice jaw inserts are you using?  Do they fit the bbl well?

look like normal inserts to me?  At first I tried using a towel inbetween the barrel and the vise block, but the barrel was spinning too much.  I then put the barrel in naked and it seemed to hold better but was still sliding... I eventually got the hider to loosen but was was wondering if there are any other ways to secure it better.  I hand tightened the vise as best I as I could.

BTW, I torqued the hider to begin with a lot of ft pounds so I was expecting the barrel to spin as it did spin while putting it on. (I couldnt get the damn thing to index properely ) I am really just looking for ways to stop the barrel from spinning.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm.. One thing I've done before is use an old upper receiver and use the receiver vice blocks on it with the bbl indexed into it so it can't move.  Use caution with this methode as you can put too much torque on the bbl.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose if one had two vises you could use the barrel blocks and the action block at the same time.

I was thinking of something along the lines of something to secure the front sight somehow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's one thing you can add to the above advice.......at the first sign of the barrel spinning go get your propane torch and judiciously heat your FH a bit. Differential expansion will reduce your torque requirements somewhat.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:39:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Try rosin,   I use it to pull barrels of of Remy's.   its pretty messy but sticks like freakin super glue
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:48:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Leather inserts
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never needed a vise to remove a flash suppressor. I usually just rest the rifle on its buttstock on the floor between my knees, hold it tightly with one hand, and wrench off the flash suppressor with the other hand.

If it is really stubborn, I just sit on the rifle and loosen it this way. In armorer's school, they called this the "butt vise". No kidding.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If it is really stubborn, I just sit on the rifle and loosen it this way. In armorer's school, they called this the "butt vise". No kidding.

Butt vise???  Huh.  They got a patent on that yet?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#11]
good points as well.  I usually thread the FS hand tight then wrench it to where it's properly indexed.  I typically use Phantom 5c2 supressors and they generally only need about 3/4 of a turn to index.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#12]
How do they torque the extenstion to 150ft?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I use hard wood blocks laced with talc powder and a 8" jaw vise and grag the barrel under the hand guards.  This prevents the block from maring the finish, the powder wipes off the barrel when completed, and unlike using a upper vise block, the torque is not transfered threw the upper receiver (read take a chance of changing barrel index in the upper receiver).

As for the barrel extension, same set up, but use a 3/4" torque wrench (read 150 is a walk in the park and kind of on the low side setting with this wrench.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I used two large pieces of lumber and jammed the vice down. The barrel did not budge a single bit even when the wood blocks weren't shaped to the barrel. I kept them in a "V" configuration.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top