Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2006 6:30:31 AM EST
Remington 55gr. factory ammo just went up from $3.97 a box to $4.89.
here in Oklahoma
Has anybody noticed this increase at their local China-mart?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:34:53 AM EST
nope, haven't been back since I bought out the surrounding 4 stores of there 3.97 Rem ammo.

Probably won't be back either at those prices.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:45:16 AM EST
Rem increased same as you, and when they started carrying the Winchester White Box 40 rounders they went up to around $10, an increase of about $2.25. Piss on them, I will go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:18:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
Rem increased same as you, and when they started carrying the Winchester White Box 40 rounders they went up to around $10, an increase of about $2.25. Piss on them, I will go elsewhere.

i went in my wally world yesterday and saw that too
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:13:33 AM EST
was there last night, still 3.97. bought them out of their 8 box stock. done the same last weekend also. the guy again had a monotonous look on his face, apparently they don't like it when you buy all their stock . also noticed a new brand, the federal valupack, i believe which is 49.99 or something for 200 rounds. btw, my keyboard is malfunctioning, hence the no caps and have no auto-backspace and other annoying probs. have this issue every once in a while, seems to be an os problem.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:56:34 AM EST
4.78/box of 20 In Elk River and Coon Rapids MN

BULLSHIT!

Fuck China Mart.

No need to buy ammo from them anymore!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:09:41 AM EST
I haven't been able to find any 223UMC in the half dozen Walmart stores I've been in since I bought some last week for $3.97. I did buy 4 boxes of Winchester 40rd value packs yesterday for $7.77. The shelf tag read $7.77 but when the guy went to ring it up the register said $9. something. He did a manual thing and rung it up for the $7.77.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:09:55 AM EST
I checked in Fredericksburg VA yesterday. Remington had gone up. Guess i am done buying ammo at walmart.

On a happier note 9mm only went up $0.80 or so. 9mm and WWB 223 was all i ever bought.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:21:03 AM EST
There has been NO 40rd value packs at my WalMart the last three times I've been there.

Luckily, they have not increased the price of CCI MiniMags, as I buy two boxes everytime I'm there so I can check out at the sporting goods counter.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:31:29 PM EST
I should have mentioned in my earlier post that a women salesperson at a Walmart told me the other day that each store prices it's ammo depending on the local competition. To clarify I asked her if all the stores in Baltimore for example could be different and she said yes. I've heard of chains having regional pricing but never individual locations. I would think that could get out of hand for a national chain.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:33:04 PM EST
Is there any difference between Winchester 40rd value pack ammo and the regular 20rd white box.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:33:57 PM EST
That woman doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.......
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:39:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 12:40:06 PM EST by ar-wrench]
Get a grip, guys. Copper, lead and brass are at all time highs as far as price. Factor in increased shipping, and ammo is going to go up in price, and a lot.

It was underpriced for several years, hope you took advantage of it.

Don't blame WalMart, it is something called "cost push inflation" For you youngsters that weren't around during the Carter Administration, there was a time the annual inflation rate was about 20%.

We have been lucky for the last 6 years.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:42:07 PM EST
.223 is near to impossible to find here. Went into a gun shop today 500 rounds $180. That is almost 40 cents a round. Will be over 40 cents a round when you pile on tax,

Went to Wally world found the increas to $10 for value pack, Pick uyp 12 boxes for insurance purposes.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:42:08 PM EST
I saw that tonight too. I'm done with it also. I guess I'll order online now or something. I'm still buying 9mm though. I bought 3 boxes of 9 and 1 box of 12 guage and a 100 rd. box of 380 for my wife.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:45:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 5:55:49 PM EST by buzter]
You could order from georgia arms. 500 rds. canned heat for 90 bucks. Oops, now 95.(just checked)

Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
.223 is near to impossible to find here. Went into a gun shop today 500 rounds $180. That is almost 40 cents a round. Will be over 40 cents a round when you pile on tax,

Went to Wally world found the increas to $10 for value pack, Pick uyp 12 boxes for insurance purposes.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:15:01 AM EST
I figured they WWB would rot on the shelf and they would be stuck with it but then I see post like the other guy who bought 12 boxes. I really like the stuff also as its really accurate and reliable but if I was just plinking and not shooting groups or something I would buy ANYTHING else that was less expensive. You can get the Q3131 which not my favorite for shooting groups for accuracy is reliable and the same price as WWB or less depending on your local stores.
JR
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:06:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By JRandyH:
I figured they WWB would rot on the shelf and they would be stuck with it but then I see post like the other guy who bought 12 boxes. I really like the stuff also as its really accurate and reliable but if I was just plinking and not shooting groups or something I would buy ANYTHING else that was less expensive. You can get the Q3131 which not my favorite for shooting groups for accuracy is reliable and the same price as WWB or less depending on your local stores.
JR

I figure that is by far the exception. I won't buy any at that price (at least until the other options are exhausted). It has to have slowed down greatly, as all the stores around here that used to sit with empty shelves, are now magically full all the time. W-Mart may or may not notice.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:23:50 PM EST
Wonder if this is a reaction to the November 2005 group ammo buy from WalMart?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:00:53 PM EST
CT Wal Marts Remington Premier STS shotshells went up from $4.97/box to $5.47 A 10% increase
in one week.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:07:10 PM EST
Are you fucking kidding me? Will we ever see an end to this?

My Wal-Mart has been out of that Remington UMC 55gr stuff for a while, but the tag still said $4 today.

I'm sure it will rise soon.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:47:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By ar-wrench:
Get a grip, guys. Copper, lead and brass are at all time highs as far as price. Factor in increased shipping, and ammo is going to go up in price, and a lot.

It was underpriced for several years, hope you took advantage of it.

Don't blame WalMart, it is something called "cost push inflation" For you youngsters that weren't around during the Carter Administration, there was a time the annual inflation rate was about 20%.

We have been lucky for the last 6 years.

The quote highlighted in red says it all. As much as I would like to blame Wal-Mart, I can't in this case. I really don't think the Great Ammo Buyout of November had anything to do with it either.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:53:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By ringmaster1:
I haven't been able to find any 223UMC in the half dozen Walmart stores I've been in since I bought some last week for $3.97. I did buy 4 boxes of Winchester 40rd value packs yesterday for $7.77. The shelf tag read $7.77 but when the guy went to ring it up the register said $9. something. He did a manual thing and rung it up for the $7.77.

I hope you bought every box they had cause you're not gonna get that $7.77 price again.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:58:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By p057:

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:

i went in my wally world yesterday and saw that too

+1 Same here in Ohio too. They had plenty on the shelf and they can keep it for that price. For $0.25 per shot I can get Black Hills Blue Box or Q3131. They have successfully priced themselves right out of the market.

I used to buy 400-500 per week but not not more.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:07:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 4:11:47 AM EST by Banzai]
OK, the purpose of Wal Mart is :

A. To provide goods at market value in a timely manner to the consumer in an attempt to turn a profit with due diligence to stock holders

or

B. To provide cheap ammunition for the shooting community, holding prices to 1980s levels regardless of increases in demand patterns with regards to supply, and ignoring cost increases imposed by suppliers in an effort to ruin the stock value of the enterprise as a whole

You decide. However, the market has currently determined that the price per 1K of .223 ammo is in the $200 range. This is 2006, not 1985.

It's a market demand economy, folks. It is still a fact that pretty much whatever price Wal Mart has on something is the lowest that you're going to get, barring short time loss leaders. Hell, everything in the USA has gone up in price, it's called inflation. It's happening to every product, get your head out of the tunnel vision mode that you're in and you'll realize that. EVERYTHING is more expensive than it was last year, and the year before that, and the one before that............

Wal Mart does NOT have a feduciary duty to provide cheap ammunition, and the vast bulk of their patronage does not buy in bulk, thus making them AVERAGE consumers. It's those of you who want to purchase in bulk, Wal Mart is not designed to support you, and never will be. Fact is, Wal Mart could probably do away with stocking a lot of the ammunition that they do and cut some inventory overhead and NEVER EVEN SEE A BLIP in their bottom line financials.

I wonder if those of you complaining of Wal Mart "ripping you off" here are just as active in the GD about oil and gasoline prices? What about steel? Copper? Lead? Didn't think so. What about the cost of diesel fuel for transportation? How about the cost of union labor to produce/package/ship all of your items? None of the above has taken a decrease, and if anything, they've increased at a rate much higher than that of inflation! The cost has to go somewhere, and the consumer is on the bottom of that food chain. Wal Mart, or any retailer that wants to be around for any length of time, will NOT pass the loss on to the share holder.

Vote with your wallet, shoot less, reload, or STFU, but damn, change the tin foil in your hats. WALLYWORLD is not out to get you!

Tom
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:55:25 AM EST
Banzai,

I am not a Wal-Mart basher, I think they provide a great service for low income people.

I am saying that they have priced themselves out of the cheap ammo market. When their prices become competitive (i.e. everyone else rises to meet or exceed Wal-mart) I will go back to Wal-Mart for my ammo needs. As Wal-mart has not obligation to provide below market prices for ammo, I am under no obligation to pay over market prices for my ammo either. Prices have been rising forever, I see no change in that trend.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:19:15 AM EST
+1
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:04:10 AM EST

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that a women salesperson at a Walmart told me the other day that each store prices it's ammo depending on the local competition. To clarify I asked her if all the stores in Baltimore for example could be different and she said yes. I've heard of chains having regional pricing but never individual locations. I would think that could get out of hand for a national chain.

That is absolute crap. We saw the WWB price go up across the nation all at the same time. Same with other ammo. WM prices the product at the national level.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:55:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By easy610:

I was just thinking the same thing.

Wouldn't be a kick in the balls for this to happen because of the group buy thing.

my Wolly World Rem is stll $3.97 but the WWB did go up the $2
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:32:15 PM EST
My local Wally World had five 40rd valuepacks of WW 223 for $9/box,today.
I bought them all. Their Rem 223 was $4.78/box of twenty but it was outta stock.
Clint
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:41:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Clint50:
My local Wally World had five 40rd valuepacks of WW 223 for $9/box,today.
I bought them all. Their Rem 223 was $4.78/box of twenty but it was outta stock.
Clint

Ahhh memories....of ONLY A COUPLE MONTHS AGO!! Bought all they had when the 40 rounders were $7.73. If only I'd known......curses, foiled again!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:43:35 PM EST
Dammit...This price raising is really pissing me off. I understand why its going up but its still bull shit... I use to shoot the WWB well those went up so I switched to rem umc and now they went up to 4 something. I might as well sell my ar... Is other ammo jumping $1 to $2 in price? This is really sad to say but might have to start shooting wolf.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:23:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By easy610:

Yea, that must be it

Nothing to do with rising cost of fuel, materials, health care, wages, production, ect, you name it.

I know anytime I sell out of something, I raise the price so it wont happen again. I mean I dont really want to sell my inventory!

BTW....Just being a smart ass, don't get your panties in a bunch!

Travis
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:54:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 8:03:31 PM EST by M4C]
Rem .223 UMC was the last option for me to buy at WM and now they upped those too.
Now there's nothing left to buy there and serves them well.

*WM service stinks, already knew that, so no surprise - but prices made it worthwhile

*WM stinks at keeping items in stock and makes no effort to inform you of availability ("We don't know, don't fuckin care")

Once again, WalMart seems hell-bent on pricing their ammo out of the market, have done so, and IS their right, of course. But I'll tell you now Sportsman's Warehouse(not known for the cheapest either) can still sell Q3131 and Fed AE for WMs old prices with far better service, selection AND availability. And with WM's sales volume, I'm supposed to believe it has no choice but to raise across the board? Bull.

So to all those who bitch about us "bashing" WalMart, here's back at you -----> STFU()
Your arguments don't stand up to muster.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:28:38 PM EST
Went there Saturday, still $3.97 a box but after seeing this post, I bought all their stock of Rem. 20rnd ammo again after I done it last weekend also. And again the cashier guy had a monotonous look on his face .
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:27:13 PM EST
I made the Wal-Mart rounds in Baton Rouge area this past weekend -- same deal as you guys are reporting. But I bought all 10 boxes of 40s they had at 9.97 in nearby Denham Springs because it's not getting cheaper anytime soon. At least one WM here in BR discontinued all gun and ammo sales totally, even shotgun stuff. Target stores did the same. They're blaming it on Katrina.

One local gun dealer had 8 boxes of XM193 (but not anymore). Another gun dealer had Q3131A (yes A) and I bought 20 boxes of 20 at 5.25 from him. I also have a nice kid at Academy Sports that is having 10 boxes of Q3131 (not A) at 4.73 per 20 box shipped to BR from Texas and he'll call me when they're in.

This scrounging seems to be the way we are going to find ammo locally. After spending all this, I get an e-mail from Ammoman about the XM193 stuff and I couldn't help but order one case. Had I not spent all my money scrounging, I would have bought 2 cases.

One question, a gun dealer here has Black Hills "new" 68gr for 31.95 for 50 round box. Wanted to check with you guys before I bought it. Priced too high? Any place on the Web to get it cheaper.

I've got about 8k of 55gr ammo stockpiled (mostly FedAE223, Q3131, Q3131A and soon some XM193) now looking at some different/heavier loads -- any recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:47:11 PM EST
Bought reman BH 68 OTM for like $16 from Midway back a few months.....

I'd try all the listed sellers in the amunition section....

off topic - read a disturbing incident where 69 gr OTMs wouldn't reliably penetrate a SUV by police shooters. 40 cal was going in, but 69 gr 5.56 was stopped. Glad I got ALOT of 55 gr XM193 and such!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:30:17 PM EST
Thanks for the buying tip, but as for the police penetration report don't sweat it unless you plan on shooting up SUVs on the highway soon.

If they'd mount twin 50s atop cop cars you'd get fewer bad guys trying to run the cops down.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:31:47 PM EST
The new Guns and Ammo has an article talking about the rise in ammo prices. Same reasons as stated here; the cost of material has gone up and they have to pass on the cost to consumers. Sucks for us but things are that way all over. Blame the Chinese and their insatiable thirst for raw materials.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:06:36 PM EST
.223 and 308 have taken the biggest price jumps. (Wanna Guess Why?)cost of lead and shipping have gone up. so cost of ammo goes up
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:28:39 AM EST
For me, it's a joke buying .223 there anymore. Not just for the price hike, but they never have more than 1 box at a time.
Ok, so I can hit up the 2 or 3 walmarts around here...oh goody!...I wasted a bunch of gas in my car...and I came home with 5 boxes of ammo(at most)...FUCK THAT! I'm going to start ordering mine online now in bulk.

For whomever said that they might as well sell their AR...GET A GRIP! I choose to spend my gun money on practice ammo, instead of a bunch of add-on's. Sure a nice acog or larue FF rail would be nice to have, but that's alot of ammo $$$ right there. I'd rather be able to shoot a mostly stock AR more often, than have a super duper AR that I can't even afford to shoot. This may or may not be the case for you, so no flame intended...just trying to make a point in general.

as always, YMMV, JMHO, ect. ect.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:54:38 PM EST
Hit a store outside Baltimore today and they had 4 boxes of Winchester 40rd value packs with a shelf tag of $7.73. Register scan said $9.49. They sold them to me for $7.73 and imediately printed a new shelf tag for new stuff when and if it comes in.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:32:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 6:38:08 PM EST by cobra1019]

Originally Posted By wm69:
That woman doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.......

She does know what she is talking about, The prices of there competition in the area dictates what the local Wal-Mart prices are. By policy the Dept.Managers are to price check the competition once weekly.

On key items they are to be 5% lower than the the competition (on exact itmes only), Some Market Managers dictate 10%.

As the total company if price changes on a item, they will send down a price change to every store, but then again if the local competition is selling it for less Wal-Mart will lower it 5- 10% (at store level) lower then there price.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:53:01 PM EST
As others, I used to buy up the $7.77 stuff. Just checked, now up to $9 for a 40rd box.

Sportsman's Warehouse is just across the street from them - for the same price I'll buy Q3131 ($4.59/20) or go with Federal's AE for $3.99/20.

New gunshop in town - Wolf for $149/1k.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:22:19 AM EST

Hit a store outside Baltimore today and they had 4 boxes of Winchester 40rd value packs with a shelf tag of $7.73. Register scan said $9.49. They sold them to me for $7.73 and imediately printed a new shelf tag for new stuff when and if it comes in.

You'd a gotten an overscan award in Michigan if you'd a said nothing. 10% of the overscan upto a max of $5. Can't tell you how many times I've used that one.....

Atleast you got some for $7.73!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:34:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 5:34:54 AM EST by SelectFire]
I know when I ask for .223 "all ya got" the China-mart employees all look
pissed off or like I'm strange for wanting more than one box at a time.
Hell, I'm not buying there anymore because it isn't much of a deal and I'm
tired of dealing with them anyway. They can bite me...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:26:56 AM EST
You guys ever hear of this thing called a Reloading Press?

It's a really cool invention, you take used brass from fired rounds and resize it, then you stick a new primer in it, add some powder and a projectile and Voila - you've got a new loaded cartridge (and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying from anyplace on-line or local.

You can reload 1K of 5.56 for roughly $110 ($40 for projectiles, $18 for primers, and $50 for powder). You can do it even cheaper if you buy in bulk.

If you're a high volume shooter, a nice Dillon 550B can pay for itself in no time (in the above example, it will pay for itself after 4K rounds).

I've reloaded close to 110K rounds on my Dillon over the past 5 years and it's given me almost no problems. Lifetime no-BS warranty too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:47:55 AM EST
I got one of those in the attic from the 1970's. Do you remember how long it takes to load 100 rounds?
JR
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:56:11 AM EST
I dropped by WalMart to see if they had an Alan Jackson "Precious Memories" cd. If you like the good old hymns, the ones you sing without waving your arms in the air, try and get it. They were out, so I went by the sporting goods section. The Remington UMC .223 was still marked 3.89 on the shelf so I got two. When he rang it up, it was 10+. Told him to put it back. The last of my equipment for .223 will be here next week. I can wait.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:00:06 AM EST
Hmm.... Well, with a Lee Loadmaster, I would expect about 2-2.5 hours to load 1,000 rounds.

Sam
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:13:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By callgood:
I dropped by WalMart to see if they had an Alan Jackson "Precious Memories" cd. If you like the good old hymns, the ones you sing without waving your arms in the air, try and get it. They were out, so I went by the sporting goods section. The Remington UMC .223 was still marked 3.89 on the shelf so I got two. When he rang it up, it was 10+. Told him to put it back. The last of my equipment for .223 will be here next week. I can wait.hr

They would of had to give you $3.oo of the first box, and both for the shelf price. If a store has the exact ammo for less tell them, and they will match or beat it. Don't let them money whore Waltons get anymore of our hard earned money then needed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top