Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2013 3:00:59 AM EDT
Lets say I was looking at a 16 inch barrel. What is the weight difference between a .625 "light" barrel and a .75 standard barrel? Is there a weight chart somewhere?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Lets say I was looking at a 16 inch barrel. What is the weight difference between a .625 "light" barrel and a .75 standard barrel? Is there a weight chart somewhere?

Thanks.
View Quote

Good question, Chet.  Its important to pay attention to the weight of the barrel before you buy it.  There is no standard profile, every maker has its own designs.  Some advertise their weights, others seem to ignore it.  My son recently built a 5.56 AR with a lightweight 16" barrel from AR Performance.  His barrel weighs 1 lbs 9 oz.  which makes the rifle very handy, total weight is 6 lbs 6 oz.  Some of the more common medium weight 16-inch barrels are 5 or 6 oz over 2 lbs.  FWIW, here are some profile and weight comparisons from ARP.  - CW

http://ar15performance.com/barrels
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at a seller site and they did not list the weight. Kind of frustrating when you are planning out your build...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with this one

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-car%2016lw%20%20std.htm

not sure of the weight however, my retro build is 6lbs 1oz
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
That's the one I was looking at but Bravo doesn't list the weight!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#5]
it's light, very light and I've been hitting a 6 inch steel plates at 200 yards with open sights with that barrel

I'm sure it's on their industry forum but all I can say is I've been very happy with that barrel during my limited outings with it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good question, Chet.  Its important to pay attention to the weight of the barrel before you buy it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Good question, Chet.  Its important to pay attention to the weight of the barrel before you buy it.

Really, why is that important ?  What is this obsession with having light weight barrels ? This obesession you guys have with light weight is nothing more than another trend like ambi controls. You do realize that the U.S. military went to a heavier barrel with the M4A1 for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Really, why is that important ?  What is this obsession with having light weight barrels ? This obesession you guys have with light weight is nothing more than another trend like ambi controls. You do realize that the U.S. military went to a heavier barrel with the M4A1 for a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I built a retro, hence my obsession with that particular type of barrel for this build.  I do agree however that the shooting community's obsession with weight is borderline absurd
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
in addition to the actual weight, you need to look at balance...if you expect the wife or responsible kids to use the rifle, offhand, it is a consideration...

re: ambi safety.... shoot the Highsmith Rifle Drill (Viking Tactics) a couple of times, and you will appreciate the ambi safety
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:...snip...Really, why is that important?  What is this obsession with having light weight barrels ? This obesession you guys have with light weight is nothing more than another trend like ambi controls. You do realize that the U.S. military went to a heavier barrel with the M4A1 for a reason.
View Quote

Many AR shooters want a light, handy carbine.  With a 16" barrel, the difference in balance and subjective feel between a light profile that weighs 1.5 lbs, and a heavier profile that weighs 1 lb more is dramatic.  At least that's been my perception after building several rifles with a range of barrel weights.  A 32 oz 16-incher is a good compromise, if you are worried about sacrificing some accuracy or want more steel to soak up heat from rapid fire as in military applications.  - CW

PS:  some ambi controls are important to left handed shooters.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Obsession is a little extreme. I was looking for the difference and it wasn't listed so I asked a question. Why does someone have to chime in with an absurd M4Carbine remark about the community? Just looking for a straight answer not a philosophical debate on the pros and cons of a light weight barrel...

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#12]
THANKS!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

They have those thumb activated happy switches and all the m855 they want.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sustained full auto fire?  Yeah, not ever going to be in a position to need that.

What is this obsession with dismissing lightweight barrels as somehow deficient?  As for trend following, you do realize that lightweight barrel AR's came first.

If I have to carry/use something I want it to be as lightweight as possible while still able to get the job done.  Which lightweight barrels do just fine for me.  Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain as they say.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I would say between 3-5 ounces. It's more about where the weight is at versus just the raw weight difference. Think about what stuff you may hang off your rifle and where this would be positioned.

For what it's worth, I have a DDM4 V7 light weight. When comparing it to the standard weight, I preferred the balance of the lightweight barrel.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Light weight barrels were on the ORIGINAL M16 and AR15 variants. This is not a trend. If you look at the barrel profiles of the newer designed rifles, they are lightweight profile (SCAR, etc.), as well as having AMBI controls. The military wanted a thicker barrel for passing sustained auto fire tests.

Thanks for your opinions and condescension in this thread, but you were fairly unfounded in every statement you made.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Ambi bolt release is awesome.  

With that said,  I also built a super light blackout build a while back.  Trimming the barrel was the most important thing,  so that I could keep the entire gun (loaded, with optics and a suppressor) under 7.5#.  I have and will continue to carry it for extended periods of time.  It's officially my deer gun,  and personally I don't like to hike around for a day with 60 pounds of firearm.  

Who cares if people want light weight stuff?  If you want to have a custom tungsten lower receiver built just for you,  have at it...  But when my gun doesn't sit on a bench rest all day,  I'd prefer something that isn't insanely heavy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Light weight barrels were on the ORIGINAL M16 and AR15 variants. This is not a trend. If you look at the barrel profiles of the newer designed rifles, they are lightweight profile (SCAR, etc.), as well as having AMBI controls. The military wanted a thicker barrel for passing sustained auto fire tests.  

Thanks for your opinions and condescension in this thread, but you were fairly unfounded in every statement you made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I'm well aware of the original M-16/AR-15 specs and I'm also well aware of why our military went to a heavier barrel but you still haven't answered the question. You're telling someone that it's IMPORTANT to pay attention to barrel weight when in reality it's more IMPORTANT to buy a quality, in spec barrel.  I may be new to this site but I've onwed, operated and assembled ARs since the early 1980's. The whole lightweight AR thing is a trend just like ambi controls, newer rifles like the scar has nothing to do with our beloved AR. Every other thread is someone crying about their AR is to heavy or lightweight this, lightweight that. If your AR is too heavy maybe you should exercise more. Oh and I wasn't being condescending, I love how you read things into my words that just isn't there, let me guess. you consider yourself a psychic ? What number am I thinking of ?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm well aware of the original M-16/AR-15 specs and I'm also well aware of why our military went to a heavier barrel but you still haven't answered the question. You're telling someone that it's IMPORTANT to pay attention to barrel weight when in reality it's more IMPORTANT to buy a quality, in spec barrel.  I may be new to this site but I've onwed, operated and assembled ARs since the early 1980's. The whole lightweight AR thing is a trend just like ambi controls, newer rifles like the scar has nothing to do with our beloved AR. Every other thread is someone crying about their AR is to heavy or lightweight this, lightweight that. If your AR is too heavy maybe you should exercise more. Oh and I wasn't being condescending, I love how you read things into my words that just isn't there, let me guess. you consider yourself a psychic ? What number am I thinking of ?
View Quote

Do you even lift bro?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#20]
You are being condescending to people who are left handed first off. Second, you come into a thread and state that what I'm asking about is some frivolous trend. I didn't even state I had made up my mind on what barrel I might buy. Maybe you should EXERCISE more judgement in your comments to people. Are you a psychic? Maybe I have a handicap, maybe I have a muscle disease, maybe I just want to see the difference in weight when it comes to two different barrels...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer a lightweight barrel... Why carry around a heavy rifle when I don't have too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

RMS556: The number you are thinking of is 69.

You are right, my 55 pound 8 year old daughter that wants to learn to shoot and hunt should just "exercise more" so she can carry a 9 pound rifle and a 70 pound rucksack full of gear like in the military!

The tone of your comments, whether intended or not was very, very condescending.  You added nothing of constructive value (like stating the reasoning for the M4A1's barrel profile) to the thread and insulted anyone who builds lightweight or ambi AR's by basically calling them obsessed trend followers and insinuated that the military standards are the only basis of judgment for a firearm.  

Everyone else: While on the subject of lightweights, I will add that putting a thin thread protector on the end of the barrel helps the perceived weight considerably compared to flash hiders/muzzle brakes.  We usually use lightweight gas blocks, but the muzzle device is even more important from a leverage standpoint.  

The leverage of those extra few ounces at the end of the barrel really does change the balance on lightweight builds in my experience.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the replies. Helped me a lot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top