Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2008 12:46:53 AM EDT
What Complete Tool Kit's For An AR Lower/Upper?

Wondering if there is a complete kit, hopefully inexpensive-I bought a lower, and parts kit, and stock and want the tools for building-but wanted your opinion first
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I built my lower with a DPMS stock wrench, a 1/8 punch, needle nose pliers, box cutter and hammer. Thats all you need for a lower
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
On a related note, a 1/8th punch is something I could find at a hardware store, correct?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It is
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What Complete Tool Kit's For An AR Lower/Upper?

Wondering if there is a complete kit, hopefully inexpensive-I bought a lower, and parts kit, and stock and want the tools for building-but wanted your opinion first

Bushmaster sells two types of Armorers kits.  You can check there.  Most people here, myself included, just piece together what we needed.  I am about to build my first AR, if my lower ever gets here. <taps foot impatiently>  I bought a brass punch set, bushmaster armorer wrench, and a bushmaster action clamp (fits in vise).  These are in addition to a light hammer and vise grips.

Here is a good thread:

http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=346038
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
All you need is a punch and a hammer.  These can even be used for the CAR nut on your stock in a pinch.

I RECOMMEND an AR wrench though.  DPMS makes a great one.

I also like to duct tape the lower anytime I'm getting near it with punches or other tools.  It's cheap insurance against scratching and dinging your lower.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I think there is a market for a quality all in one AR tool kit.  I have pieced together all the tools I need over time but if someone were to make an all in one kit that came in a nice molded case I would definately buy one.  I bet a lot of others would too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Get yourself a multi wrench like the DPMS or Stoner wrench at Midway USA, an action block (I use the DPMS Claw), a nice punch set, maybe a roll pin holder set (all from Brownells) and you are just about set. Midway also sells a front takedown detent pin installer (about $4.00) that I have but have not used yet but I am sure it will save plenty of headaches.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Brownells has all the tools and decent prices. Get roll pin holders, roll pin punchs, a multi tool and you are GTG for the lower.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
All you need is a punch and a hammer.  These can even be used for the CAR nut on your stock in a pinch.

I RECOMMEND an AR wrench though.  DPMS makes a great one.

I also like to duct tape the lower anytime I'm getting near it with punches or other tools.  It's cheap insurance against scratching and dinging your lower.

A few layers of masking tape is a bit cleaner
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#10]
A flashlight: Necessary when those springs and detents go skittering across the floor.....
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't buy a tool for installing pivot pin assembly. Go to the hardware store and buy a clevis pin and search this sight for directions on how to use it. Very inexpensive and very effective for this process. Saves a lot of time and no lost springs or detents.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The roll pin punch has a round end that keeps it from mangling up the pin. It also keeps it from slipping and damaging the surface of your lower. A utility knife worked great for installing the pivot pin, but I like the clevis pin idea.

Glen
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:

Worth saying again, be real careful, esp. when installing the bolt catch, use tape, lube the pins, and TAKE YOUR TIME !
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Butter knife works great too, and not risk of commiting hari-kari!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is the link to the clevis pin thread.
Excellent information
Clevis Pin thread
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Anybody want to by a slightly used pivot pin tool? The clevis thread was sweet...guess I need to build about 10 more lowers to pay for the difference... That's not a problem...is it????
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top