Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2004 7:27:34 AM EDT
Im looking for a cleaning kit to buy for my ar15 (when I eventually get it).  I want to get one that has everything in it that is going to be needed (ex: oils, brushes, etc.).  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, Also when replying, please give URL's/Links to the site with the kit on it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a GI kit I picked up while in the Army, I keep it in my range bag. For at home cleaning I use the Outers .22 kit from WalMart. I'm not too crazy with the Outers brand brushes, they seem to wear out quickley and seem a bit loose. I've since changed over to Kleenbore brushes and I'm happy with them. I can't recommend any one kit but have found out that over the years you end up collecting an assortment of items to aid in cleaning. I use tooth brushes, Q-tips, popsicle sticks, dental picks and even wooden sticks for kabobs! A real help is a stand to set your rifle on while cleaning. I have a cleaning station made by MTM that holds the rifle and all your cleaning equipment, it really comes in handy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are interested in the AR15/M16 cleaning kit from Otis, watch Ebay. There were about 4 or 5 of them on the other day with a buy now price of about $12.00. Midway USA sells the same kit for close to $30. Looks like a good deal to me if you see them on there again.  Terry
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always used a USGI buttstock kit.  Everything you need, nothing you don't.  Well, you'll have to throw in a few patches, and maybe a few q-tips and a pipe-cleaner if you're really OC, but you get my meaning.  

Keep it simple, soldier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]
No question in my mind, get the Otis. In my opinion its the best cleaning kit on the market.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Im going to go with the OTIS.  Seems like everyone likes it and its also readily available.  Thanks for your help everyone.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Dewey also makes a good AR cleaning kit. I carry an Otis for field cleaning but use a combination of Dewey/Sinclair stuff at the house.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#7]
i rate field cleaning kits in this order....otis,otis,otis,otis,and otis would be my top five picks.followed closely by otis.these kits with there flexible cleaning rod if used properly will never damage your barrel there compact all the componets are top notch well i think you already know where i stand.but now at home i use a one piece graphite rod for the hard scrubin if you know what i mean?but i never go  to the range w/out my otis.thanx Bently
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Otis for field cleaning but I still carry a metal  screw togeather rod type.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top