Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2005 5:55:01 PM EDT
I've done as much research as I can stand, so now I'd like a little feedback on which rings for my RRA varmint upper?  I have (mostly) narrowed it down to these two sets of rings:  Warne Maximum High and RRA High Riser w/ rings:

Warne Maximum (high)
Comments on Warne rings

Rock River High Riser Scope Mount
(Haven't seen any comments on this riser/rings)

I would like to pick a less expensive, decent set of rings.  More than anything, I'm concerned that the rings might eat the sh$& out of my Weaver rail bases, as discussed here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=216249

Any and all input is appreciated!

Thanks,

Travis
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been using a set of Warne high rings on top of a GG&G riser and they work well.  I've also got a few rifles using the RRA 1 piece scope mount so I can compare them.

The RRA mount is cheaper and much more solid, but is slower to remove and often requires a screwdriver or coin to remove.  The Warne rings can always be removed without tools.  The Warne rings also may allow the scope to mounted a little further forward which is good because many scopes have a little too much eye relief on a flat-top AR.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Warne QR rings on all of my rifles.  Never have had a problem with any of them.  They are very easy to install and they return to zero everytime.  They are better than the Leuopold Mark IV's that I tried on one of my rifles.  They have an ultra high model that is made for the AR flat top.  They also have a newer Tactical series which I haven't tried yet, but they look interesting.

I don't think you will be dissappointed in the Warnes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the RRA Hi-Rise scope mount. It's very good IMHO.

It's quick detach in the same way as a detachable carry handle. It is made entirely of aluminum (machined from 1 stock) with steel nuts, steel studs, and a steel clamp.

The high-rise rings are part of the mount so its ultra stable and won't lose zero.

It's not a Larue, LMT, or any other high priced Special Forces quick-detach setup, but the eye relief (3" for my scope) suits this mount just fine on my 24" AR-15.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I also have the  RRA Hi-Rise scope mount.  No problems with it.  I have one on my M4gery type rifle with a Burris scope.  I've shot coyotes out to 300 yrds with it .    It's probably one of the best values out there.  Sure it doesn't have all the fancy throw levers and stuff  but if your rifle is going to be a primary scoped rifle it's the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#5]
warne rings are awesome, i only use them now, mine are steel, and quick release, never lose zero
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info, everyone...I really appreciate it.  Sorry for my lack of response...I've been swamped since yesterday.

Anyhow...on the Warne rings:  Do you recommend the ultra-high, or would the high model suffice?  The rifle I'll be mounting this to is a RRA flattop varmint with a 16" barrel (and currently no riser).  The ultra-highs from Natchezz run almost $70, which seems excessive, considering that the high rings from Cabela's only run $26.

I called a couple local gun shops, and it sounds like I might be able to get the Leupold QR mount for approx $50.  The price seems low to me, but it's a reputable shop...maybe I just don't know Leupold prices yet.

Another consideration is that I'll probably get a red-dot of some sort just to play with.  Will I need to buy a riser for the red-dot?  If so, should I just buy a riser and then buy a set of low rings for the scope?

Ahhh!  I just wanna shoot the rifle!  Somebody tell me what to do about the rings!Travis
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm using Warne high rings on a riser and it mounts the scope at the correct height.  You'll need extra high or ultra high or whatever they call them if you mount directly to the receiver.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]

I called a couple local gun shops, and it sounds like I might be able to get the Leupold QR mount for approx $50.  The price seems low to me, but it's a reputable shop...maybe I just don't know Leupold prices yet.

Travis

The Leupold QR rings will scratch your scope tube pretty easily if you plan to use the rings on other optics.  Also, the construction and finish is not as good as the Warne.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm using Warne high rings on a riser and it mounts the scope at the correct height.  You'll need extra high or ultra high or whatever they call them if you mount directly to the receiver.  

Hoplophile has it right.

Due to the high comb of the AR-15 stock, you need rings that are much taller than those used on conventional rifles that have some drop to the stock comb.  For most people this equates to 1.435" for center of scope to top of rail.  So to calculate ring height for a 1" scope:
    1.435" - (1.000"/2) = 0.935".  This is the height of the Warne Ultra-High rings.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I forgot I had this pic.  The top rifle is using the RRA mount and the bottom has Warne high rings on a GG&G riser.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Excellent guys...thanks for the recommendations.  The pics help a lot, too...I think I'm on the right track now.

Hoplophile,
Do you prefer the RRA over the GG&G plus Warne?  Which setup do you think you'd buy again?  Have the RRA rings chewed up your rail?

Travis
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Ill be doing what Hoplophile is doing soon, but with a much less and not as good riser. I have the Warne High rings and you will probably need a riser.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do you prefer the RRA over the GG&G plus Warne?    Which setup do you think you'd buy again?

They are both excellent within their intended use.  

The RRA mount is great on that rifle because it doesn't have any backup irons so it doesn't matter that the RRA mount usually requires a tool (such as a coin) to loosen the screws and remove it.  That rifle also has a continuous top rail so I have all the freedom in the world to mount the scope whereever I want for perfect eye relief.  

The Warne rings are much easier to remove and reattach which makes them an excellent match for the GG&G rail and the GG&G folding BUIS that sits behind it.  But it also cost a lot more than the RRA mount and doesn't offer anything that I felt I needed on that particular rifle.

Have the RRA rings chewed up your rail?
Not at all.  I'd expect the Warne rings to have a greater risk of marring the rail than the RRA mount.  The most likely spot for a mount to damage a rail is at the corners where it clamps to the rail and the Warne rings have twice as many corners that could scratch the rail.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
but with a much less and not as good riser.

I bought mine when GG&G was having a clearance sale last year and it was much cheaper than normal.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:03:11 AM EDT
[#15]
The RRA Hi-Rise mount attaches/detaches the same way you use a Detachable Carry Handle: Steel knurled nuts that you finger tighten.

I can detach it in about 3 seconds. I loosen the nuts then spin them loose and quickly remove the entire bracket.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:32:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an "as new" set of Warne Ultra Highs.
They were mounted on my ARMS 38ex.
$20 shipped.
replace them with an Armalite mount.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have an "as new" set of Warne Ultra Highs.
They were mounted on my ARMS 38ex.
$20 shipped.
replace them with an Armalite mount.
hr

Rudison,

IM sent regarding your rings.

Thanks,

Travis
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Hoplophile,

Thanks for all your input and suggestions!  

As soon as I get my parts ordered and installed, I'll take some pics and post reviews, as it seems there's interest from other members on this topic.

Travis
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Back atcha!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top