Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2002 6:00:26 PM EDT
I'm wanting to buy a preban AR-15, with a flat-top and a flash suppressor. Preferably a full size, (20")? version. What should I look for in buying an AR, especically a preban version, at a gun show? (Barrel twist rate, bolt condition, how to check for wear, misuse, etc.)...

Also, what are some standard prices for ARs, (like for a blue label h-bar, this amount, for a standard sporter preban, this amount, etc.)
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Slinger --

Colt's command collector's prices at gun shows.  Find a serial number listing (maybe here) and take it with you before believing any rifle is a "pre-ban."

Since you're not going to get any bargains at a gun show, and may get an illegal weapon I recommend you see what "Pete in NH" has in stock and buy from him to be shipped to your local, friendly FFL.  

As far as the actual weapon is concerned note that the typical 20" barrel is the horrible HBAR (heavy barrel) and is more than a pound heavier than the M16A2 -- and all the weight is infront of the magazine.  Heck, a 16" HBAR is heavier than the M16A2.

Unless you carry a set of nearly unobtainable gages checking for more than overall condition is impossible.

1/7 twist is first choice.  1/9 is second.  Avoid 1/12.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Chuck. Check in the Equipment Exchange for your preban. Gun Shows rarely have any "deals".
I paid about $300 too much for mine. I could have gotten a better deal from a fellow AR15.com member here in the EE.
CHeck here first. Then take along a preban serial# list from Biggerhammer to the gun show.

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top