Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/3/2005 8:01:27 PM EDT
I have been noticing some references to H2 carbine buffers lately and I was wondering what they are. Are they heavier than an H buffer or do they fall in between a standard CAR and an H? Does it slow down the cycle enough to offer any great reliability or performance advantage?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:17:33 PM EDT
Yes the H2 buffer is somewhat heavier than the earlier H buffer. Its a good choice for carbines with 14.5inch or shorter barrels as these guns seem to sometimes have bolt bounce problems. Weight wise it falls between the Colt M4 heavy H buffer at 3.8 ounces and the Colt 9mm black heavy car buffer at 5.5 ounces. Sorry I dont know the H2 buffers exact weight, however it feels almost as heavy as the Colt 9mm black heavy buffer. Please e-mail me if you have any questions as I dont come to this forum very often.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:14:27 AM EDT

A handy buffer weight list...

BUFFER WEIGHTS

Standard Rifle - 5.15oz

Standard CAR - 2.9oz

H CAR Style - 3.77oz

H2 CAR Style - 4.7oz

H3 CAR Style – 5.6oz

9mm - 5.47oz, made of steel

Special purpose buffers designed for suppressed SMG's or 9mm carbines using high pressure (+P+) ammunition

9mm A - 6.3oz CAR style buffer

9mm B - 7.1oz CAR style buffer

9mm X - 7.9oz CAR style buffer

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:50:58 AM EDT
On a buffer related subject, has anyone used the hydraulic buffer from MGI?

Or Buffer Technologies? I think they are also available or made by or called Restor HB

and there is the Colt version (old stuff) that I found for a meager $500+
LINK

Personally, I don't have a buffer problem, but always interested to hear thoughts on these things for the experts.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:49:14 AM EDT
Thanks for the weight comparison. I know that even regular H buffers help slow things down a bit, so maybe an H2 might be something worth looking into...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:57:38 AM EDT
Ok, now I'm getting ambitious... are there any significant advantages/disadvantages of pairing a 5.47 oz 9mm buffer with a regular 5.56mm setup? I'd imagine it would amplify the positive points, but can it actually slow down the action too much?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:49:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By redfisher:
On a buffer related subject, has anyone used the hydraulic buffer from MGI?

www.mgimilitary.com/images/buffer.jpg

I have one and am quite pleased with its performance. I'm sure that you'll find plenty of recommendations in the following thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=241393
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:47:31 PM EDT
taggage
Top Top