Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 8/19/2012 6:13:08 AM EDT
So last night after several beers, I became rather brave. I painted a very nice rifle, and also decided I would put my vortex viper pst to my ADM Recon-X mount. Welll, due to my inebriation, I wasn't paying close attention to what I was doing and in the process of setting my scope to my mount, I stripped out two screw holes on the rear side of the mount. I about puked. Has anybody had this happen? I was cranking down on the top two screws on the rear ring hen it launched both of the bottom screws due to the pressure. What to do?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:24:02 AM EDT
ADM rings are replaceable.  Buy a new set and swap them out.  Also, buy a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:34:40 AM EDT
Also, would it be possible to find zero with just the front rings in tact until the new rear set arrives? Or will it affect the zero when I add new rear rings?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:45:04 AM EDT
Borka.

Get one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:49:19 AM EDT
Quoted:
Also, would it be possible to find zero with just the front rings in tact until the new rear set arrives? Or will it affect the zero when I add new rear rings?

No.  Yes.  Be patient, do it right this time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:50:07 AM EDT
Quoted:
Borka.

Get one.

Borka?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:12:14 AM EDT
Quoted:
No.  Yes.  Be patient, do it right this time.

Try staying sober, that will help quite a bit.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:14:23 AM EDT
Live and you learn man........sounds like you have nice optic setup though!
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:49:26 AM EDT
Gunsmithing and inebriation are not a good mix. Be patient, get a new set of rings, and learn from your mistake.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:32:24 AM EDT
Quoted:
So last night after several beers, I became rather brave. I painted a very nice rifle, and also decided I would put my vortex viper pst to my ADM Recon-X mount. Welll, due to my inebriation, I wasn't paying close attention to what I was doing and in the process of setting my scope to my mount, I stripped out two screw holes on the rear side of the mount. I about puked. Has anybody had this happen? I was cranking down on the top two screws on the rear ring hen it launched both of the bottom screws due to the pressure. What to do?

I can only imagine the the ft/lbs you had on it to accomplish this.  Get a new set of rings and a torque wrench.
And as others have said no beer this time.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:53:57 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Borka.

Get one.

Borka?

Borka
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:58:09 PM EDT
Heli-coil or threadserts are used to repair stripped female threads.

Thread Repair

Lay off the hooch while you're doing the repair.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:09:43 PM EDT

Handling firearms while drinking alcohol.

Not very smart and against the law in some places.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:41:09 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Borka.

Get one.

Borka?

Borka

Cute idea, very overpriced!

www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-2696.html

Shoot Craftsman has one for about $70 I think, it's more versatile too.

ETA- Not sure what you were drinking to be able to pull that off, but I only drink beer while reloading or working on firearms. Generally I take a few sips on the job. When I'm done with my project I realize I have a room temperature beer that's still almost full. If you are devoting time to drinking, then drink. If you are devoting time to things involving weapons, then they come first.

Take that seriously, I'm half Irish and half alcoholic!
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 11:35:12 PM EDT
People say beer make you dumb.  It are go good with pizza.  And fiddling with (unloaded) guns.

Dude, that sounds like something I would do.  I want to see pictures of the "very nice rifle" you painted.  

Top Top