Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/21/2004 4:14:14 PM EST
Tried to remove the A2 flash hider from a JT Distributing kit. No joy. Torque did not work- bent the tines of the hider. Heat did not work- annealed the mangled hider. Dremel did not help- cut into the *outer* edge (NOT the crown area) of the threaded section of barrel. And that thing is still laughing at me. So, I lost, how much is it going to cost me to have a *professional* do this right and take the evil little bastard off? Is it possible for them to dress of the threads, or is it going to be a permenant reminder that sometimes saving money by doing it yourself is more expensive? Any good smiths that I can send the upper off to? Thanks guys, and to all those that witnessed with bemusement as the saga unfolded, you told me so.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:35:19 PM EST
Why would you take a flashhider off? Do you live in the occupied territories?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:38:57 PM EST
14.5" barrel with a blind pinned flash supressor?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:39:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 4:41:07 PM EST by D-R]
Wanted to put a Vortex on. This was JT's EM-4 upper, 16" barrel with chrome. Figured that the A2 would come off with enough application of strength. I was wrong. Should have applied more brain, less muscle. The thing that concerns me the most is the small cut in the end of the barrel. Will this adversely affect the new flash hider timing? Has anyone done anything as dumbass as I did? Thanks.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:46:29 PM EST
Shouldn't. Might need to chase the threads. Timing is done with a peal or crush washer.

For future reference you can use a drop of blue loc-tite and put the next one on just a tad tighter than what you could do it by hand.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:47:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 4:48:14 PM EST by mongo001]
I bought a barrel from someone who did that. It had a Wilson Combat brake that was setscrewed with a weld over the setscrew. The 'tards just cranked the brake around, welded setscrew and all, nearly ripping the threads off the muzzle. Luckily, I was able to save the threads with some slow, careful work with a die and salvage an otherwise very nice barrel. Maybe for some unknown reason, this FH was pinned or silver soldered and made "permanent". Or maybe it got overtorqued and the threads galled and essentially welded themselves together. Hard to say without putting my eyes on it. Obviously on a 16" barrel, the FH should have come right off.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:01:23 PM EST
Well, this is actually one of two, and the other is the same way. So we know that it is something done to the barrel/FH by JT, not some random artefact. Is there anyone that can remedy this? Don't relish the thought of buying new barrels.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:34:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 5:34:48 PM EST by mongo001]

Originally Posted By D-R:
Well, this is actually one of two, and the other is the same way. So we know that it is something done to the barrel/FH by JT, not some random artefact. Is there anyone that can remedy this? Don't relish the thought of buying new barrels.

D-R

Short of taking a Dremel to the FH's to see if there are pins in them anywhere, I'd rig some type of cooling mechanism to cool your bore, say compressed air blowing continuously through your barrel. With that set up, I'd heat up the FHs with either a MAPP torch or Acetylene and see if you can get them to move that way. If they are silver soldered, for some uknown reason, they will let loose with some heat. If neither of those do the trick, I'm out of options, short of cutting the barrel down and permanently installing Phantoms/Vortexs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:33:10 PM EST
I've built two ARs but never changed out a muzzle device. Just for curiosity, are they threaded with a right hand thread? Just in case thy are left hand thread and you spent all your time trying to tighten it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:05:10 PM EST
Tried the heating method. Did not budge. I have emailed JT to see what they will say, but no dice so far, and if the past is any indicator, they probably won't answer for a long time. In the meantime, I was thinking that perhaps Adco would be able to fix these up. Thoughts?

D-R
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:23:15 PM EST
Are you sure it was a FS, and not MB?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:28:53 PM EST
Stick,

I am positive. I specifically ordered the pre-ban upper from JT. It is a 16" barrel with flash hider. MB usually have a small exit aperture, this puppyis the standard A2 birdcage, slopes down toward muzzle end, cutouts along the top edge. This is not sounding hopeful. Am I better off just getting these things rebarreled? Anybody interested in two unfired chrome barrels, one with a mangled FH?

D-R
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:00:58 PM EST
So any recommendations for gunsmiths? Thanks.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:07:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:29:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dorsai:
Just for curiosity, are they threaded with a right hand thread?

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:36:19 PM EST
Thanks. KKF looks like they can do it for way less than I thought.

D-R
Top Top