Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/28/2002 2:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2002 2:18:27 PM EDT by PerfectGlock]
Following the discovery of the weapon used in the "sniper" attacks, I am certain that AR15's will be under fire. I have been planning on getting a Rock River Arms AR15 A4.

I would like to purchase the following accessories:

DPMS A2 Rear Sight

Plastic Snap-On Brass Catcher

Fulton Armory Adjustable Gas Tube

I have a few questions:

1. Will the rear sight interfere with the brass catcher?

2. I know that some special RRA AR15's are put on a custom order list. Would ordering it with a Chrome-Lined barrel put it on that list?

3. Are there any cheap online retailers? All of the gunshops in my area do not stock RRA, some don't even know what it is. The cheapest I can find is $709 from ADCO Firearms.

*EDIT*

4. What is your take on the Adjustable Gas Tube? Is it just a gimmick or a useful addition?
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:04:33 PM EDT
hi, i would suggest getting a bushmaster. Very good quality and service.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2002 4:54:51 PM EDT by bruh44]
Go with Bushmaster. They are of excellent quality, and they need our support!
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:20:16 PM EDT
If you are talking about a DPMS removeable rear sight, I have heard of some problems with them. I would go with an A.R.M.S rear sight or an GG&G rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 1:47:22 PM EDT
Are there any other sights out there that are adjustable for windage and elevation. The ARMS rear sight seems to only be adjustable for windage. I plan on using this as a target gun, would the DPMS sight break under those conditions?

I would appreciate your input for questions #1-4.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:01:21 PM EDT
If this will be a target gun, don't get flip up sights. They are emergency back ups and are not intended or designed for precision use.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:44:58 PM EDT
I wasn't planning on getting a Flip-Up sight. The DPMS A2 sight is precisely that. An A2 rear sight without the handle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 1:06:49 PM EDT
Enjoy your RRA. I have the 2001 LEGP M4gery and its just awesome to shoot (and learn about). I don't have any other AR15 type of experience to compare it to, but its a very high quality rifle. I have many other weapons and I think its one of the tops, right up there with my Sig. I think you will find most if not all RRA owners are very happy with their purchases on here. I plan on getting another one as soon as income allows for it (Check out Pete in NH in the Equipment Exchange).

My advice (if you want it):

1) Get a bunch of ammo. Seems to be some problems getting M193 type from ammoman.com right now, but he is tops and its great ammo and reasonably priced. Shoot lots of it.

2) Get a good cleaning kit. I have the OTIS M16 kit and its great. Get in contact with Donnie at Sableco.net

3) I am not sure what your intent is for using your new RRA but consider a good optical sight like the Aimpoint ML2. Wonderful add-on and really tops for CQB type of shooting. Just point and shoot once it sighted in.

4) Many good 30 and 20 rd mags.
5) Stripper clips, .50 cal ammo cans and load and store your ammo the right way. Sure makes it easy to load at the range and hey, if its good enough for the US Military, its sure good enough for me. I have also put some extra "SHTF" ammo away on stripper clips in bandoleers in ammo cans....but just call me crazy! LOL

That's a great start. Let me know if you need anything else...or I am sure you will get tons of help and advice from AR15.com. Its an awesome site.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 3:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2002 3:21:09 PM EDT by SMGLee]

Originally Posted By PerfectGlock:
Following the discovery of the weapon used in the "sniper" attacks, I am certain that AR15's will be under fire. I have been planning on getting a Rock River Arms AR15 A4.

I would like to purchase the following accessories:

DPMS A2 Rear Sight

Plastic Snap-On Brass Catcher

Fulton Armory Adjustable Gas Tube

I have a few questions:

1. Will the rear sight interfere with the brass catcher?

2. I know that some special RRA AR15's are put on a custom order list. Would ordering it with a Chrome-Lined barrel put it on that list?

3. Are there any cheap online retailers? All of the gunshops in my area do not stock RRA, some don't even know what it is. The cheapest I can find is $709 from ADCO Firearms.

*EDIT*

4. What is your take on the Adjustable Gas Tube? Is it just a gimmick or a useful addition?

To answer your question, my opinion for your accessories would be to

1. dump the gas tube, standard mil-spec tube are the best.
2. DPMS makes a good back up iron sight, and that is exactly what it is. but for your requirement, you want a detachable carrying handle with national match peep.
3. for precision target shooting, the stainless barrel version of the rock river Standard A4 would be a better choice. for general plinking, the chromed barrel will last longer. Chrome line is not a stansard RR practice, thsi is why you have to endure the wait.
4. Plastic brass catcher is nice, but for collecting brass, a tarp on the ground will do the same job. I never like the catcher unless you are firing out of a car, chopper, or you just don't want anyone to find your brass.

Finally, if you got a flat top, get a decent optic for it, you will be happier. look into IOR M2, it is a excellent 4x scope at a decent price.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 6:58:20 PM EDT
Is it safe to fire 5.56 in a match .223 chamber that the RRA has? I would like to fire some of that cheap military ammo.

Thank you for the replies.

I haven't ordered it yet, just gathering intelligence first. Ignorance isn't bliss, it's expensive.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 11:08:37 PM EDT
I just ordered A RRA Tac. Car-a4. Each gun is built to order. Chrome or not it takes 3 weeks to build one. I know I'm waiting, and the wait sucks. I didn't think about the Chrome option untill after a week or so into it. But oh well This won't be my only upper :)

Im still kind of new to this gun to but I hope this helps!

JIM
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 3:05:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2002 3:07:03 AM EDT by TheRicker]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 2:14:40 PM EDT
No, actually, I live in SE Michigan (AKA Liberal Town). Toledo is a few hours from where I live. I might just go down there myself and buy it. Does anyone know if this is legal? I would rather avoid the transfer fees with a dealer (very expensive in my area) and I would like to see what else they have.

Thanks for the link.

If anyone is reading this and is interested in getting an RRA for real cheap, here is the link:

http://www.adcofirearms.com/ar.cfm?page=ar
Top Top