Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2005 12:49:02 PM EDT
I want an ACOG. Problem is that I don't know enough about them to decide which model to get. What would you guys recommend? Model? Recticle? Best place to buy? Good prices? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a lot of research and am now in the market for a TA31F.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What drew you to that?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Eye relief is adequate, the chevron is simple and bright for short ranges, and more precise than the "donut of death" for long ranges.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I read ya. Thank you sir. Anybody else?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Best thing you can do is get some "eye-time" with each variant.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
i had both the TA31F and the TA11F, i have no experience with the TA01NSN

first if you are considering a 5.5x acog (the big ones).  don't bother, the task is better accomplished with a good variable scope.

the 11F has 2.4" of eye relief and 3.5X magnification
the 31F has 1.5" of eye relief and 4X magnification
both chevron reticles

When i used the 31F i felt that if my nose moved at all from the charging handle then i got the fuzzy black ring start to show up around the perimeter of the sight picture.  Just like when you pull your face back from any other riflescope.

(NOTE: i did have it mounted all the way to rear against my BUIS)  

When using the 11F i found the extra eye relief was a blessing (for me) .  The 11F is however larger then its brother the 31F and it is also weighs ~2.5 ounces more.  

i still have and use the 11F and it works well for me.  also note that ACOGs in general are TOUGH optics.

(but i am selling everything i can't justify "saving" for a S&B short dot)  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
what and how are you going to use the rifle?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#8]
You name it and that is what I'll be using it for. Plinkin, huntin varmints, huntin deer, home D, and SHTF. I guess I'm looking for an all arounder.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You name it and that is what I'll be using it for. Plinkin, huntin varmints, huntin deer, home D, and SHTF. I guess I'm looking for an all arounder.

For hunting varmints a standard variable scope is a better option.
For home D and SHTF, a red dot scope is a little better.

I like the extra eyerelief of the x3.5 (11) better myself with a fixed stock.

Regards
John
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
  I personally am uncomfortable with  "nose to the charging handle" shooting, but I don't kick down doors or work in the Sand box.       (God Bless the Men & Women that do !! )

That being said, I much prefer the 3.5 x 35 TA11 series for the little extra eye relief this provides.

If you go with the 4 x 32 you better have a collapsable stock... Also if you run a BUIS your stock will be fully collapsed or very close to it for proper eye relief....

AGAIN,  this is just my observation/opinion.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the TA31F and it works well for me.  I do kick in doors and I can use it for snap shots anywhere from 50-100 meters.  The eye relief is good.  Most important, I dont have to do that nose on the charging handle thing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you know what the eye relief is for each model?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#13]
ACOG 3.5x35
Specifications:

Magnification:      3.5X  
    Eye Relief:       60mm (2.4in)  
    Exit Pupil:       10mm  
    Field of View:  5.5 degrees  
    Length:  203mm (8.0 in)  
    Weight:  397g (14 oz)  
    Field of View:  9.63m at 100m (28.9 ft at 100 yds)  
    Adjustment:  15 Seconds of Angle per click  
    Reticle:  4 MOA Outside Diameter and 2 MOA Inside Diameter  
    Tritium Activity:  100 milliCuries in one source  

ACOG 4x32
Specifications:

Magnification:  4X  
    Eye Relief:  1.5 in  
    Exit Pupil:  8 mm  
    Field of View:  7.0 degrees  
    Length:  5.8 in  
    Weight:  9.9 oz  
    Field of View:  36.8 ft at 100 yds  
    Adjustment:  3 clicks per inch at 100 yds.  
    Tritium Activity:  100 milliCuries in one source  

Any ACOG you choose will be a great optic.   Enjoy whatever you choose and good luck !
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a TA01 because i like the simple cross hair reticle and don't plan on using it for home defense or close up work as I have others ARs for that. I mounted it on a 20 flat top upper and found the eye releif was a problem with the A2 stock on it. I went with a A1 stock and solves the eye relief problem for me. A collapsable stock would be ideal as you can adjust it easily. Scope is bright and clear but eye relief is critical on the ACOGS.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:40:41 AM EDT
[#15]
i have a few acogs and i prefer the specs on the 4x ta31 series.

have the ta31 donut and the ta31f chevron, like the chevron for more accurate placement. the ta31 is accurate as well but much faster than the chevron to pickup for quick shots.

i also have a ta47r2 which has a great amount of eye relief but its mounted in a carryhandle for my 9mm carbine. triangle reticle with 2x mag. great for the 9mm since its a big reticle with long eye relief. quick shots with this thing is a breeze.

all this being said i would say that the triangle reticle is the better all around reticle. triangle tip for accurate shot placement and bulk of the triangle itself for quick shots. eye relief would be your personal deal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

All the TA31 series are the same. You just have to decide which recticle you like best. I like the TA31F due to the fact I am use to the shape and size of my mouse icon on my puter screen. The chevron and the icon are close in size.

I have a TA31 and TA01NSN also.

I really like the range finding ability in in NSN for long distance shots.

My Favorites are the TA31F and NSN.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I really like the range finding ability in in NSN for long distance shots.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but the TA31F has range finding for 4-800.

The best prices I've found are here
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I want an ACOG too, but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]
what about a TA31 with Doc Optic Red dot
gives you the best of both worlds
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#22]
The TA11 series is the brightest (largest exit pupil, 10mm), and the most forgiving of eye placement and has the longest relief of all the ACOGs.

If you might ever use it on a 30cal, you really need the extra eye relief. I prefer the longer eye relief on the AR too just beacuse it's more relaxed and not so close, but on a 7.62 or heavier the longer relief is required.

I had a freind scarred badly this year by wearing his hunting scope. He was laying prone facing downhill, in snow and heavy clothes, and shooting uphill at a buck on another hill. He lost his shoulder weld due to angle and clothes and got slapped bad. Bloodied and shaken, he did get the buck!

The ACOG is much more forgiving than a standard hunting scope because it has a very shallow rounded edge, but I don't want it hitting me or anyone shooting my rifles for it's own sake and ours.
Hitting someones glasses might scratch it too, whcih would be horrible. I'd rather bleed myself!

The BAC red donut reticle is not as precise as other reticles due to it's curves and lack of angles. But for speed once you practice and think about the Binden Aiming technique enough and it becomes second nature it works very well. A chevron or other shape might work just as well for both eyes open as long as it is bright, but also be more precise with it's angle shaped pointer.

Hint: From my friend Mr Nash Coldiron (no fooling, thats his real birth name!)
For precise target shooting with an ACOG, cover the fiber optic with electrical tape [touching just enough to stick]
blocking ambient light from getting in, and causing the reticle to appear black, which looks sharper than a glowing color.  ;-P

My two cents on ACOGs.

Nuts{WoC}

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#23]
how about the TA31-RCO compared to TA31-F ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
how about the TA31-RCO compared to TA31-F ?

basically the same other than differ bdc and imo too busy of a sight picture
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Deleted..
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Eye relief is adequate, the chevron is simple and bright for short ranges, and more precise than the "donut of death" for long ranges.

I have the "donut of death".  I really like it.  Although it isn't as precise as the cheveron, at 50 yards the donut fits nicely around the center of a paper target.  At 100 yards it fits perfectly around 100 yard official targets.  I have had no problems putting nice groupings down range with the TA31.  It is also very nice if you are moving your point of aim to shoot at multiple targets quickly.  
I was looking for a TA31 or TA31F (at the time) for the best prices as well.  Since I never looked at either close up,  I was able to find a NIB TA31 for $795 out the door off gunbroker.  That is what I wound up getting.
Maybe in my next life I will get the TA31F.  If I had the money I would get both.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:05:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm a fan of the TA31A.  I found the triangle to have the best blend of reticule visibility and precision.  Since most if not all my shooting is <200 yards, it only makes sense.  After trying all three I chose the triangle....second choice being the chevron.  I owned the donut TA31, but never liked it.  I can't stand the anguish of trying shoot using the edge of the circle as an aiming point.  Sure it can be done, and done well, but I can't stand it.

YMMV, in the end you'll have to make the choice yourself.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I went with the TA01NSN because I liked the ACOG.

I wanted crosshairs, since that is what I have used for the last 15 or so yrs. with bolt action rifles. (I'm new to the AR scene.)  I liked the centerline illumination rather than the full reticle, less distracting IMO.  

The reticle is crisp, very precise.   I LOVE the glass in it.   I would say it's better glass than my Leupold.  To me the quality of the glass justifies the price.  I got mine from eaglefirearms.net for $769.  Nine bucks shipping and it was mine.  Great people to deal with.

LaRue mount is rock solid.  I love it too.  Buy it direct from larue's website.  The mount came with a wrench for the allen bolts, two allen bolts,  a wrench to adjust tension on the levers, a little vial of lock tite, a larue hat, and a bottle opener.  

Drawbacks?  

1. The AMBER color is 'faint'.  I liked the Red better, it would have been preferred since it's brighter IMO.  This doesn't mean the amber doesn't 'work', it does just fine.

2. The BUIS on top of the ACOG is pretty worthless.  I never see an instance where I'd use it.  Kinda unnatural position for me looking through it, can't describe it too well.

If I could do it all again I would get the TA01C red center line.  

The TA01 isn't as fast as an Aimpoint, but it works for me, the magnification is a big plus.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Drawbacks?  

1. The AMBER color is 'faint'.  I liked the Red better, it would have been preferred since it's brighter IMO.  This doesn't mean the amber doesn't 'work', it does just fine.

2. The BUIS on top of the ACOG is pretty worthless.  I never see an instance where I'd use it.  Kinda unnatural position for me looking through it, can't describe it too well.

1. This comes down to personal preference and differences in eye-sight, but I have found the amber to work really well in the dark. It is easy to pick up and doesn't distract me as much as the red one. I like the amber a lot.

2. The BUIS is there for the military guys, not much use for range work, I admit. They can be very useful in the civilian world too, I'm thinking 3-gun matches and those up-close targets. At less than 20 yards I would probably use the BUIS to take the targets quickly, using the optics would probably slow me down a bit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#30]
For competition I would recommend a Trijicon TA01 from JP Enterpries with CTR-02 reticle.
This setup is used by more top ranked 3 gun competitors than any other.

click on http://www.jprifles.com/ then Trijicon, then JP Trijicon
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#31]
So do I. I have been looking at them a lot here lately. For me the TA01 makes the most sense.

I'm not using this for close in work and I prefer the standard cross-hairs over the chevrons or donut reticles. I also have no need or desire for the BAC feature that most other ACOGs have. TA01's can be had for ~ $650 right now which also makes it one of the most affordable ACOGs.

That said, I'm still having a hard time justifying $650 (plus another $100+ for a decent mount) for a fixed 4x power optic on a range queen. The other thing that bothers me is that 1.5" eye relief.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of quality options in a similar format. IOR makes a 3x fixed power optic that is in the loose category but it's significantly different and I haven't found out much about it yet. There are a number of decent 1.x-4(-5)X scopes out there but their prices are at ACOG level (or higher) and I'm not keen on tube scopes on AR's with fixed FSB's (which is what I have)

Sorry, I just realized I'm thinking out loud more then answering your question
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#32]
TA11D here. Love it.

The tritium's getting dim though; I'm actually shipping it back to Trijicon tomorrow. Their customer service department seems pretty good so far.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top