Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/30/2004 8:09:32 PM EST
These are some pics from my Emergency Services Team. at the range shooting it up.

First, the collection, with my personal AR the bottom most

Another view with my medic vest

The mags to shoot, all reloaded four times at least (time to buy a LULA!)

Shooting the poppers, with shoot house in background.

Shooting the GUU

Officer down, me up front with the USP

And the Aug

All told it was a great time, and the weight of IBA, Plates, M-4, 210 .223, USP, 40 .40, holster, drop leg, and medic gear really do melt away after awhile, as long as you are rigged properly. I had to draw the line at the balaclava in 98 degrees after a while though, I have my limits :-).

Luckily, we made the new guys pick up the brass, all 10,000 rounds of it. Oh yeah, a bunch of 9mm as well, heh.

Hope you like the pics!

-Redfoot
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:11:30 PM EST
Badass. Tell us about the rifles. Any problems?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:18:24 PM EST
great pics! looks like alot of fun!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:21:10 PM EST
The GUU's started to jam a bit after 3 Beta Mags within a short period, along with all the other firing we did that day. I would have been pissed, had we not been told that the OSI bastards had checked the rifles out the day before, so they were dirty when we got them. We were angry, but short on time. 2 minute strip, a little CLP, back up and running immediately. Of course, 100 rd mag dumps were frowned upon after that. Plus barrel warping becomes an issue, thank god for Nomex gloves.

I think I have the Lt. Col sold on getting us some new M2's after shooting my rifle, but I have had a harder time getting him to purchase 20 new USP .40's, although he did mention the new fiscal year starting....(yeah, when pigs fly!).

All in all, these rifles are far from new, but performed well. Next time we hope to try out the Surefires on the shoot house.

Thanks for the compliment!

-Redfoot

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:24:25 PM EST
That's a lot of loaded mags. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:28:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By Redfoot:

-Redfoot

Thanks for the Great pics, But I think you need a few more magazines
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:34:18 PM EST
There were a few more actually, and I was allotted about four of them after field expediently removing a pieceof a bullet jacket from the Aug guy's arm after a wierd ricochet. These people will do anything to avoid the 4 hour wait in the ER!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:21:57 PM EST
Dude,

EYES

-z
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:37:07 PM EST

Gangsta style yo!

Nice pics. It looks like the taxpayers are letting you have to much fun. Is turning it sideways the only way to see the pistol sights through the ballistic shield window?

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:51:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:

Gangsta style yo!

Nice pics. It looks like the taxpayers are letting you have to much fun. Is turning it sideways the only way to see the pistol sights through the ballistic shield window?

The Gangsta is funny enough , but what’s up with the guy with the AR , now I've heard of nose to charging handle , but never eyeball to rear sight

Not to mention $10,000 worth of gear and the guy in the foreground can't get a 15¢ pair of earplugs
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:08:26 PM EST

The GUU's started to jam a bit after 3 Beta Mags within a short period, along with all the other firing we did that day. I would have been pissed, had we not been told that the OSI bastards had checked the rifles out the day before, so they were dirty when we got them. We were angry, but short on time. 2 minute strip, a little CLP, back up and running immediately. Of course, 100 rd mag dumps were frowned upon after that. Plus barrel warping becomes an issue, thank god for Nomex gloves.

I think I have the Lt. Col sold on getting us some new M2's after shooting my rifle, but I have had a harder time getting him to purchase 20 new USP .40's, although he did mention the new fiscal year starting....(yeah, when pigs fly!).

All in all, these rifles are far from new, but performed well. Next time we hope to try out the Surefires on the shoot house.

Thanks for the compliment!

-Redfoot

I'm guessing you are USAF, but I am missunderstanding a lot of what I see and what you wrote.

I see a pic of a guy shooting a AR15/ M16 with a bare barrel, which certainly isn't typical mil or LE. OSI never checked out any SP/SF weapon that was an assigned weapon that I have ever heard of, they have their own. EST getting USP 40s? Not likely in either of our life times.....

What gives?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:56:15 AM EST
Not to be an ass, but I'm with Stickman. Never knew of OSI to check out weapons that were not assigned to them. I also don't know an armorer who would have taken a dirty weapon back into the armory. They ALL knew where the Half Moon was and the carbon it would collect. And in my EST days we used the M9, HK USP's ?.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:49:12 AM EST
Hey, questions/comments are to be expected . As I said, the bare/non mil AR is my own, as is the USP. GUU, M-4, M-9, and Mossberg Shotguns are the rest of the issued loadout. OSI are issued M-11's and GUU's, and unfortunately they are snaking some of our weapons due to the plain lack of them. The GUU's are their preferred weapon in the sand (so I have heard), so they are handled quite frequently and even taken on deployment, and not always replaced with another rifle, therefore our shelves have a few empty slots from time to time. Definitely a far from perfect situation.

I guess the justification is (for now) that they are deployed and need them, and we are stateside and can make due with muskets if we need to. We are slowly trading out M-4s for GUU's, but the GUU's are leaving faster than the M-4's are coming in, at least that is my understanding. If no one is deployed, there are definitley OSI/EST specific guns, but with the reality of a war and budgeting constraits we/they have to beg/borrow/steal where we can (remember, the commander demands green grass on the meridian over rifles and ammunition!)

As far as the care of weapons, even in the USAF I would expect the armorers to have more oversight on what goes on (maybe its just here), but it seems as if too many people have keys to the door, and a complaint was definitely filed. What happens if we have to grab these things in real world, and there is 3 day old fouling sitiing in them? If we had more time, We would have liked to have hunted those who had used the weapon down so they could give the weapons a thorough scrubbing and them a thorough smacking. We made due, and in a SHTF scenario, the guns would have went bang every time as they did last week, even if we fired our full loadout through them which is highly unlikely.

As far as "gansta style" through the shield window, it felt wierd (looked goofy), but that is how we are instructed, and it definitely helps with the (however small) sight picture so you are not spraying and praying.

As far as ear protection, I told these guys to get those blue bastards with the cones (I forget the make) that suction into your ears, because with the sweat the foamies were falling out. Hey, his ears, not mine!!

-Redfoot
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:00:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:07:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By brouhaha:

2 words:

Peltor ComTacs.

At a minimim the Tac 6's...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:01:49 PM EST
Help me out. WTF is a GUU?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:19:09 PM EST

It's the USAF's version of the M4 carbine. It has a A1 upper receiver with an M4 countour barrel.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:17:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By USMC03:

It's the USAF's version of the M4 carbine. It has a A1 upper receiver with an M4 countour barrel.

What?!?! As in slab-side? I suppose you wouldn't really need an elevation adjustment in a CQB rifle, but what happens if the bolt doesn't go back into battery? Whack the muzzle on the ground?hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:20:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By shortcycle: Whack the muzzle on the ground?

If that was my issue weapon and I had a failure to return to battery, that is how I would handle it. Just like a bolt stuck from coming back, but in reverse.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:26:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Originally Posted By shortcycle: Whack the muzzle on the ground?hinking.gif

If that was my issue weapon and I had a failure to return to battery, that is how I would handle it. Just like a bolt stuck from coming back, but in reverse.

It sucks that you'd have to look around to to find something to beat the muzzle on that wouldn't stuff the bore with mud or other shit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:53:29 PM EST
looks like fun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:07:49 PM EST
Redfoot,

Ok, but I am still going to say that a USP is only in your dreams.....

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:55:07 PM EST
Stickman,

As I said, when pigs fly on the USPs, but at least now I can buy personal regular capacity M-9 mags and help the poor things go bang more than once, right! I figure about 6 (with Wolf's help) should last my career, depending upon unknown circumstances.

Woohoo, gun show in town, here comes a collapsable for the RRA, so prying eyes won't dog me as much

-Redfoot
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:15:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By shortcycle:

What?!?! As in slab-side? I suppose you wouldn't really need an elevation adjustment in a CQB rifle, but what happens if the bolt doesn't go back into battery? Whack the muzzle on the ground?

Well, the M16 upper receiver is a slabside.... but the A1 has forward assist, no? Or are we assuming, since this is USAF, that they would be no FA?

In any case, the weapon in the pic referred to as the GUU is an A2 receiver, complete with A2 sights, FA, and shell deflector.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:43:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Originally Posted By shortcycle:

What?!?! As in slab-side? I suppose you wouldn't really need an elevation adjustment in a CQB rifle, but what happens if the bolt doesn't go back into battery? Whack the muzzle on the ground?

Well, the M16 upper receiver is a slabside.... but the A1 has forward assist, no? Or are we assuming, since this is USAF, that they would be no FA?

In any case, the weapon in the pic referred to as the GUU is an A2 receiver, complete with A2 sights, FA, and shell deflector.

That's what's throwing me off. There is no A1 upper in the GUU titled pic.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:31:53 AM EST
I think you guys have me on that, the actual rifle is a GAU-5B, because the the forward assist and deflector. We use a few Franken-guns as well, so that could be a little off too. Hey, at least I am getting better at this, a year and a half ago anything with a retractable stock was a CAR-15 to me .

-Redfoot
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:12:09 AM EST
Those were excellent pics, Redfoot, and thanks for sharing them with us.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:22:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 3:22:59 AM EST by Stryfe]

Slick side upper with M4 contour bbl.

Check out this thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=203885&page=2
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:23:37 AM EST
Cool pics man. I still can not get used to the skateboard helmet though. I can simpathyze with not having enough weapons to go around, my unit is in the same boat. It is sad that the US friekin Army Infantry does not have enough weapons to outfit its men with. I do bring my personal M4 to training also, only drawback is the BFA will not work on my phantom so I have only taken it out on live fire ranges so far.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:29:16 AM EST
For the job we have to do the Protec works fine, at least for me. After seeing a few PASGT's and such waisted by shrap, let alone a 9mm, I would rather go for something that keeps me from bumping my head, offers a good level of protection, weighs next to nothing, and does not take $100 to outfit with a retention system that works. Most of your ballistic head injuries have poor chance of survival, so the low protection rating will at least make my demise a bit quicker . Now, if I could get the Protech that the PJ's run around in, or a MICH, then I would switch over no problem. Of course, as you can see we have an issue with weapons alone, so the above options are out of the question. Hopefully FY '05 will bring us some new/better/dedicated gear.

My brother is an officer in the USMC, heavy weapons, and he was told he would be going without an M-9, there were not enought to go around. Of course, with all the reliability issues they have been having with them, he did not take it as much of a loss.

Less and less things surprise me lately.

Thanks for the compliments all!

BTW, since the supposed GUU had both a shell deflector and FA, I guess it would not technically fit into any of the GAU/GUU categories, no? Of course, the lower had GUU stamped on it and full auto selection, I will see if I can get a close up pick for you guys.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:25:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 8:26:52 AM EST by Stryfe]

Originally Posted By DM1975:
Cool pics man. I still can not get used to the skateboard helmet though.

For the job we have to do the Protec works fine, at least for me. After seeing a few PASGT's and such waisted by shrap, let alone a 9mm, I would rather go for something that keeps me from bumping my head, offers a good level of protection, weighs next to nothing, and does not take $100 to outfit with a retention system that works. Most of your ballistic head injuries have poor chance of survival, so the low protection rating will at least make my demise a bit quicker . Now, if I could get the Protech that the PJ's run around in, or a MICH, then I would switch over no problem. Of course, as you can see we have an issue with weapons alone, so the above options are out of the question. Hopefully FY '05 will bring us some new/better/dedicated gear.

Unless something has changed, the pro-tecs aren't intended to offer ballistic protection, nor are they there to replace the K-Pot. They are used only to protect the head from impact. The advantage is the light weight and better visibility.

BTW, since the supposed GUU had both a shell deflector and FA, I guess it would not technically fit into any of the GAU/GUU categories, no? Of course, the lower had GUU stamped on it and full auto selection, I will see if I can get a close up pick for you guys.

Isn't the GUU the exact same as the M4? Are the GAU-5s with the M4 bbl considered GUUs? When this first came up, on the board, it was mentioned that the reason for the switch was to allow Air Force personnel working with Army units to share M855 ammo instead of having to source M193 for the older bbls.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:35:49 AM EST
You got me on an unfinished thought, "good level of protection from low ceilings"-definitely not ballistically sound, hence the mention of a low protection rating. They are definitely not to be considered a replacement for the K-pot.

I am giving up on classifying the weapon, for I am running into contradictory info here and other places, so I will defend myself by saying, "that is what Security Forces call it so it must be true!"

I forgot which link it is, but it was on this board that all the variants were spelled out piece by piece, and I swear I saw an M-4 with fixed carry handle, which would basically be the weapon shown. Hmmmm. I will leave that one to the pros.

All I know is that it is fun to shoot!

-Redfoot
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:03:47 AM EST
Oh, I wasn't trying to correct you.
You've got the experience, I don't.
I was just curious if anyone in the peanut gallery had any idea if the AF was reclassifying GAU5s as they rebarrel them, or if they were what they were.
I don't think it really matters here, we know how modular an AR is, and know better than to classify it beyond the general, rifle/carbine setups.
But sometimes, for posterity, it matters. I mean why were springfield 1903 rifles "stripped for air service?"
Good luck, and keep your head down.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:29:20 AM EST
No worries, I learn something new on this site everyday.

Of course, the USAF has to be different and rename everything to thoroughly confuse us all.

-Redfoot
Top Top