Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 6:01:17 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster A3 Shorty AK that I want to set up with an Aimpoint ML2.  I've researched this site and THINK I have it all figured out, but am still confused about a few items:

I decided on the Aimpoint 4 M.O.A. ML2 without 2X magnification, and without the night vision compatibility.  I am not planning  on using any night sight equipment, but should I consider the 2X model?  Exactly what does the Aimpoint Killflash ARD do?  Should I get that as well?  And the Polarizing filter?  Your comments are appreciated.

I am going to mount this on the Picatinny flat top using the A.R.M.S. #22M68.  I am also planning on getting the A.R.M.S. #40 Stand Alone Flip Up Sight. Will this set up allow for "perfect" Red Dot co-witness?  Should I consider other mounting hardware or other rear sights?  I'm confused about the sleeves and the optional Modular Spacer.  Please advise as to what exactly I need to set this sight up properly.

Your assistance in getting this AR Newbie up and running is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The Killflash ARD reduces the red glare on the front lens of the M2 which could be seen by an enemy combatant. A nice accessory but most do without it.

The polarizing filter reduces glare and improves vision if you are going to be using the sight in an environment with a lot of glare.

The 2X version gives you 2X magnification but reduces your field of view quite a bit.

I would recommend using the ARMS M68 ring on top of the ARMS 38 standard rail. The ARMS 38 raises the M68 above the front sight post increasing your field of view. No ring spacer is needed in this case. The ARMS 38 also has the flip up rear sight incorporated into the rail.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
On the other hand I recommend co-witnessing your sights. They cross check each other's alignment and give you the same cheek weld for both sights.

Under stress you'll not see anything much anyways - other than your target and front sight.

The Killflash removes the reflective front glare. The front lens of the Aimpoint is slightly curved and a nice "un-natural" color of red. It does reduce the ammount of visble light a tiny bit but remember this is a sight used with both eyes open.

I wouldn't go with a 2x as this is a CQB sight not a target one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:01:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Straight on the flat-top your ML2 w/ #22M68 [b]WILL NEED THE FULL SPACER[/b] to co-witness.

The #38 EX  spoken of above is a good suggestion and will come w/ the #40 installed on it, [b]NO SPACER[/b] required for co-witness w/ this set-up.

Here's a link discussing BUIS, which shows the #38 EX and ML2/#22M68 set-up.... whenever the "photo-server" gets back up.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=152912&page=1[/url]

Mike
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top