Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2003 6:35:33 PM EDT
My upper is a 14.5" bushmaster with a mini-Y permanently attached. The thing is so loud that I feel like my head is exploding.....

Anyway, I wish I had just gotten a 16", but I didn't, so now I'm trying to decide what to do.

About how much would it cost for bushmaster to re-barrel my upper with a 16"? Would I get anything for the 14.5"? Also, if I got a crowned 16", could it later be threaded if the ban sunsets?

What about a new break or other muzzle attachments? It's a post ban, so I can't have an evil flash hider, but I do know that nothing's permanent. Are there any muzzle devices long enough that still give some recoil reduction without being so loud? About how much would it cost to have a place like KKF remove a permanent install and replace it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Kurt from KKF has two models you may like.  The first is a compensator/brake that looks like an A2 flash hider.  It's not as loud as the Mini Y and his A3 model is long enough to make a 14.5 the legal 16 inches.  The other option is a Fake Flas supressor.  Basically it's just an added tube with cuts that don't go all the way through and give the appearance of a flash supressor.  He does both of these jobs for around $100 (about half of getting a new barrel from Bushmaster) including shipping if I remember correctly.  You should go to his board and ask for a quote to get a definite answer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to get rid of that mini Y, PM me.  I will take it off your hands.   Seriously.

The mighty mini Y is easily tamed to very reasonable levels by boring out the center bore to about 5/16ths of an inch.  (The bore where the bullet travels.)   It still holds the muzzle down, but reduces perceived noise to about the same level as a plain muzzle.

CJ

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your the info.

cmjohnson- Unfortunatly, when the break is removed from a permanent mounting, it is quite destroyed. Since I'm taking it off anyway, I'd rather get something a little more mil-spec looking. Also, would drilling it out as you describe make it into an "evil" flash hider as defined by whoever defines such things?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I assure you, drilling out the bore does NOT turn it into a flash hider!  

It also reduces the possibility of "bullet kiss" to practically zero.

I might be interested even in the DESTROYED mini Y so that I can use it for measurement and fun purposes, in case I want to try to make my own. (I have access to all machine tools needed.)

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top