Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/9/2003 1:04:04 PM EDT
At my local sheels all sports thay have all the rifle ammo out on a self but the pistol ammo, including .22lr, locked up in a glass case.  They act like pistols are so dangerus or somthing that they have to keep it locked up so "just anyone" can't tuch it.  I am almost 18 and I find it funny that I will be able to buy ammo for my 7mm rem mag browning BAR wich can kill a man at 500 yards. (If  I coud hit him have
It is ludicriss (I blame my spelling on the public schools)  to think that if you can't be trusted  with handgun you can be trusted with with a rifle. I belive it should be 18 for every thing, drinking, all firearms, smoking, voting, drafting and so on.  Its a dubble standard. Theys say im legaly an adult and responsible enugh to vote when I turn 18 but still don't thnik I can make my own decions about trivial things like drinking.

Sorry for the ranting but I had to get that off my chest.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah stupid as it may be, they are probably just covering their ass from state law.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
...and your 10/22 has to follow the same rules as your AR-15.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Dear Gunaddict: Please accept my appologies for the current Publick skool system, but as you can see everything else is going down the tubes also. My only hope is that a majority of your generation can rectify the injustice and lies foisted upon you. At 58 years I see no hope for reason or sanity in the current (my) generation. We are the feel good generation and do not want to rock any boats. We will keep on voting for the snakes that support firearms laws and the education establishment. Hope I have not stepped on any toes but I thought Gunaddict ought to know the truth. Sincerely, jeep  
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
[rolleyes] huh?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I asked at walmart why they keep the .223 behind a locked case. They said it is state law that all ammo must be behind lock and key. So i asked about the shotgun shells out on a shelf. Hes like, oh, not THAT kind of ammunition. Blahblah
So i go next door to Meijer, and everything except pistol ammunition is out on a shelf. I guess Meijer better read the state law ;)
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I work at wal-mart, I know I know no funny remarks guys but I get a 10% discount on ammo, any way i don't know why but if you purchase  .22lr if yopu say it is for a firle you can buy it, if you say it is for a pistol you can't if your underage, which I am only 20,
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Gun Addict,

Is that the one in Appleton? You should try Gander Mountain, they are usually more friendly.

That said,

You guys still dont know how well you have it until you go somewhere where its worse. They wont sell 9mm around here to anyone without a pistol license no matter what your age is.

At least you'll be better armed than the punk with the handgun though. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotta have a LTC to buy any pistol ammo here.And gun_addict, don't blame the school system for your poor spelling.It's your responsibility to study.I see too many kids nowadays too lazy to pick up a book and read.I'm not calling you lazy or trying to flame ya.Just don't go passin' the buck on a crappy school system.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]
About being 18. I believe that if you are old enough to be drafted and sent to the other side of the globe to die in a jungle or a desert for your country then all of it' privliges should be open to you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Gun_addict:

You are ultimately correct in your example of how stupid gun regulation is.

But like Redbone said, NEVER blame anyone else for your lack of the grasp of the English language.  You may have beefs with the American school system, and many other things, but if you are as such a "Right Winger" as I believe I am, the first thing to remember is that you, and you ALONE are totally responsible for your own life.  That includes your presentation of yourself.  Speaking, posting on a forum, whatever.  Left-wingers blame their own personal shortcomings on others.  Right-wingers take responsibility for their own actions.

Again, you're not "wrong" per se in some of your points, but my suggestion is to never blame anyone (including our government) for any of your own shortcomings.  It took ME a long time to figure this out by the way.  I hope you will read & learn so it won't take you as long as it did for me to finally "GET IT!"

Your bud,

Anthony
I understand where you're coming from, and I believe you're headed in the right direction, but please do a lot of open-minded research into what your beliefs are.  You'll find out that you're still right, but you'll know for real in your heart just how right you are.

Anthony
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember when I was 18, I tried to buy 45 acp ammo at the local retail store. Well, I was declined so I went back to the sporting goods counter picked up a can of powder, some bullets, dies, and primers and went back to the same checkout. The lady just smiled at me when she knew that I had gotten around the law by "rolling my own" ammo at home. I had been reloading rifle ammo since I was 12 and simply added another caliber to my list of dies. At 18, you can't buy it assembled, but you can assemble it your self for a lot less money too!

Karl
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you really have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo from gander mountain??
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe that if you are old enough to be [b]drafted[/b] and sent to the other side of the globe to die in a jungle or a desert for your country then all of it' privliges should be open to you.
View Quote

To borrow a line from Stripes, "Son, there ain't no draft no more."  

Nevertheless, I get your point.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Gun_Addict, a lot of stores around here are like that too.  Wal-Mart has everything except shotgun shells under lock and key.  But at Bass Pro just down the road everything, including pistol ammo, is out in the open.

You're right.  It doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
My local scheels will sell me pistol ammo (im 19) I just tell them its for my carbine/rifle.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
... Theys say im legaly an adult and responsible enugh to vote when I turn 18 but still don't thnik I can make my own decions about trivial things like drinking.
View Quote

[lecture mode]  A decision about drinking is NOT trivial.  I am not against drinking.  I don't drink a lot, but I like a cold beer on a hot summer night.  It's just that alcohol has ruined a lot of lives.  Not trivial at all.  [/lecture mode]

Once I bought patches at K-mart at the "scan-it-yourself" checkout, and the terminal locked up until the cashier came over and verified my age/ID.  For patches!!! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Not to say that your opinion is off or anything Jim, but the fact that some people have ruined their lives with alcohol doesn't mean that everyone will. Some people have ruined their lives starting   their own business, does that mean that people shouldn't be able to start businesses anymore? I don't think that everyone should get punished for the idiots. I do believe that at 18, you should be as free as people that are 21.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#18]
"What I find funny..."

What I find funny is a kid with a computer at his fingertips can't spell "RESPONSIBLE" or "DANGEROUS" and then wants to bitch about not being able to buy handgun ammunition.

A kid from Wisconsin, who can't spell "ludicrous", "shelf" or "touch" blames the finest public education system in the great nation. For the past 10 years, Wisconsin has ranked No. 1 in student's SAT scores and has never placed below 3rd nationally in ACT scores.

Explain the "dubble standard" to me: you are not yet 18 and therefore it is illegal for you to have a handgun in your posession without adult supervision in Wisconsin. Have the adult buy the bangpills, you pay for lunch.

Pete

ps- I think you are a TROLL.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep, in WI you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo. I work in the gun department at Gander Germantown, and it promps the question when you ring it.....easy way around it, when we ask if it's for a pistol or rifle, just say rifle. Cool law huh[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I asked at walmart why they keep the .223 behind a locked case. They said it is state law that all ammo must be behind lock and key. So i asked about the shotgun shells out on a shelf. Hes like, oh, not THAT kind of ammunition. Blahblah
So i go next door to Meijer, and everything except pistol ammunition is out on a shelf. I guess Meijer better read the state law ;)
View Quote

Hmmm..
You wouldn't happen to be in the Ann Arbor area would you?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, in WI you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo. I work in the gun department at Gander Germantown, and it promps the question when you ring it.....easy way around it, when we ask if it's for a pistol or rifle, just say rifle. Cool law huh[/q]

So they can sell me the .22lrs if I tell them its for a rifle?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess that I shouldn’t bring up that when I was 14, I used to buy ammo from 7-11 down the street while lugging my rifle in the store (walking) on the way down to go shooting.

I even remember being stopped once as I walked from my house to go shoot.  The police officer just wanted to make sure that the rifle was unloaded in town, then smiled and told me to have fun and be safe as I headed off.

The funny thing about this is I am not that old, and have seen the changes over the years and feel sorry for the new shooter coming threw the ranks.  We didn’t need video games, just a good 22lr and off we went shooting for the day.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, in WI you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo. I work in the gun department at Gander Germantown, and it promps the question when you ring it.....easy way around it, when we ask if it's for a pistol or rifle, just say rifle. Cool law huh
View Quote

So if I tell them it's for a rifle the can sell me the .22lrs?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#24]
It is ludicriss (I blame my spelling on the public schools)  to think that if you can't be trusted  with handgun you can be trusted with with a rifle. I belive it should be 18 for every thing, drinking, all firearms, smoking, voting, drafting and so on.  Its a dubble standard. Theys say im legaly an adult and responsible enugh to vote when I turn 18 but still don't thnik I can make my own decions about trivial things like drinking.
View Quote

Holy shit I thought you were drinking when you wrote this post.  No but seriously, I know that a lot of you guys say that spelling doesn't matter but for me I find it kind of hard to take anything serious someone has to say when they spell like this.  I can understand the occasional mis-spelled word but this is just sad.  This is not meant to offend anyone or to say so-and-so is bad but to just hopefully open some eyes.  

A good man once said, "There is no blame but our own".
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Bingo......tell them it's for a rifle, and it's smooth sailing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I ugree with Gun_Addikt...you shood be abel to be invaulved in drafting at a yung age. We used to take Drafting in Junior Hi, and Hi Skool.

Sorry for being a smart ass, but I couldn't resist.  I actually knew a guy in college who used a "Speak & Spell," and I'd crack up at the fact that he actually needed one. One must read, in order to write reasonably well.  I too am guilty of getting lazy while posting online; and posting in chat rooms...forget about it. If you correct your spelling there, you're out of the discussion.

Oh yeah, I know Gun_Addict wasn't referring to "Drafting," but "The Draft" (Non-existent), or the Selective Service Registration. [):)]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not to say that your opinion is off or anything Jim, but the fact that some people have ruined their lives with alcohol doesn't mean that everyone will. Some people have ruined their lives starting   their own business, does that mean that people shouldn't be able to start businesses anymore? I don't think that everyone should get punished for the idiots. I do believe that at 18, you should be as free as people that are 21.
View Quote

I agree that just because some people have ruined their lives with alcohol, that doesn't mean that it will happen to everyone.  I'm just saying that you should make an informed decision about drinking, just like you should make an informed decision about starting your own business.  Neither one should be viewed as "trivial."  Know about the down-side of drinking so that you can successfully police your own behavior.  Don't be ignorant of the risks and warning signs.  That's all.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#28]
For assholes that critisize my spelling, First of all if I wanted insaults  I would have talked to my sister. Second of all the way my school system tried to teach me and all the other kindrgatoners how to read, write, and spell was to memorize words, not just how to teach them how to spell them but to teach the kids how to read. In stead of being able to "sound out words" we were taught to memorize them. Think about that, you would have to have memorized every word in the english language to learn how to read like that. Fortunatly my mother taught me to sound out words. This is why I cant spell worth a damn.  Also many of my spelling mistakes are just typos I missed when I proof read the post. And if you are offend because I called you an asshole, how else would you refer to some one who has nothing better to do than be an ass to people on message boards.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Get em Gun Addict

Edited to correct my spelling.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#30]
What are you trying to say , no spelling mammyfreaker ?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For assholes that critisize my spelling, First of all if I wanted insaults  I would have talked to my sister. Second of all the way my school system tried to teach me and all the other kindrgatoners how to read, write, and spell was to memorize words, not just how to teach them how to spell them but to teach the kids how to read. In stead of being able to "sound out words" we were taught to memorize them. Think about that, you would have to have memorized every word in the english language to learn how to read like that. Fortunatly my mother taught me to sound out words. This is why I cant spell worth a damn.  Also many of my spelling mistakes are just typos I missed when I proof read the post. And if you are offend because I called you an asshole, how else would you refer to some one who has nothing better to do than be an ass to people on message boards.
View Quote
frebfybyrgfrbvjhghuerbgbr ewygweygwey yfd euyfgew ehri wurfu weif0yp y33trw=  you said it Boomhower .
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I seriously thought you were making some of those spelling mistakes on purpous for the  sake of comedy.

Ah well, its cool though. You should stroll over to any airsoft forum and you would be amazed at the degree of brutality forced upon the english language. Then again I should realize most of those posting are on the younger side of the age spectrum.  

Here is a sample:

You know guys dats the best aistoft ever but you canot ay that its grate unless you saywhcie model it is bc there are five oter models and its really unbeleivavle casue I have a walrys in my pants CA sucks have you guys seen the luege of extrodinary gentlemen?

End of transmission.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#33]
If you are under 21 and want to buy .45acp or 9mm say its for a marlin carbine:) That way you can buy ammo for your pistol and your "marlin carbine!" Anyway i think its dumb you can die for your country but cant own a handgun!

Justin
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Ever thought of getting into reloading?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#35]
i dont shive a git if yore hole dodgamn famlly gitz bucked by fuzzards .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top