Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 8:55:21 PM EDT
I want to build my first AR15.  After reading topics all over the board (many hours or reading), it seems that a forged 7075-T6 lower is what I need to start with.  Is this correct?  With that, I still have a lot of other questions.  Where and/or who makes a good stripped lower that is inexpensive (not cheap, cheap gets you in trouble)?  I just want a good building block, but not top of the line.  Also, I like the idea of starting with an 80% lower with at least the trigger and mag area already cleared out. How much should I expect to pay for one and who carries it?  Plus a decent jig too, I will probably make one for my dad also.  All information will be a great help.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#1]
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=148435]BIY lower build sites[/url]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Check out this link.

He has all the different tools for every little thing you have to build.

Very nice and pretty affordable.

[url]http://adcofirearms.com/tools.cfm?page=acc[/url]

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a direct answer, here you go:

1.  Have Quantico Arms sends an Eagle Arms stripped lower to an FFL near you. ($120, give or take)

2.  Buy the kit of the style of rifle you want to make from J & T distributors or Model 1 Sales.  They sell everything from pistol kits to M4s to 24" varminters and everything in between. ($400-550, depending on your kit)

3.  Do yourself a favor and get a set of punches.  You don't need them (I've build one with out them), but they make your build much easier.  The punches are only $20 for some nice Starrett ones.

4.  Put it together, shoot the hell out of it, and build more due to the fact that you are now fully addicted to black rifle fever and bulding ARs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I am going to go with the Eagle Arms lower.  Next decision is whether or not to get a kit or piece it together?  Once again, I want the popular opinion.  Has anyone bought a 16" barrel kit and was completely amazed with it?  Also, has anyone done the same thing and was pissed off with it once it was done?  This is going to be my "home defense” so I want to keep it short and lightweight.  The next one will be the "reach out and touch somebody" rifle.  

ar15zams - Step #4 There will be many builds.  I'm in the military and I was one of the few who loved to go out to the range all day and fire my M16.  Now, I just have one at home with all the cool stuff I want on it!

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Good info above. If you get a complete kit from J&T, M&A, etc., with the upper already built, you can complete your rifle without any special tools. For a first rifle, for most people, that's the way to go. Later, when you accumulate the tools to install barrels and such, buying all the parts separate will be an option.

As far as wanting to start your AR building with an 80% lower, that's pretty ambitious.... Some do it and have a good product at the end. And some don't....

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#6]
There are 3 levels of "build":

1.  Get a stripped, but 100% finished lower from your FFL, then get a kit from someplace like J&T.  You put the stock, grip, trigger, etc. on the lower and pop on the upper.  This is what most people mean when they say "build" an AR, and you get a gun that's just like if you bought an assembled one.

2.  Get an 80% finished lower and do the last 20% of the machining yourself.  This is mostly drilling holes and can be done w/o a mill.  (It'll be easier with a mill, but if you have a mill you might as well do a 0% and get a better lower when you're done.)  Once you get it finished you build it up with a kit as in #1.  Since most 80% lowers are cast instead of forged it won't be quite as good.  You also can't ever sell it.

3.  Get a 0% raw forging and do all the machining yourself.  This will require a mill, but when you're done you have exactly the same thing the manufacturers make.  Once it's finished, build up with a kit like #1.  Like the 80% you won't be able to ever sell it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I doubt I'll ever sell my rifles.  Everybody has something they collect.  I've seen the 80% cast, but no forged.  Do you know where you could get an 80% forged? Price? They only two things I have not done is remove the barrel from the upper and take apart the trigger group.  Eventually, I will get to the point where I will build for an 80% and assemble everything.  I just need time to get the tools to do it.  No large stacks of money setting around here.  I have two hobbies that take a lot of money, motorcycles and AR15s.  Think the local law enforcement will get mad if I combined the two?  [argue]  AR15 mounted above the headlight?  Probably wouldn't work. [heavy]

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I saw some place that sold forged lowers in various states of completion, but I don't recall where it was.  I'm sure somebody on here does.  I know Les Baer sells lowers with just the magwell cut out, but the price is kinda high.

I haven't built anything myself.  Yet.  I've got an extra upper that needs a lower and I'm planning on building it up from a stripped.  Maybe someday I'll make a 0%.  I've read some of the build sites and it looks like fun, but the tools are not within my budget just yet.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I would go with a completed lower receiver for your first build.If this is going to be used for home defense, you might want to consider building it with a chrome-lined barrel.Eagle Arms lowers are getting great reviews and would make an excellent starting point.RRA receivers are also the same price and their upper receivers have M4 feed ramp cut outs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been reading around the board and there isn't too much out there about the different kit companies. Either that or my compass is broke and I can't find the topics.  There are some bits out there about J&T, but what about the Model 1 and M&A Parts?  Has anyone had problems with their kits?  It will be going on an Eagle Arms stripped lower.  Also, is it recommended to get a bolt group for each upper or is fine to switch the bolt groups out when I change the upper?  That way I can have one lower and 2 different uppers.  Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, expect this time I want to hear them.  lol!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Forget kits and lowers - start with the barrel.

The barrel is the single most important component and will determine how well your rifle shoots and functions.  It also has more to do with handling and balance than anything else.

For your first build I [b]strongly[/b] recommend a chrome-lined barrel from either Colt or Bushmaster.  Otherwise when you're done, you may end up spending a lot more time trying to get it to work than you do shooting it.  Also, buying the bolt at the same time from the same place as the barrel will save you some grief.  Forget H-BARs, they're just to damn nose heavy.  I'm partial to M4geries because I shoot just as well with a 14.5" and a 20", and I like the way they handle.

After that, it really doesn't matter.  Upper, lower, buffer tube, hammer, selector, pins springs, who cares?  It's all just parts.  And they're easily replaced.  But start out with a funky barrel and your AR will [b]never[/b] work right.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

2.  snip....You also can't ever sell it.

3.  snip....Like the 80% you won't be able to ever sell it.
View Quote

Not correct!

BATFE rulings state you can make one for personal use but you can't make it for the purpose of selling or transferring it. They don't say you can NEVER sell or transfer it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top