Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2005 5:28:38 PM EDT
I went to a local gun show where I saw a very nice mil spec AR-15 A3 style.
I asked the guy if the gun had ever been fired before and he said no. The gun looked new, but is there a sure way to tell if this gun had ever been fired before?

The reason that I asked this is I disassebled the gun to get to know it better. Everything looked new except the entire bolt assembly (not the bolt carrier..it looks new). Is it suppose to look smooth and black? It kinda looked chingered up some.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Atleast three threads asking about AR's just today alone.

Each thread you offer a little more details than the one prior. Why not tell us everything up front and go from there?

Is $800 too much for a RRA w 1K rounds down the pipe?

The reason that I asked this is I disassebled the gun to get to know it better.

And, How can I tell if I got a Chromed Lined barrel with my new Bushmaster?

Anyone else smell something ? Legit AR Newb, Already own an AR? Or Troll ?

HS1

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you know who manufactured the rifle?  Some companies test fire their rifles before they leave the factory.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
"Is $800 too much for a RRA w 1K rounds down the pipe?" is not my post.

Why are you hostile to me for asking a question? So what that I asked a few questions today...

I am a newbe. I bought my AR at the local gun show at the tucson convention center on 09/17

Look up the gun show on google.com if you dont beleive me.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
BushMaster
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought Bushy test fired their weapons as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
How many rounds do they fire when it is test fired?

there looked like carbon build up on that bolt....but no where else
All else was black and pretty.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"Is $800 too much for a RRA w 1K rounds down the pipe?" is not my post.

Why are you hostile to me for asking a question? So what that I asked a few questions today...

I am a newbe. I bought my AR at the local gun show at the tucson convention center on 09/17

Look up the gun show on google.com if you dont beleive me.

Damn, I'm sorry! It wasn't you! I sincerely apologize! I meant no offense, i'm just High Strung.

Whats your barrel say?

HS1
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It kinda looked chingered up some.

Chingered up!!

Wow, it's been years since I hear that!  And I mean like 20 years!

Welcome, and don't mind the suspicious.  Sometimes you can see a ring around the firing pin on the bolt face.  That can indicate use.  Also look for marks on the brass delfector.  Look down the bore to see if it looks ok.

I guess I missed the part about the carbon build up on the bolt.  I don't think test firing would do that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry  HighStrung1 I dont want to get off on a bad start with you or anyone. I guess I was a little Highstrung to. hehehe.

B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9

Front iron site shows...F01 2
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It kinda looked chingered up some.

Chingered up!! hear
Welcome, and don't mind the suspicious.  Sometimes you can see a ring around the firing pin on the bolt face.  That can indicate use.  Also look for marks on the brass delfector.  Look down the bore to see if it looks ok.

No marks on the deflector or anywhere else....at least from a Newbe's eye, but shows a ring around the firing pin on the bolt face....possibly minimal carbon build up. Could possibly be from test fire at the factory?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
i smell rifles.  thats right, i smell 'em.  if it smells like lead, then it's been fired, it is smells like gun solvent, it's been fired, if it smells like machined metal and is a little dusty/dirty looking, it's prolly new.

But I got a good nose... newbies can't smell as good as me...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, if you already bought it, then just clean it, shoot it and enjoy.

If not, I think I would be a little wary.  I don't think test firing would mark the bolt face.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Well BK, if you've already got the rifle then don't worry. Sounds like it's had use. If you're worried about parts and barrel life, keep in mind that AR15 parts are easily interchangeable and you can always replace these parts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Who cares?  Mine is going to only be, "New" long enough to get it out of the case and slap in a 30 round mag full of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#15]
They are all fired, even brand new.  You wouldn't want to buy a rifle that wasn't test fired at the factory would you?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Collapseable stock?

Bayonet lug on FSB (front sight base)?

Removeable carry handle?

HS1
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Came with what looked exactly like a collapsable stock, but it was a fixed stock.
Has a removable carry handle.
No Bayonet lug.

I borrowed this picture, but it looks exactly like this one. Even the stock looks exactly the same, however my carry handle is removable.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=16578&password=&sort=1&cat=512&page=1

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3763010

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
NO not worth $800 IMO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#20]
why?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Came with what looked exactly like a collapsable stock, but it was a fixed stock.
No Bayonet lug.

I borrowed this picture, but it looks exactly like this one. Even the stock looks exactly the same, however my carry handle is removable.

gallery.photographyreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=16578&password=&sort=1&cat=512&page=1

gallery.photographyreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=16579&password=&sort=1&cat=512&page=

http://gallery.photographyreview.com/showgallery.php?cat=512&password=

http://gallery.photographyreview.com/showgallery.php?cat=512&password=
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#22]
It sounds like a post ban Bushmaster sample.

Fixed M4 style stock, no bayo lug and what about the muzzle device?

I'm guessing Mini Y.

Just shoot it and see if people at the range look at you angrily. If so, it's a mini y comp.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:
No Bayonet lug.

gallery.photographyreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=16578&password=&sort=1&cat=512&page=1

gallery.photographyreview.com/showgallery.php?cat=512&password=

Click on pictures multiple times to fully enlarge. Sorry, I cant get the pictures to show on this site.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#24]
From the new pic, it appears someone slapped a postban Bushmaster upper on a BM lower w/a collapsable stock. Your Lower does have the snake logo on it right?

Your stock does slide in and out right? From your pic, it appears the stock is collapsable.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
why?

you bought a post ban rifle which has neutered "features".  Since the Assualt Weapon Ban sunsetted about a year ago, the guns made during the time of the ban lost their value tremendously since everybody wants their guns to be in the "correct" configuration.

Don't worry too much about it though just shoot the heck out of it and have some fun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
From the new pic, it appears someone slapped a postban Bushmaster upper on a BM lower w/a collapsable stock. Your Lower does have the snake logo on it right?

Your stock does slide in and out right? From your pic, it appears the stock is collapsable.

HS1

The stock was fixed. It does have a snake. What is a upper? How can you tell that it is a postban?
Postban vs. Preban?

By the way....can you see the two blue links to the 2 pictures a couple of messages back? They are actual pictures of the weapon I bought. Just took the pictures. You can enlarge the pictures as large as you want.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

HS1

The stock was fixed. It does have a snake. What is a upper? How can you tell that it is a postban?
Postban vs. Preban?

By the way....can you see the two links to the pictures a couple of replies back? They are actual pictures of the weapon I bought. Just took the pictures. You can enlarge the pictures as large as you want.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

Postban vs. Preban?

By the way....You can enlarge the pictures as large as you want.

Why do you use the word "was"? Did you change the stock after you bought it?

The Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) lasted from Sept. 14th 1994 thru it's expiration on Sept. 14th 2004.
AR15 type rifles made during the ban, could not have more than two of the following features.

1) Collapsable stock
2) Bayonet Lug
3) Flash Hider/suppressor
4) Detachable Magazine
5) Pistol grip.

The 2 features which remained unchanged (because of the rifles design) during the ban were
#'s 4 and 5. Your muzzle device was BATFE approved because it's a muzzle brake, not a FH/FS.
The Mini Y Comp muzzle brake is waaaaay loud!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes. I bought, what looks like the same stock, but it is collapsable (extendable) and then installed the new stock.

Did I get taken? Is that a bad mussle break? Which should I buy next?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Your muzzle device was BATFE approved because it's a muzzle brake, not a FH/FS.
The Mini Y Comp muzzle brake is waaaaay loud! hock.gif

HS1

what is BATFE and FH/FS ?

Remember I am a newbe. hehehehe
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#32]
chingered............what is chingered???????
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Your muzzle device was BATFE approved because it's a muzzle brake, not a FH/FS.
The Mini Y Comp muzzle brake is waaaaay loud!

HS1

what is BATFE and FH/FS ?

Remember I am a newbe. hehehehe

Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives.

Flash Hider

Flash Suppressor

HS1
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I can pic some guy walking around the gunshow opening the action taking a good "cocaine" whiff and stepping back and saying (while trying to hold in the whiff) now thats some good AR!  Phheewww...

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#36]
one last question.......which mussle break or flash suppressor should I buy?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
one last question.......which mussle muzzle break or flash suppressor should I buy?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#38]
From your "Name", I'm "ASSUMING" You live in AZ???  Where in AZ do you live?  IF you're in Phoenix, there are quite a few places to "SHOP" for AR Parts.....Smack Dab in the middle of the UZI Triangle.

Look on the Industry Tab for Ameetec, check out their website, and go from there.  They are located VERY CLOSE to some other folks.....VERY CLOSE.....

I'm sure other folks will chime in also....

IF you're in Tucson.....There are a few stores that are AR Friendly, but not a whole lot parts in town....

Happy Shooting!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I am in Tucson.

I dont know the first thing about flash surpressors or muzzle breakers.
I know that a flash surpressor  surpresses the flash, but I dont know about the breaker.

I dont know which to buy and where online I can check it out.

Need assistance on which I should buy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
chingered............what is chingered???????

Well, 20+ years ago it meant kinda messed up.  You know, chingered.  Must be regional, as I see he is from AZ too.  Maybe the slang term has come back.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Somehow it posted twice?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I am in Tucson.

I dont know the first thing about flash surpressors or muzzle breakers.
I know that a flash surpressor  surpresses the flash, but I dont know about the breaker.

I dont know which to buy and where online I can check it out.

Need assistance on which I should buy.

you have a 14.5" barrel so you need to get a FH that will make the total lenghth 16'' to be legal, it must also be permenantly installed.  You will most likely need to send it off to a Gunsmith since it's not something that is easily done.

I had the exact same muzzle brake and trust me you will want to get rid of it, it is extremely loud.  Most people buy either a Phantom FH or a Vortex.  I would say most buy the Phantom including myself.  It will cost about $85 to have your brake removed and have a Phantom installed.  I used JTAC Supply who is in the Industry forum and he did a great job.

heres a pic of mine with a Phantom 5C1 FH

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Great thread

1. Newbie asks same question 3 ways

2. I hear "Chingered" for the first time since college (25 yrs)

3. I hear "UZI Triangle" to describe the N. AZ area

4. and newbie has a "stuck SUBMIT" button

all in one thread...............

you ought to fit right in.

welcome aboard, BTK BKS !
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Great thread

1. Newbie asks same question 3 ways

2. I hear "Chingered" for the first time since college (25 yrs)

3. I hear "UZI Triangle" to describe the N. AZ area

4. and newbie has a "stuck SUBMIT" button

all in one thread............... ht
welcome aboard, BTK BKS !

Thank you red fisher! Glad to be aboard the best forum on the internet.
As a newbe, I will ask alot of stupid and even redundant questions. Please pardon me while I learn.

Once again...thank you all from Tucson!

By the way...I just put some BREAK FREE CLP on my submit button. That ought to fix it!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top