Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/21/2012 5:30:52 AM EST
A week ago I attended a Friends of the NRA banquet. I came away with a Polymer AR 15 receiver. Paid too much but it was for a worthy cause. Anyway, I've been thinking about what I want to do with it. I already have an AR 15 that I built, or rather somebody helped me build, about a year ago that pretty much meets what I was wanting in an AR 15. Well, for Labor Day, I took my family out for a shooting activity. My 18 year old daughter tried the AR 15 which she liked shooting just fine, except it was too heavy on the front end for her too shoot for very long. So I figure I could use this polymer receiver to build a light weight rifle she might be able to enjoy shooting. In searching for carbinee barrels on Brownell's site, I see barrels with factory contour, light weight contour, carbine contour, etc. Light weight seems to be what I'm probably looking for but I don't know what is meant by carbine contour or factory contour. The site doesn't give barrel weight in the specs, only muzzle diameter. I'm also considering what type of hand guard. I'd love to put a polymer or carbon fiber hand guard on to save weight but then I don't have the option of rails. I had planned on doing a flat top with BUIS sights. Without rails that isn't an option. I guess I can live with that. So, if I get a barrel with a front site tower already installed, does a rear BUIS sight line up correctly with the tower front sight?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Darwin
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:50:07 AM EST
Think about your issue for a second, or rather your daughter's issue. The rifle you have already set is too front heavy for her. Going to a light polymer lower is only going to increase the weight forward of the receiver. You want to shift weight towards the back like a heavier stock. Add some weight to the stock.

Also, going lighter weight is going to increase recoil impulse. I have a 14.5" middy gov profile setup that weighs in at 6.7# unloaded with irons - very handy KISS light rifle but my standard 16" carbine has a smoother feel that weighs in around 8# with flashlight, Aimpoint, spare parts in the grip.

All that said, how much does the girl shoot? Most people who do not shoot much and are not necessarily that strong will say rifles are front heavy and have a hard time holding the rifle/shotgun up for any length of time largely due to shooting posture. Also, hitting the gym wouldn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:15:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 7:16:15 AM EST by Mad-Machinist]
I have a lot of problems teaching first time female .....hell any first time shooter, correct posture..................the all want to shoulder the weapon straight out from the shoulder and awkwardly contort their head down to try and see the sights.....very few comprehend that the must shoulder the weeapon and then bring it across their body at roughly a approximately 45 degree angle......with that said......I have built a 5.5 pound gunwith rails on a Cav Arms Lower
I'd go with a pencil profile carbine barrel (Take an M4 and re profile on the lathe).....low profile gas block and a Midwest Industries Gen II two piece free float midlength rail.. Would make a hell of a light uppe and if you put a Holographic or red dot on the upper...I think the difference should be noticable......even without knowing the configuration of the upper that is too heavy.......also a vertical foregrip wouldn't hurt.....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:24:55 AM EST
Look at PSA. I'm using a lightweight mid upper, but the pencil is even lighter.

Upper weight from light to heavy:
Pencil
Lightweight
M4
Government
A2
Heavy

Also depends on length and gas length.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:10:46 AM EST
Hmm.... I hadn't considered some of those things. One possibility is to put a Harris Bipod on my existing rifle and she can shoot seated at a table.
I was thinking a 16" barrel and DI gas system. I understand there are different length gas systems but I don't know enough about the pros and cons of the different lengths. That'll be something I'll clearly need to make a decision on before ordering a barrel.
My first instincts were to use a free-float hand guard but I'm potentially rethinking that.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:09:38 AM EST
DI is going to best option to keep weight away from the muzzle.

Gas lengths from shortest to longest are carbine, mid, rifle. Carbine length is better for around 14.5 barrels though I run a 14.5 mid without any issues so far. Mid for 16". Rifle for 18"+. Shorter lengths are considered to have harsher recoil though it can be played with by adjustable gas system, bolt carrier group (bcg) weight, buffer weight, and some say buffer springs - though I would say the order I listed are going to have the greatest effects and more easily measurable to least easily measurable.

What make/model is your setup rifle now? Adding a bipod to something non-free float (FF) will effect accuracy.

I would start by getting her accustomed to better shooter posture and adding weight to the stock. Cheapest and like the most effective route at this point.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:34:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 11:38:07 AM EST by darwins]
This is my current rig.
LAR Grizzly-15 lower
DSA upper
YHM free float hand guard
don't remember who made the BCG or barrel
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L0vYeS0L7eE/UK1HIfQu6CI/AAAAAAAAUqo/zykCTwgG9pg/s144/Assorted%2520pics%2520009.JPG
Oh yeah. That's my Glock 19 also.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:07:44 PM EST
YHM rails are pretty beefy............check the weight of the one you have on the website against the weight of the Midwest Industries 2 piece Gen II free float.....you'll be surprised.....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:32:09 PM EST
So the bipod shouldn't affect accuracy wit that rail. Like stated, YHM are heavy though. The stock you have is also fairly light weight so it offers little to counter balance the rail. You definitely have plenty of options to pursue.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:13:35 PM EST
lightweight profile 14.5" midlength. Consider a brake if she's not sensitive to noise/blast.

Remember, you have to balance weight and recoil for smaller framed shooters. A lighter gun is going to recoil more sharply. The midlength in a 14.5" and a brake will mitigate the recoil.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:52:02 AM EST
Consider the Magpul MOE handguard. It's lightweight, and you can put a small rail where you need it at 10, 2 or 6 o'clock. It's what I'm putting on my lightweight build. Remember, if you go with a 14.5" barrel, you'll need to pin and weld on a muzzle device to bring the barrel to at least 16".
Top Top