Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 1:58:18 PM EDT
Walter Birdsong's Green T vs. Alumahyde II OD

I was wondering if any fellow ARFCOMers have had experience with both these products and which they thought to be better?

When I say better, I mean:

1) easier to apply and use
2) look of finish on weapon
3) amount of light the finish reflects (amount of shine to finish)
4) how much lubrication the finish provides

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can obtain some Walter Birdsong Green T? I can't find it anywhere.

Thx
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
1)  Walt's is easier to apply.  You just send it off to him and it comes back all done.

2)Walt's looks much better unless you're a professional painter.

3)  Walt's does polish up a bit after use but still not glossy.

4) Walt's will run dry but I wouldn't do it to that.

He doesn't sell his stuff in a can.  He puts it on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Birdsong finishes are not available for sale as a packaged product.  You have to send the gun to them to have it applied.

That said, I had a shotgun done earlier this year and the results were amazing.  They completely detail stripped the gun, bead blasted it, and finished everything including the springs.  They claim you can run the gun completely without lube, and so far my experience seems to refelct that.  Granted, it is a pump gun, so it doesn't need much lube anyway.

The Birdsong process actually binds to the metal in a molecular process.  I don't think you can really compare it to a spray on, paint-type finish.  Apples and Oranges.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Any contact info for Birdsong?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any contact info for Birdsong?

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Birdsong finishes are not available for sale as a packaged product.  You have to send the gun to them to have it applied.

That said, I had a shotgun done earlier this year and the results were amazing.  They completely detail stripped the gun, bead blasted it, and finished everything including the springs.  They claim you can run the gun completely without lube, and so far my experience seems to refelct that.  Granted, it is a pump gun, so it doesn't need much lube anyway.

The Birdsong process actually binds to the metal in a molecular process.  I don't think you can really compare it to a spray on, paint-type finish.  Apples and Oranges.

How much did it cost to get your shotgun done????
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Since nobody had replied with any contact info I searched & found this:

Description: Walter Birdsong-- (601)939-7448. --Used and trusted by the most elite military and law enforcement agencies in the United States on all their tactical weapons. This finish is particularly known for it's corrosion resistance and self-lubricating properties.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I think he charges $198 for the whole job including return shipping.  I benefited from a slight LEO discount off that price.

It is worth every penny.

WE Birdsong & Associates
1435 Monterey
Florence, MS 39073
(601) 939-7448

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you very much for the help
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top