Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2004 8:07:02 PM EDT
Multiple answers are welcome in the poll.

First off, thanks for looking as always

My local FFL can't keep ARs in stock. Around here people seem to be buying like crazy. While it warms my heart to see ARs flying off the shelves I'd like to hear from you-what do you think are the root causes behind it all?

Is it primarily fueled by the sunset, making "evil" features legal again?

Are you buying yours now in anticipation of a stronger AWB, possibly with a Kerry Whitehouse?

A "smoke em while you got em" type of thing?

All of the above?

If there anything else I'm missing?

I must admit that I feel compelled to buy as many stripped lowers, LPKs, and uppers as I can reasonably afford. Even though I have the parts to build six complete (yet basic) ARs I feel a very strong urge to buy more. This is in addition to all of the factory and handbuilt ARs already in my collection. Looking around it's clear that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

If you are currently on a buying spree (or want to be) I'd like to hear from you. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
People are getting in before the lock, so to speak.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I was well set up before the ban ended. Lowers, uppers, stocks, etc. I put 8 ARs together and still have a couple of lowers left.
Got a couple of Aks on order and a DSA Para congo on order. I ain't letting this window pass....

I figure they are at best an excellent investment. At worst, a good investment. And I get to shoot 'em. If your Sigarms would make a 550series rifle for us lowly civilians I'll buy 2 of those also
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was well set up before the ban ended. Lowers, uppers, stocks, etc. I put 8 ARs together and still have a couple of lowers left.
Got a couple of Aks on order and a DSA Para congo on order. I ain't letting this window pass....

I figure they are at best an excellent investment. At worst, a good investment. And I get to shoot 'em. If your Sigarms would make a 550series rifle for us lowly civilians I'll buy 2 of those also

I want a 552.  A guy at our local gun show that deals in full auto, he had a pristine 552 for sale.  1 of 5 in the U.S.  

ETA : Oh, and on the actual topic, I think it's due to the ban ending.  I think most of the people buying them are the people that believed that you could NOT actually buy an AR or AK or whatever because the ban was in effect.  Those wonderful uneducated people.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
reason i m buying is incase kerry is elected god forbid. For some reason i beleive next one will not have sunset date.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
reason i m buying is incase kerry is elected god forbid. For some reason i beleive next one will not have sunset date.

+1

AR15s are better than money in the bank right now.  So, um, if you DO have money in the bank, buy ARs instead... LOL
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys-please keep em coming!

As far as a new production civilian legal Sig carbine goes I'd love to see one as well. Unfortunately nobody of consequence will listen to a lowly technician. If they did we'd all have them
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Getem while you can mentality.  That is why I ordered two LE Colt ARs (one in .223 and the other in 9mm) with all the evil features.  Same reason I bought a five seven and 1000 rounds of ammo for it.  Lastly, the same reason I am retrofitting my RRA M4gery (minus the bayo lug).
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to mention that good guns tend to hold their value quite well, so barring legislative action (such as a repeal of 922(o) making anything-not-a-M16 worth a bit less than before, or an AWB), it's hard to lose much money on an AR (unless you start putting bolt-ons on it)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I want a no-ban! Actually I just want an AR.

Even if Kerry gets elected I don't see AR's being banned...not right away anyway. He may attempt to get some type of ban set like Clinton did. But you still have a lot of conservatives and such in other parts of government that should be able to keep an all out ban from becoming law. If the 2nd admendment means anything to anyone an all out ban of any weapon shouldn't be able to come into effect. If he does somehow do it I just hope you can keep what you have. Long as I have one of everything I will be happy

BTW...don't think I am pro-kerry. I voted Bush today...and I am wearing a BUSH/CHENEY shirt as I sit here and type.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Is it primarily fueled by the sunset, making "evil" features legal again?
       Yes  
I'm confident 90% of ARs being bought right now are a direct result of the ban sunsetting.

Once I got used to shooting my first AR (20" Bushmaster) I knew I wanted an "M4'gery", but I couldn't afford a pre-ban and I refused to buy one that was neutered, so my only choice was to wait.  After the ban went "bye-bye" I held-off for as long as I could - an entire week! - for things to die down then got on a waiting list for an LE6920.  

I personally don't believe another ban will pass the House since the Dems don't control it but if it looks like one starts to pick up steam, I'll buy some lowers in preparation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If something would happen and there was a ban would uppers still be made? I'm assuming they coule since you don't even need an FFL to get one? The ban did nothing...the Clinton administration even admitted it. So another one shouldn't happen but it could.

I need to go ahead and get a lower...just incase something happens. I am getting an upper for xmas. Maybe I need to go ahead and place an order for a lower.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
There were a lot of stupid people out there, (some casual gun owners included), who thought that these guns were banned by the 1994 law.  Of course we know the ban was mostly about cosmetics, but I still meet an unbelieveable amount of people that think ar15s were totally banned for the last ten years.  

It would be nice to hear from gun shop owners about this.  They would know if they are selling to knowledgeable gun owners or not.  Scratch that.  Some of the dealers were even uneducated about the law.

For me in IL, I'm actually more worried about a state ban and that's why I want to get at least a couple lower receivers soon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Get em while you can
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve been on a buying frenzy; Ars, FALs and AKs. I fear that there is a much worse ban right around the corner; I hope I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm buying for alot of the same reasons listed above.  I don't know WHAT's going to come down the pike as far as future legislation but whatever happens, I won't be able to blame myself for not getting what I want now.

BTW, in the last 4 days I've spent just under $5,000 on AR's and I'm gonna spend a couple of thousand more before the election.  

My buddy whose store I run my 4473's through is seeing the same thing as you're talking about CJan'.  Every time I've been in his shop the past month or so there's been a bunch of folks there asking about or buying AR's.  Right now, about the only AR that stays on his shelf for more than a couple of days are the heavy BBL'd "Competition style" guns like the V-Match.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:08:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I keep thinking of getting one, but I havnt broke down and done it yet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:42:32 AM EDT
[#19]
My personal take is it's an "all of the above" answer. but as an interesting counter point, I stopped by a dealer in Ohio this last weekend and asked him if his AR's where flying off the self and he replied, "No, not at all" which was easy to believe as he had around 5-10 different models on display. Just in case you are thinking it's his prices, while not the cheapest guy in town, his prices are not extremely inflated either.

How many of you are trying to branch out into other "military style" carbines and rifles (AK's, FAL's, etc.) trying to cover all of your bases should Kerry get in?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:14:00 AM EDT
[#20]
cgv69, where in Ohio is this dealer?  I may have to take a drive from WV.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:16:38 AM EDT
[#21]
If Kerry gets in, all he has to say is: "terrorists can get an assault weapon anywhere they want". We all know what comes next.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#22]
The previous ban was a miserable failure, as far as crime reduction goes.  So, that would be plenty of reason to reject a similar new ban.  Also, due to the internet we gun owners are much better organized to resist.  We have been able to expose the lies told about what an AWB will do, the guns affected, and the stupidity of the cosmetic features ban.  

(Why should we let politicians who know nothing about firearms design our firearms for us, dictate how they are to be held?)

So, a new proposed ban would have to be much more extensive.  Remember, it was very difficult to get the first ban passed, one vote, and cheating (holding the vote open long after the time was up).

We must not allow "grandfather" clauses to be attached.  That is a divide and conquer method.  We must not allow "except for police" to be attached.  We must not allow a sunset provision.  

The purpose of the sunset was to get it passed.  Without that, it would have failed.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Kerry will blame this guy.  It's really Kerry's fault.      

Colt_SBR
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#24]
They're all being bought up by terrorists and gangs.

Here
1. Existing AR owners are buying up rifles and parts to expand their collection due to pent up desire for evil features and fear of a new, more restrictive ban.

2. New AR owners are buying them up becuase a) they mistakenly thought they were unavailable for the past 10 years, b) they were waiting for the ban to sunset so they could buy a proper rifle, or c) they want to get one while they can due to fear of a new, more restrictive ban.

Has anyone taken into consideration that AR sales were probably very slow in the months leading up to the sunset?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#25]
It's kind of a silly idea, but I've always thought that if we're faced with a more Draconian weapons ban, one backdoor tactic (while still fighting directly) would be to insist that any restrictions apply to ALL citizens, including police, military, etc. that they could not possess any restricted weapon except during the time they were specifically "on the clock" , that all restricted weapons had to be housed in an armory (e.g. police station, etc.), and that they would be subject to the same penalties as any other citizen.  Wouldn't work of course, but it would strike some fear into a few hearts.  Just a thought.  

More on topic, the rush to buy AR's and other firearms is probably due to the combination of factors described above.  There is a secondary effect though...a greater availability of "post-ban" rifles and rifles that are being sold to purchase new guns, at decent prices.  I've recently gotten a super deal on a milled Bulgarian AK and have been offered several good buys on post-ban AR's.  For someone who doesn't care about bayo lugs and doesn't like collapsable stocks, there are some bargains out there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#26]
The Black Rifle Disease  Is spreading like wildfire.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The Black Rifle Disease  Is spreading like wildfire.

Good!
Hopefully there will be so many that the idea of a ban becomes moot
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
cgv69, where in Ohio is this dealer?  I may have to take a drive from WV.  

Target World in Cincinnati.

I "roll my own" so I didn't really pay attention to what he had in stock but I sure you could call and ask?... Target World
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Are you buying yours now in anticipation of a stronger AWB, possibly with a Kerry Whitehouse?

Not my first, or my last, but certainly a few in between for this reason.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#30]
CJan_NH,

Start a poll.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
CJan_NH,

Start a poll.

Okay, I'll try to figure it out.

Edited to add: Done.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Personal reason:   I enjoy  having  a variety of  AR in various configurations.   I also am a little  paranoid about  the return of  a stronger  AWB in the future.  SAince the  ban  went away  I have purchased  two  new no bans and  converted a  post-ban  rifle  to  no-ban configuration.  If  Kerry wins the election next week  I will  go out and   buy  a couple more lowers and start building them  up to completion  before inauguration day
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I voted buying 'em now before a stronger ban comes into play.  Also I like pie.

I think receivers, mags, and ammo is crucial right now until at least next summer.  The GFWs are going to try a new ban next year.  I have little faith that we can count on the congress to abort any gun bill that comes up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I think receivers, mags, and ammo is crucial right now until at least next summer.  The GFWs are going to try a new ban next year.  I have little faith that we can count on the congress to abort any gun bill that comes up.

yeah that was my thought too.  stocked up on stripped lower receivers, mags, ammo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm just helping out so it won't flood our street
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I think having M16s & M4s in the television news footage 24 hours a day has something to do with it.   News pieces shot in Iraq and Afganistan, or at bases where soldiers are departing feature a lot of these type weapons being carried or used.  Not since the Viet Nam period has there been so much air time for the AR rifles.  This has certainly put them more on my mind than would be the case otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I had all my parts ready to go 2 1/2 years ago when I found out the law was set to expire.  I then proceeded to spend 3 hours a day on awbsunset.com and chewing my nails down to the bone until 9/13.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#38]
The AWB was publicity for the firearms vendors/manufacturers. Now people that never heard of them before the ban will be going out and buying military style semi-autos.

It's like a new renaissance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#39]
the kerry factor
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Just doing my part to keep these evil (so called) assault weapons off of our streets...  

As far as purchasing AR's as an investment, I am concerned that many of the proposed state bans seem to ban transfer of ownership.  Although there are worse things than being "stuck" with a
safe(s) full of AR's...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cgv69, where in Ohio is this dealer?  I may have to take a drive from WV.  hr

Target World in Cincinnati.

I "roll my own" so I didn't really pay attention to what he had in stock but I sure you could call and ask?... Target World

I called but they didn't have the one I want.      Thanks for the heads-up though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Even if Skerry wins, he will have a war on his hands to get a new AWB. However, I think he will try to do as much as he can thru EO that he is able legally to do...so buying an AR right now isn't a bad idea. I just hope my home state doesn't elect this asshole...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
There were a lot of stupid people out there, (some casual gun owners included), who thought that these guns were banned by the 1994 law.  Of course we know the ban was mostly about cosmetics, but I still meet an unbelieveable amount of people that think ar15s were totally banned for the last ten years.

+1.  As much hype as there was coming out of the media, you'd believe that everyone that wrote for a newspaper, tv news, web site, or any other news outlet  all believed that there hadn't been a single black rifle of any shape or size legally sold since the AWB started.  Dipshits all of'em, I say.

It would be nice to hear from gun shop owners about this.  They would know if they are selling to knowledgeable gun owners or not.  Scratch that.  Some of the dealers were even uneducated about the law.

Yeah.  Hardly a day goes by that some poor sod doesn't post to ARFCOM with a tale of woe regarding the dumbass behind the counter at the LGS who won't sell a rifle or lower for some stupid reason that stems from their lack of a clue.

For me in IL, I'm actually more worried about a state ban and that's why I want to get at least a couple lower receivers soon.

Yeah, you poor bastards in Illinois have got it pretty rough.  Nothing like a whole state that has to bow to the nonsense whims of the gun-fearing liberal population of Chicago.  My family still lives downstate and I get a  regular news update of the nonsense your buddy Rob Blagojevich (sp?)  is up to.  It's really going to suck if he lives up to his campaign threat to start charging $500 annualy for that Firearm Owner's ID.

But this isn't a political forum, and I'm digressing.  I just really hate liberals.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Ummmm, would you believe grotesque stupidity?

Seriously, though, there isn't a damn thing on the market now, that you couldn't have bought the pieces for, in a calm and reasonable way, six months ago, and assembled the day after the ban expired.

From recent postings on this site, I suspect that a large percentage of those ARs flying off the dealers shelves are being bought by people who already owned ARs, who should know better than feed the sharks pumping up prices.  Maybe there are a bunch of newbies jumping on board the past 6 weeks, but somehow I doubt they are buying the majority of the stuff.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#45]
i'm buying an extra for my daughter(13).working on getting a lower with her birthday or name with one number for the serial number.will piss her psycho mother off almost as much as me just getting custody of her.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I've bought a pistol lower and a couple of Stag Arms lowers just incase Skerry wins.  Hell I might even pick up one or two more at the 1500 this weekend if there are any reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#47]
If Kerry wins I figure we have six months before he gets his ban to the floor for a vote. I will have at least ten lowers by then and 20 mags or so. I will especially load up on Glock Mags in every caliber. Make no mistake, a kerry win means a 99% chance of a stronger AWB becoming law, so plan for it and vote wisely...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Heck, I never even LIKED ARs... I thought they were UGLY, and I bought a Ruger Mini-14 instead... BUT as soon as the AWB was on a roll, I ran out and bought the very last AR15 on the Bo Barrow's shelf for $989!  For the last 10 years, I've had just that one AR, and every time I wanted another one, I'd think "awe, but then I can't have this or that on it..." so I wouldn't want to buy a second one.  Now that I can have it all, I'm planning on buying AT LEAST one more while I can.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top