Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 7:10:28 AM EDT
Justin my step son and I, along with a few other friends, went shooting last weekend and had a great time. We brought some steel spinners for the .22 pistol and rifle, and some clays for the AR. I'm very proud of his progression from a Red Reyder BB gun just a few short years ago to growing in responsibility enough to shoot my .22 pistol, and my AR without help. He has good trigger finger discipline and muzzle awareness, and can recite the basic safety rules upon request. I snapped a few pics. You can see the clays scattered on the burm. Justin was bustin' em at about 50 yards with ease. Nice shooting son!

"Proud Papa" Brian

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Great pics
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like fun, You're a good dad.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice shots.

It reminded me when I first shot my father's .22 LR Springfield Army training rifle when I was 5 y/o.

Now I do the same thing with my two boys (9 y/o & 6 y/o), they both have their own assault rifle style .22 LR rifles.

Most of the time, my father, my sons and myself shoots together.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Good to see stuff like that.  My boy (4) and daughter (3) are already wanting to shoot.  I've got a Red Ryder for the boy, and he and I have shot it together, although he's still a little young to handle it by himself.  They both want M4s, and I'm going to start putting some together for them here soon.  That way I can justify two more EBRs to Household 6.
Some of the best memories I have are growing up in SoTex and shooting with my family, then showing that I knew enough to go out on my own and hunt.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]
My daughter will be born in Sept.  I hope she takes an interest.  So she can show all the guys how to do it!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Brian.....you ever been round Michael Brunk's Tankers' Forum?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice, that's a sweet looking AR. Glad you guys had fun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#9]
My 13 year old son has become my best shooting buddy. I recently built him a dedicated .22 for his b-day and he has a blast shooting it........now to get him as interested in cleaning it!!!!

Thanks for sharing the pics, always nice to see more father/son range time!

Here's my boy with his .22 AR:

Father and Son:

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like you guys had a great time!

BRD is infectious!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My daughter will be born in Sept.  I hope she takes an interest.  So she can show all the guys how to do it!!!

Lucki:
I haven't pressured my kids into shooting or anything like that.  But just by being around me they have picked up on it.  They see the safe and know what's in it.  They see me take my rifle and pistol to work and put them up when I get home.  They are usually around when I clean them or do work on them, and like to tag along just like everything else.  For them it's just another part of life, and they want to be a part of that.  Kids are curious, and in my experience it's better let them see that shooting is normal, and not some kind of thing to be hidden.  My wife's family has never owned a firearm of any type, and are pretty stupid and emotional about them.  Took some getting used to for them.
When my wife and I found out we were going to ahve a girl I told her that my daughter will know how to shoot, cook, and understand football.  That way she can choose her husband.
Edited for spllng
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#12]
on that first set of pics.......... which ACOG is that? I want that one sooooooo bad!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a TA31....TA11 is...bigger. On a Trijicon rail grabber base.
I wish I had one as a kid...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#14]
great stuff !!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Great pics.  Good to see the kids out shooting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks all. Yes, the glass is a TA31 on a TA51 mount. It took ol' Dad a long time to acquire one of those, but it was well worth it. Almost cheating with the BDC. Justin loves shooting it. You're right, I'm very blessed to have my AR and the Triji, but I'll tell ya, it's the shoots with Justin and his smile that are priceless.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Luckiduc13,

My wife and I are expecting in three weeks on Sept 2nd! I hope someday my daughter enjoys the shooting sports. I'm willing to train her if she ever becomes motivated to learn.

Best of luck and prayers for a safe delivery!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#18]
nothing better than some quality father son time!!!!

is that private land? must be nice eh, recently sold the my piece of land but it didnt matter since it was a good 2hr drive.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

is that private land?

Yes, it's owned by a farmer in N. Texas in a small town called Tom Bean. It's about 45min from our house, but it's worth the drive. You can shoot anything you want (steel, clays, cans, paper, old satellite dishes, brake rotors) as long as you clean up, and keep everything on the berm. Oh, bump-fire and tannerite approved as well. $5 per person on the "honesty system". There's no better place I know to shoot other than EricTheHun's farm in Quannah, TX about 4.5 hours west. Hundreds of acres there and the TX Hometown Group usually includes some long range shooters who put up steel at 275, 325 and 540 yards for ya if you're willing to make the drive and camp out. Check out the TX Forum for pics of the last event in April. I love that place!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is that private land?

Yes, it's owned by a farmer in N. Texas in a small town called Tom Bean. It's about 45min from our house, but it's worth the drive. You can shoot anything you want (steel, clays, cans, paper, old satellite dishes, brake rotors) as long as you clean up, and keep everything on the berm. Oh, bump-fire and tannerite approved as well. $5 per person on the "honesty system". There's no better place I know to shoot other than EricTheHun's farm in Quannah, TX about 4.5 hours west. Hundreds of acres there and the TX Hometown Group usually includes some long range shooters who put up steel at 275, 325 and 540 yards for ya if you're willing to make the drive and camp out. Check out the TX Forum for pics of the last event in April. I love that place!

cool

the only problem with all the shoots and get togethers is that they usually fall on a work schedule or too far.

thanks for the info though
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top