Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2010 12:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2010 12:03:09 PM EDT by RedWagon]
Went to the range today to try out my new AR and the bolt would not lock to the rear with my P-mags. USGI mags worked great. But the P-mags just kinda crapped out on me.  Should I give the rifle time to break in, or toss the pmags for USGIs?

Also its a RRA lower with a BCM 16'' M4 type upper. Im running a BCM BCG and a Larue super duty Buffer spring.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 12:04:17 PM EDT
Try adjusting your mag release. Little tighter or looser.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 12:04:31 PM EDT
What kind of ammo and what kind of buffer?
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 12:08:52 PM EDT
What size p-mags? I was having trouble with 20rd's.  Take your upper off you gun. Place a empty pmag in the mag well. Does the bolt stop reach the magazine follower?
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 12:30:46 PM EDT
Im running a regular carbine buffer, 30 round P-mags and was shooting hornady 55 grn steel cased "practice" rounds.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 12:30:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2010 12:34:52 PM EDT by dug556]
I had the same problem, mine ended up being the bolt catch. It wasn't cut back enough, it was sticking against the Pmag body not allowing the follower to push up on the bolt catch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 12:52:07 PM EDT
I've got 50 P mags & 150 USGI's. I won't trust the P's completely untill they have been through several wars like the USGI's!
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 1:44:17 PM EDT
Trade your Pmags for USGI mags.
They may not look at tacticool, but they work.
You should be able to find someone who will trade you two for one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:07:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ArmedPete:
Trade your Pmags for USGI mags.
They may not look at tacticool, but they work.
You should be able to find someone who will trade you two for one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I agree. Although I have had nothing but good reliable Pmags I only own USGI's now. They are reliable and will fit any lower I may buy in the future.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:12:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2010 3:14:22 PM EDT by cvtrpr]
Hey, you can send them to me!!    I was gonna send you some PMags for some white lightning.  Guess you dont want the PMags.  I got six spankin-new colt's if you want them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:14:29 PM EDT
I have a ton of USGI mags, brand new that I would love to trade for non-windowed PMAGS.

Run whatever works in your gun.  If PMAGS don't work in your gun, don't run them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:37:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cvtrpr:
Hey, you can send them to me!!    I was gonna send you some PMags for some white lightning.  Guess you dont want the PMags.  I got six spankin-new colt's if you want them.

Hey now, im still workin on the liquor...Mays has been on to me also to get him some.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:53:56 PM EDT
You could always call Magpul and ask them for help if you can't get ti worked out.  I'm sure they know any quirks that may come up with their mags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:56:04 PM EDT
whatever happened to that guy that bought cases of p mags when they were impossible to get, wonder if he is selling them for less or still hoarding them
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:27:02 PM EDT
I had the same problem but only when running a LMT 14.5. The same lower the LMT was on worked just fine with other uppers, so I don't think it was a bolt catch issue & the same Pmags worked just fine except with the LMT. Strange.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:59:07 PM EDT
Only time I've ever had a problem with P-mags is if I'm pressing hard on the bottom of the mag on that last shot (like on a non-ideal benchrest/prone position), the bolt won't lock back.  Several friends with similar setups report the same thing.  Off-hand or no weight on the mag, no issues.
Not sure if that was your situation...
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:11:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ABM41:
Only time I've ever had a problem with P-mags is if I'm pressing hard on the bottom of the mag on that last shot (like on a non-ideal benchrest/prone position), the bolt won't lock back.  Several friends with similar setups report the same thing.  Off-hand or no weight on the mag, no issues.
Not sure if that was your situation...

it was off hand shooting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:14:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By warpig8654:
I had the same problem but only when running a LMT 14.5. The same lower the LMT was on worked just fine with other uppers, so I don't think it was a bolt catch issue & the same Pmags worked just fine except with the LMT. Strange.

Funny you mention this, I tried my 18" upper and the mags worked fine....So the mags work with my SPR upper, but not with an M4 type upper..Or I should say with a rifle length gas system over a carbine length gas system.  Now if it were under gassed (M4 type) then it wouldnt lock back on any mags. but the SPR upper worked flawlessly with both type mags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2010 5:20:16 PM EDT by Devildog1970]
Originally Posted By SignManIam:
I've got 50 P mags & 150 USGI's. I won't trust the P's completely untill they have been through several wars like the USGI's!

Are you sure that's enough? You should probably pick up a few more hundred!

I have a similar ratio of Pmags to GI, although not nearly that many (probably about 15/40). I like the Pmags and haven't had any major troubles, but I'm not getting rid of my GIs. Ever. They have a proven track record over many years, and the Pmags are still relatively new. The minor trouble that I had with Pmags, was that in one of my lowers with early Pmags, it takes more than the normal amount of force to seat the mag into the mag catch (empty or full). But it still locks back on the last shot. GI mags and later revision Pmags seat with a normal amount of force.  FWIW, it's an Armalite lower.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:22:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dan46n2:
You could always call Magpul and ask them for help if you can't get ti worked out.  I'm sure they know any quirks that may come up with their mags.

All they will say is their mags are built to spec, it must be the rifle.  That explains why my 2 Spikes lowers will drop the original P-Mags but not the M-Rev
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:51:36 PM EDT
The Lancers have worked well for me as far as polymer AR mags go. I also have a supply of new G.I. mags as well as some C-Products black stainless steel which also work fine. It's a little hard to analyze what's happening in the AR because of visibility, but you can at least first open the action, put the mag in and see if it engages the bolt stop like the others also said. Close it up and yank the charging handle back and let it fly to see if the bolt stop does what it's supposed to with the suspect mag and others that are known to work. Release the bolt after it stops to check that function. Dummy rounds are great for troubleshooting and every AR owner should have a few. Otherwise you have to use live rounds. If you don't have a safe place to load live rounds, it's best not to. But, you could use a dummy to load and then yank the charginging handle again to see if the follower engages the stop. It could be the bolt stop as some have suggested, but since it works with the G.I.s it's probably the mag. Sometimes you have to trim the mag where it interferes with the stop. Other times you may have to deburr the follower or inside of the mag because the follower isn't rising quite far enough to hit the stop. This happens all the time with pistols - some mags work and some need tweaking. Sometimes the slide stop is too big and the bullet nose engages it. It's just another gun thing. You can fix it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2010 5:53:50 PM EDT by RedWagon]
Originally Posted By Milewsky80:
Originally Posted By Dan46n2:

All they will say is their mags are built to spec, it must be the rifle.  That explains why my 2 Spikes lowers will drop the original P-Mags but not the M-Rev

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:38:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/2/2010 11:15:55 AM EDT by Justin-Beard]
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 8:03:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SignManIam:

They have, and have also been found superior to USGI mags.

Does Dr. Drake dream of polymer sheep?

I don't know about him, but in my mag pouches...there are pmags. USGI, thou hast been found wanting.

Link Posted: 5/30/2010 5:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2010 5:30:41 AM EDT by cvtrpr]
Back to the mag issue.....you know PMags don't feed skittles...
Hook up Mays first.  It is Sgt. Mays now.  Good thing you were practicing.  If I remember, you need it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 6:47:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2010 7:23:35 AM EDT by RedWagon]
Originally Posted By cvtrpr:
Back to the mag issue.....you know PMags don't feed skittles...
Hook up Mays first.  It is Sgt. Mays now.  Good thing you were practicing.  If I remember, you need it.

Hey!! I shoot fine here in the mountains. And I will hook Sgt Mays up first..and damn a bunch of skittles!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 7:17:19 PM EDT
I had a 30rd pmag that wouldn't lock the bolt back on my brand new spikes upper. (20's and usgi worked fine) I took the upper off and inserted mag, everything looked ok, bolt catch engaged like it should, but was a little gritty, so i  oiled the crap out of the whole area and it appears to be working fine now.

I also took the mag apart and couldn't find any mold flashing or anything. I don't know it that helped or not.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:01:11 PM EDT
+10% springs fixed mine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:14:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:00:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Maybe I missed it, but have you tried contacting Magpul?

yes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:40:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:36:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RedWagon:
Maybe I missed it, but have you tried contacting Magpul?

yes.

And?

Nothing as of yet....sorry. have tried email and their forum here.
Top Top