Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/25/2004 7:24:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 4:52:34 AM EST by fizassist]
Ok, so Ameetec's uppers look awesome, but I've been spending too much on guns lately, so I'd like to put something together with existing, unused parts. I have a leftover DPMS Lo-pro upper that I'm not going to use on anything else because the top rail is too high and there is no forward assist. I figure I can kill 2 birds with one stone by making this a side-charger; a handle permanently affixed to the bolt carrier would double as a FA.

It seems pretty straightforward: mill a slot for the handle, drill and tap the carrier. I'm almost sure I've seen this done here, but I couldn't find it with search. Does anybody have any suggestions as to handle placement, angle, thread, size etc?

TIA!
fiz
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:23:42 AM EST
ME too. I was able to shoot one with a side charging knob. When I get my lower Im going to machine my A2 for the slot. I think 1/4-20 would be a good size to go with for the knob threads. I dont know how hard the carrier is yet as Ive never machined one before but Im hoping its not too hard or at least only surface hardened. Seems like the one I saw was in the 9 or 10 o'clock position.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:59:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 5:25:23 AM EST by fizassist]
I changed the title to reflect that I'm interested in a straght-pull bolt action, not a charging handle on the side (i.e. I'm going to attach the handle directly to the carrier.)

I guess the only thing I wonder about is how deep to drill; the only location that makes sense (lengthwise) for full bolt travel is below the front gas key screw. If I drill and tap all the way through, I have to make sure that I don't lose gas pressure back there (for semi operation).

Edited to add:

The more I think (and read), the more I think this is a better solution for a bolt action (not side-charging) upper:

The angle is predetermined, and the action is more like a traditional bolt gun.
Top Top