Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2003 3:22:21 PM EDT
I bought a 1000 rounds of Guatamalan surplus 5.56.

Well,  I was at an indoor range yesterday and about every 5th round,  there would be a huge fireball that came out of the barrel and out of the ejection port.

The normal muzzle flash of this ammo is actually fairly low.  But it sure is a surprise when that fireball comes out of the ejection port.

What do you guys think,  anything to worry about?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know what is causing it, but I would be worried, real worried, scared actually.  Any time ammo doesn't behave consistantly something is wrong.  Other than the small amount of gas bled off to operate the bolt carrier, that end of the weapon should be a sealed system until combustion ends and internal pressure drops off, hence a large flash out of the ejection port could be a very bad sign.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't shoot it until someone who knows what he is about had looked it over.

Incandescent gas has no business coming out of the ejection port. The next one may take your face with it!

Him
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#3]
It's safe.
I've put maybe 6000- rds. of Guat through one of my ARs. It's very reliable ammo,however dirty and not that accurate and the cases can be great or badly corroded.

Yes expect the occasional fireball/hot gas coming out the ejection port/muzzle and after shooting the stuff long enough expect occasional hot bits of burning powder to deflect off your cheek.(split second) Those are just the typical charactoristics of Guat 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok,  so I guess there is no general consensus on this.  Some say I should worry about an explosion and someone that has used it says that is normal?

Ah shit,  I guess I'll just shoot the last 600 rounds and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok,  so I guess there is no general consensus on this.  Some say I should worry about an explosion and someone that has used it says that is normal?

Ah shit,  I guess I'll just shoot the last 600 rounds and hope for the best.
View Quote

Faghetaboutit!
It's perfectly fine and others on the board have used it and experienced the same thing.

I used to swear by it for cheap blasting ammo(1200 rd. crate for $160). It's getting rarer to find otherwise I'd still pick up some of those Cartuchos Reales.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Flash out the ejection port?  Wanna guess why this ammo was surplused?  This is [i]never[/i] normal or acceptable.

But...  Not knowing your rifle, though, it could be the rifle.  Bad timing (cheap, non spec barrel or other parts) can allow the bolt to open too soon so it may not be the ammo's fault.

Flash supressor on the muzzle should cure the other issue.

-- Chuck
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top