Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2009 3:26:12 PM EDT
So, I got laid off (I knew it was coming) and came home to find an empty box in my mail with a 'so sorry' letter from the USPS. In it was supposed to be 850 rounds of 5.56 I traded a nice Ohio Ordnance upper for last month. The guy sending it double boxed it, but it got caught in some machinery apparently and was torn open - so the inner box of ammo is likely sitting in the dead letter office. Some days you're the bug, somedays you're the windshield. Guess I'm the bug today.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks man!
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, I got laid off (I knew it was coming) and came home to find an empty box in my mail with a 'so sorry' letter from the USPS. In it was supposed to be 850 rounds of 5.56 I traded a nice Ohio Ordnance upper for last month. The guy sending it double boxed it, but it got caught in some machinery apparently and was torn open - so the inner box of ammo is likely sitting in the dead letter office. Some days you're the bug, somedays you're the windshield. Guess I'm the bug today.

Pretty sure you are not allowed to ship ammo via USPS!

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
sorry to hear that you had such a crappy day Morg
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the broken box in to the PO (with the "sorry"note), ask for a supervisor, and request that the Nixie clerk/station be asked if they found your lost items. 850 rounds is pretty obvious. It probably should have been marked as hazardous...just act stupid and say you didn't know...  
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh man, I just hope Mr."I'm sorry" doesn't get any bad news soon now that he has all of YOUR ammo for free to go postal with!!!

You would think that they could figure out how to package up all that loose ammo and ship it to the address on the shredded box.....they figured out how to get the empty box to you. Of course, maybe this "machine" is designed to shred boxes so they have no idea what loose items go into which boxes.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow,that ALL sucks...I'm outta work too..Been for 3 weeks now.. As for the package,play dumb at PO,,,I'm almost positive it's the senders responibility to label correctly and ship thru correct carrier..no liability to you.. Good luck,hope everything turns around!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't have any beer in the fridge, your day is shot to hell.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take the broken box in to the PO (with the "sorry"note), ask for a supervisor, and request that the Nixie clerk/station be asked if they found your lost items. 850 rounds is pretty obvious. just act stupid and say you didn't know...  

+1.

Morg, Sorry to hear  about you getting laid off. It's happening a lot lately. We've lost about a third of our terminal here. all new hires, a bunch of kids who'd just moved their young families from other parts of the country to work here.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear about that, man.  I swear they keep one gorilla at each post office and teach it to count to 13 THEN SMASH!  I bet the USPS employee who wound up with my $300 barrel is enjoying your ammo with it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear about that Morg.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]
What is with the post office these days!

I just got a MO that was mailed to me Priority on the 22nd of December, 3 days anywhere my ass!

That really sucks Morg, not withstanding the fact that it is illegal to mail live ammunition.

Hope you get some resolution and a nice job to boot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to hear about such negative waves.

My prescription for crappy days like that is:

Crack open some ice cold Miller High Lifes and watch an allstar cast in "Kelly's Heroes".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beAQVm1j56w&feature=related
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Morg, Sorry to hear of  your troubles. Hang in there Man..
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Last week the USPS snapped in half my M14 Synth. Stock. In the last year I've received other gun items where the boxes were torn open. After a little internet searching I'm finding more and more gun shipping snafus.  I think there's some  hanky panky goin' on in the P.O. with gun related stuff.

This internet rumour brought to you by Hal
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry Morg.

Hang in there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys. Fortunately beer was on sale. I've been in contact with the member I did the trade with - he's being really cool about it as well - he apparently had one box inside another, so when the outside box got torn, the inner box fell out? It was a priority box and it took ten days to make it to Phoenix and is stamped that it got to PHX without it's contents, so they are likely in a dead letter office. I am hoping I can just recover the material.

As far as shipping ammo, doesn't it just need an ORM-D label on it? Seems to me I've gotten ammo from AIM before through the USPS, or is it just UPS? Maybe that's how they'll get us - we can have all the guns we want, but no ammo can be shipped anywhere... Anyway, I thought it was a good trade - a nice upper for 900 rounds of brass case 5.56 - the guy I traded with was really nice - said he'd eat the cost of the ammo and return the upper if things don't work out, but I don't want to do that to him. We'll just wait and see what happens. I'm sure it'll work out - it just was the last straw yesterday.

Thanks for all the commiseration - I have a few things I can sell on the EE (although I don't want to) Of course, I finally found an M4 barrel for my 723 build, now can't afford it. I guess it'll end up with a ltwt barrel I already have. I plan on using this time to finish up the book I've been working on - a couple of months it should be ready to send to my agent, then maybe I won't need that toolbelt!
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Hope it all works out for ya Morg.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Ammo through USPS = Big No No.

After further research, I'm totally confused - try to make sense out of this:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065052
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Things that seem to go wrong sometimes end up making something else work out, I hope this is the case with your situation.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Things that seem to go wrong sometimes end up making something else work out, I hope this is the case with your situation.

I've always found that when you look back on the worst things that ever happened to you, something good always comes out of it. Things could always be worse. SgtRock - FWIW the local postmaster couldn't even figure out the damn regulations. Anyway, I feel better for venting. Thanks for listening guys. It was a retro nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Go ahead and vent, we can take it. That's what friends are for.

I try to be an optimist when possible so, at least it was just ammo. Ammo can be replaced. It would have been MUCH worse if it had be a super rare retro part that couldn't be replaced.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Go ahead and vent, we can take it. That's what friends are for.

I try to be an optimist when possible so, at least it was just ammo. Ammo can be replaced. It would have been MUCH worse if it had be a super rare retro part that couldn't be replaced.

Doc

Well, yeah - but I didn't BUY more ammo when it was available because I thought I had this coming. Now I'm broke, out an upper, and try and find 5.56 right now, even if I could afford it. Sorry, I'm really frustrated right now. I can't talk about this anymore. I figured I'd at least have one of my carbine builds done and enough ammo to feel comfortable, but hey, it didn't work out that way. The ammo thing was just an extra kick in the nuts I didn't need. Sorry for the rant.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Morg buddy...
If you're under 40 (I think), jump into the Army (or any service) as a Reservist. You'll get decent cash (when you get to E-5 at least), opprotunities to deploy, health care etc.

I am not a recruiter nor retention person. I have seen many folks in similar situations such as yours come in. On my last deployment there were a few families, father son, mother and son serving together very close in rank.

I myself am in a slump at work (albeit not as bad as yours), and am considering a deployment to get back on my feet, clear my head and cure my "wonder-lust".

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Morg buddy...
If you're under 40 (I think), jump into the Army (or any service) as a Reservist. You'll get decent cash (when you get to E-5 at least), opprotunities to deploy, health care etc.

That is exactly what I did when I was last laid off in 1983...I don't regret it...I had 15 years of great times with my USAFR "family"...(Until medical problems ended that)...

On the lost ammo...No postal installation is unwatched...The Man is everywhere...If that ammo is truly lost (or even stolen) you can be assured that you will get a visit from Door Kicker 6 about it...  
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I'm nearly 48, so I'm a little old to enlist. They just don't want tough old men like me - we're too set in our ways. Didn't know I was such an old fart eh?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I know how you feel.  A similar thing happened to me yesterday, but with Fedex.  

However, I was buying from a company and I think it was insured by someone.  I have a few calls to make on Monday.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=312&t=169124&page=1&#-1
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well, I'm nearly 48, so I'm a little old to enlist. They just don't want tough old men like me - we're too set in our ways. Didn't know I was such an old fart eh?

I *wish* I was only 48...  
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I am almost 47 years old. 6 years active duty, about 15 Reserve. To this day when I go to a "school" I can keep up with most kids and smoke other "young'ins" in PT. I am a fat old bastard and this just shows that the Video game generation spent thier early days on the couch while when I was kid I was out playing "Combat" with my plastic "crank-back" Thompson and plastic helmet liner...
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am almost 47 years old. 6 years active duty, about 15 Reserve. To this day when I go to a "school" I can keep up with most kids and smoke other "young'ins" in PT. I am a fat old bastard and this just shows that the Video game generation spent thier early days on the couch while when I was kid I was out playing "Combat" with my plastic "crank-back" Thompson and plastic helmet liner...

Don't get me wrong - I can still outwork most 20-somethings. A few years ago I took my friend's little brother for a hike  - this was up in Colorado. He had lived there for several years and was moving away and had never even seen the canyon in his backyard. I on the other hand, had spent 4-6 hours every weekend out there with a pack on my back, just wandering. To make a long story short, I ran his ass ragged. We covered about 15 miles that day, much of it vertical - then I asked him if he wanted to race the last mile back to the house.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top