Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2003 5:25:57 PM EDT
I want something accurate and dependable!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I recommend Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Why the Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest Rock River Arms.

For:

Great price
Perfect Fit and Finish
Quality
Lifetime Warranty
Good Customer Service

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
ArmaLite - ACCURACY, fit/finish, lifetime warranty.

(The AR in AR-15 still stands for ARmalite !!)
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ArmaLite - ACCURACY, fit/finish, lifetime warranty.

(The AR in AR-15 still stands for ARmalite !!)
View Quote

Armalite!

Unless you have a super tight budget, then Rock River Arms, from Legal Transfers here on this board.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
You can't go wrong with Bushmaster, Colt, or Armalite.  All are great products, all are reputable companies.  Colt is however probably a bit overpriced.  Some say Rock River, but they don't thrill me.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I like my Bushmaster, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Armalite or an RRA (particularly if I was building instead of buying put together).
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Here we go again.  [flame]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, since you said accurate and didn't mention a budget, I would get a:

Knight's SR-15 match rifle.  It's got a premium Krieger barrel, a absolutely top of the line match trigger, and a free float system.  Things you would likely want no matter what you bought.  All this "out of the box".

Otherwise I would pick up a Bushmaster, or perhaps a Colt or RRA...

My .02
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I was initially going to get a Bushmaster or Colt, but I found that I could get a Rock River Arms with a fancier trigger and a Hogue grip included for much less money than the others' stripped-down comparable models.  I have been very happy with my purchase and would recommend RRA to anyone.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My first AR was a Bushmaster.

My next will be a RRA.

You can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#14]
My first was a bushmaster
my second was a rock river
my third was a bushmaster
my forth will be all bushmaster except the stripped lower rec.
my fifth........
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River.   If you want to spend more money for something with colector appeal, Colt.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I own a Bushmaster, Colt, Oly, and now a RRA lower and upper minus barrel. Quality of my Pre ban Bushmaster and Colt is A+. The RRA products I have were cheap-only in price, and the fit and finish is A+. I think they are moving up in the AR industry-they may have some growing pains. The Olys rifles I have are barreled with Oly SS barrels. The chambers are tight and had to be reamed to use 5.56 MM ammo. Neither the BM or Colt have ever jammed, straight out of the Box, even with reloads! The quality of the Olys have came up since I bought them in the eighties. I still have issues with the sloppy fit between the Oly A2 uppers carry handle and the rear sight base. Reading here, I have found that most people love there Armalite rifle just as much as the BM owners love there rifles. If I owned a company that made AR rifles, I would pay close attention to this site as there is a lot of feedback and information to be analized here. This site may be partialy responsible for Oly changing there warranty policy, and how they handle service issues. I would defintely get a chrome lined barrel AR- chambered for the 5.56 MM round if I was looking for a SHTF rifle. Maybe the stainless bbl. will be a little more accurate, but IMHO the chrome lined Barrel is more dependable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a mix of Armalite, Rock River, Model 1 kits, and Eagle lowers.  The quality of the RRA and Armalite and Eagle are excellent; the Model 1 kit is good, except for a cheap charging handle.  

I just bought a DPMS 308LR...if their AR0-15s are as nice as this rifle, I would put them on the list as well.

For some reason, I've been the kind of guy who doesn't always buy the "mainstream" choice...which is why I've bought stuff other than Bushmaster.  Don't know why that is, as Bushys aren't preposterously overpriced.  

Anyway, the conventional wisdom is ABC...Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt.  At this point, though, DPMS and Rock River should definitely be included in that group.  

Then you've got the custom places, like Les Bear, Lauer Tactical, Fultom Armory, etc.  

Your budget will have the most bearing on what you get...if money is indeed no object, Les Baer rifles are fantastically accurate.  Next to your budget, you need to figure out what you're gonna do with it.  No sense buying a 24" varmint gun if you're gonna be doing mostly CQB sort of stuff.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 2 pre ban Colts. I love them ,never had a problem with either. I would buy another Colt in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Colt, there are reasons people pay more for them. They are the most well put together from the start, very accurate and the resale value nobody can argue about, just look at the equiptment exchange. They are easier to sell and fetch a premium. Colt all of the way.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
1st AR BM A3 Shorty..
2nd AR BM 20" V-Match..
3rd AR BM Varminter..
4th AR Olympic PreBan Car..
5th AR Armalite ..
Recommend The BM's

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#22]
As Troy pointed out, it somewhat depends on what you are going to want to use it for. But once you have that down you can pretty much get what you want from any of the top 5(Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Rock River)

If it means anything to you, Bushmaster is a close to the military rifle as you can get. Same steel in barrel, chrome lined, same bolt/firing pin, etc.

My personal preference would be either a Bushmaster or a DPMS with a chrome lined bbl.

Edited to add: When you say 'accuracy' what are you talking about? There are different degrees of accuracy. First off, how good of a shot are you? What do you want to do with you're rifle? All of the listed ones will give you under 1 MOA accuracy(1" groups at 100 yards). The most accurate will probably be Armalite's AR-10's(cost more, different caliber but still AR styled).
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I love my bushmater.  www.Aimsurplus.com has them cheap if you can find the one you're looking for there.  Only problem I've had with mine is that it doesn't like the wolf ammo but I don't personally believe that putting steel casings through the gun are too good for it.  Anyway if you're paying that much for the gun I'd hope you have enough left over to buy some Q3131A or even the LC stuff if you can find it as cheap.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:26:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Love my Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The most accurate will probably be Armalite's AR-10's(cost more, different caliber but still AR styled).
View Quote
ArmaLite also makes the same gun in .223 - the M15A4(T) (rifle or carbine) for max accuracy.  However, the most versatile is probably their M15A4 - rifle or carbine and still plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Armalite [:D]
Reason, I have 4 AR's, out of all of them my Armalite has been  trouble free out of the box, it is the 20" M15A2(no brake) I also have 3 DPMS's if you are looking for a great critter getter, I would suggest the Panther deluxe 24 special(by DPMS), this rifle at 300 to 400 yards is unbeatable!
It out performs my Model 70 Winchester Stealth in .223 everytime with the same scope set up(Leupold 8.25 x 24 w/ side focus)So figure out what kind of shooting you are going to be doing, and look  do some shopping around
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#27]
There are a fair number of good brands that deliver a solid product, and these days, with virtually ALL machining being done via CNC mills, etc, using the same tolerances and dimensions as everybody else, there should be no reason why any particular company should be making rifles that are significantly better or worse than other companies, so long as they have good quality control.  

Any of the companies that have been recommended so far put out good products.  So you now have to choose what features you want and how much you want to spend.

I would advise this, though:  Don't get anything that has a CAST receiver.  Get only FORGED receivers.

Personally, I'm partial to Bushmasters and Colts. The Bushys are as good, in my opinion, but there's nothing like the "Genuine Article".

CJ
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#28]
For all 'around the house' use I would recommend to have a RRA 16" M4gery build by Pete-in-NH, do not waste your money with the fake telestock, it is not that functional (but looks cool) get the 2 stage trigger instead, price is good, the fit is just perfect and is a quality gun; I know Bushmasters are good too, but the ones I have seen had excessive play between the upper and lower and they did not seem to be at par with RRA.  Colt and Armalite are just ridiculously pricey and do not offer much more.  Shop around an ask questions and make a list of pros and cons of each individual maker and configurations, what works for me may not work for you.

BR
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top