Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 12:47:32 PM EDT
Hi, I just bought a bunch of used 30rnd USGI mag pouches off ebay, and they smell a little.
Can I just throw them into the washer?

Also Alot of them have the deviders cut. Whats the reasoning behind this?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can, they should be able to take it.  
As far as the deviders, that's personal like, dislike.

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! Do you know if it is ok to throw them into the dryer as well?
Also they are a little ripped up, will this be a problem when washing?
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, in the Army they told us to go off post and use the heavy duty industrial washing machines available at laundromats off post.  The heavy duty washing machines were bought by the laundromats for just that purpose.  Washing that type of gear is hard on the machines, but in limited quanities it shouldn't hurt anyhting. Also in the washing instructions, they told us to wash all the gear in the off post machines inside an army issue laundry bag.  I'm assuming its less hard on the gear if you do it that way.  Because we got our gear pretty dirty, we would usually scrub everything with a medium to stiff nylon brush with concentrated detergent and a little water.  I hope this helps.  As for the dividers, they help to keep the magazines from ratteling together, but they also make it a real pain to get the mags in and out. Some tape wrapped around the bottom of the mags should guiet them down if the pouch doens't have them. Just put the mags in top down.  That way any rounds that pop out will stay with you instead of falling out.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Use a scrub brush, Simple Green, and a water hose. Soak'em first in a bucket that should help the smell. Don't put'em in the dryer. I and many others cut the dividers out so the pouch can be used for other types of storage. In the military you end up wearing your LCE/LBE for details and other stuff so you need somewhere to keep your smokes, GPS, cell phone, radio for those long road marches you get the idea.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
We always took our TA-50 down to the local laudromat and put it in an industrial washer.  Sometimes we'd use the dryer...sometimes not.  Of course, we had a spare set of new stuff used exclusively for inspections so the condition of our field gear wasn't so much of an issue as long as it was serviceable.  As mentioned above, the dividers were cut so that you could get other stuff in your pouches i.e. pogie bait, walkmans, etc.  You can either throw them in the washer with some other stuff or use the brush method.  Either will work just fine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright, Just to give you guys a little update on this topic, I just finished washing and drying all my mag pouches.

I put them along with a very small of clothes, and ran a cold, Delicates cycle, with liquid detergent.
Then I put them out in front of a box-fan to air dry. After watching two southpark episodes, they're nice, and clean. Some of the spots where tears were have expanded a tiny bit, or it may have been just my imagination.
Anyway, Thanks to everyone for their advice!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top