Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/28/2005 2:46:15 PM EDT
I need to now what type of plastic handguards are made of. I'd like to have a pair cut down and then welded to fit a project I'm working on, but the welder needs to know what they are made of , or he can't do it. Does anyone know? I'd much rather have them welded then try to put them back together with fiberglass and epoxy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:00:06 PM EDT
Depends on who they are made by.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:04:55 PM EDT
Ok, does anyone know which material the different manufacturers use? I can get my hands on Diemaco, but if the material isn't suitable for the welder then I'll need to use someone else's.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:25:22 PM EDT
Cavarly Arms says:

CAV-15 MKII Receivers are injection molded from glass filled nylon 6, a polymer material very similar to that used by Glock, HK, Steyr and other firearms companies.

I assume their furniture is made from the same stuff.

My CavArms receiver does not have the same texture or feel as the Colt or RRA handguards, so I assume they're made from something else. Maybe the CavArms guys would know since they're plastics people.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:42:57 PM EDT
Love

Like YELLOWV said.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:14:29 AM EDT
I've sent Cav Arms a message. Hopefully they'll be able to help me out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:54:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 9:59:11 AM EDT by _DR]
Colts are compression molded high temperature plastics.

Most of the no name brands HGs are soft injection molded plastics.
This makes a difference when your barrel gets extremly not, the injection molded plastics can melt and deform.

Diemaco is owned by colt so they will likely have the same processes.

You can buy genuine Colt handguards from SAW, about $40 I believe.

You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:48:43 AM EDT
I realize that you get what you pay for, however, I need to know exactly what they are made of. The Colt/Diemaco product may be superior but without knowing more I can't have them shortened. Cav Arms has just told me that their handguards are 30% glass filled Nylon 6. Hopefully this is enough info for Plastixplus to shorten a pair of handguards down to 4.75" for me. This rifle is going to rock if I can pull this off. I'd like to thank everyone for their help and I'll keep you posted, that is, if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:55:56 AM EDT
Plastic
Top Top