Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 6:39:37 PM EST
So I just put together my first AR15 and will be taking it to the range for the first time this weekend.
What do I need to know? What do I need to do first time out?

Rock River Arms Upper and Lower, 16" 1:9 barrel. A2 front sight, GG&G rear BUIS, cheapo $30 red dot sight.

I was planning on sighting in the iron sights, following one of the guides I saw on the forums, then sight in the cheapo red dot sight, then spend the rest of the morning firing away.

I think I heard someone mention somewhere about breaking in a barrel? Whats that all about?
Any other recommendations, advice, etc?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:44:19 PM EST
Don't worry about breaking in the barrel. YMMV and it's my .02, but I think barrel break-in is complete rubbish. Clean your weapon and lube to spec, and come back with a range report!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:44:59 PM EST
Buy some ammo. Otherwise, you got a big club.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:49:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By getchevyn:
Buy some ammo. Otherwise, you got a big club.

Haha, yeah, I got that part down.
200rnds of UMC, and about another 100 or so of various versions of .223 and 5.56
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:54:26 PM EST
Sell the cheapo red dot sight and put it in ammo. I made the mistake of buying a cheap red dot once. Nothing but a waste of money.

What part of AZ anyway?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:57:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By Primos:
Sell the cheapo red dot sight and put it in ammo. I made the mistake of buying a cheap red dot once. Nothing but a waste of money.

What part of AZ anyway?

I just figured the cheapo red dot would be fun to screw around with until I have enough saved up for an eotech.
Live in Chandler, will probably be going to Rio Salado range.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:00:52 PM EST
Don't put the barrel of your gun in your mouth.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:03:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 7:03:59 PM EST by survivorman]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Don't put the barrel of your gun in your mouth.

whoa!

ok here is some advice........figure out what ammo will be your go to ammo and sight the rifle in with that. Do not be discouraged that your accuracy will be off between 5.56 ammo and 223........its all different and will all print different. GOOD LUCK

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:10:00 PM EST
blue loctite on the grip & rear buis screw...and keep it wet.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:42:57 PM EST
Clean and lube your carbine before shooting and you're GTG.

If it were me I wouldn't bother sighting in the "cheapo" red dot. Spend time shooting through your iron sights and getting proficient. While not all cheap red dots fail, lots go tits up after not too long.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:47:01 PM EST
Tell Bubba, Buck, Inbred Jed, and the midgets I said hi!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:59:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 8:00:00 PM EST by Brahmzy]
Learn to bump-fire your first time out.

You'll have a hella perma-grin somefin' fierce.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:14:38 PM EST
ha ha ha everybodys gotta bumpfire at least once don't they?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:39:49 PM EST
READ THE MANUAL FIRST. If you dont have one call RRA and they will send you one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:51:10 PM EST
DO NOT hold the magazine when firing. One case failure in the chamber will fuck up your hand big time, but I still see people doing this.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:16:48 PM EST
ear plugs... eye protection.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:59:36 AM EST
As said above, clean the barrel thoroughly. They come pretty dirty from RRA due to test firing. Put lots-o-lube on the bcg, bolt, and cam pin.

You may need an action safe flag. Ask at the range office before going to the line. Some folks get real pissy about ARs that aren't visibly safe during change overs. Be prepared to remove the magazine, lock the bolt open, and insert chamber flag when a "cease fire" is called at the line.

If it were my gun, I'd clean the bore after every break. I, further, would take pains to prevent the gun from getting hot during the first few sessions. YMMV, but that's what I'd do.

Strike up a conversation with anybody who looks like they want to talk. Especially if they're shooting an AR too. It's the best way to learn a whole lot of stuff in a hurry.

Go slow. Take your time. Enjoy yourself. Go back again, soon.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:17:36 AM EST
Clean before you shoot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:22:03 AM EST
Clean your gun, run it wet, and bring more ammo then you think you will need...like 1000 rounds
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:23:10 AM EST
Learn, be safe and have fun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:30:42 AM EST
1. Irons for the win.
2. Lots and lots of ammo
3. Camera. New gun threads are worthless without pics.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:36:29 AM EST
Make sure its clean, oil, and inspected. Then go have some fun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:41:34 AM EST
wear ear muffs, my first time out with mine all i had were plugs and i've had ringing in my ears and hearing loss in my left ear ever since (over a year)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:43:08 AM EST
Get prepared for the disease...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:15:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hero:
Get prepared for the disease...

Ain't that the truth!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:51:09 AM EST
Buy more ammo
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:52:25 AM EST
dont worry about breaking in the barrel.

that 30 dollar site may not live past you 1st 100 rounds though.

be sure to oil that mutha before you start
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:58:22 AM EST
Clean and lube it (bore, action, BCG, etc).

Learn how to load your mags

Learn how to seat a mag

Learn how to pull charging handle and let go.

Learn how to turn safety off

Learn how to pull trigger

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:32:25 AM EST
learn how to bump fire
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:01:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By vxtip545:
wear ear muffs, my first time out with mine all i had were plugs and i've had ringing in my ears and hearing loss in my left ear ever since (over a year)

That sucks, all I ever wear is plugs and my hearing is fine. I'm guessing you didn't put them in correctly.

Clean your gun very well, and I don't mean the outside.
Stay away from the cheapo accessories. From 1st hand experience they're a waste of time and $$
Do not go Loc-tite'ing everything on your gun.
Bring a few tools with you to the range, anything that you used to build the rifle.
Forget barrel break in.
Bring a few mags and plenty of ammo, 300rds should be OK for your first time.
Don't forget targets if the range doesn't supply them.
DO NOT try to bump fire your first time out. Easy way to get kicked out of the range. FW/iW I've never bump fired, guess I'm missing out
Know the range's rules before you go! Ear & eye protection are pretty basic along with firearm handling rules and range's "cold" & "hot" commands.

Have fun!!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:24:06 AM EST
Rule 1
ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
The only exception to this occurs when you have a firearm in your hands and you have personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as you put it down, Rule 1 applies again.

Rule 2
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Rule 3
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

Rule 4
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:47:20 AM EST
The "SPROINGGGG" is normal
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:02:37 AM EST
If you haven't sighted in before, I would recommend hanging up several silhouette sized targets side by side. For your first shot, aim dead at the middle of the target papers. If it doesn't make a hole, aim your next four shots at the far edges of the targets (left, right, top, bottom). Unless your sights are completely off it should get you on paper in five shots and save you a lot of ammo trying to figure out which direction you are off.
Top Top