Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2011 1:02:13 PM EDT
I'm trying to set right some 20 rounders that have had their floorplates swapped around.

Can anyone tell me if a Simmonds Precision Products 20 round mag should have the "UI" stamp on the front face of the body?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
UI is Universal Industries so, I wouldn't think so.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The floorplate reads:

(Simmonds Logo) M16/M16A1 CAL 5.56 mm
UNIVERSAL INDS. DIV
SIMMONDS PREC. PROD. INC.
WEST HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.

If I'm understanding it correctly, there's a connection to Universal so I'm unsure about the UI stamp.

I know the Colt mags have it and Adventure Line mags do not.  I just want to make sure about the Simmonds.

The mags I'm sorting are completely scrambled.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Oops. Well, the one Simmonds I have has the UI logo on the body so... I'd say that's probably correct.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine does too.  

Possibly UI is the contractor and they can put any floorplate they want on the mag for the buyer; Colt's, Simmonds, etc..  I know that the tooling to make the mags was sold over the years to a few different companys.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC, NHMTG is the producer of UI, Simmons, Adventureline and of course, Colt magazines. I think UI actually owned Simmons at some point. I can tell you that I had the chance to buy a dozen NIW NHMTG 20 rounders awhile back and they are GTG. There's a mag guide somewhere here in Arfcom that lays it all out really well. I may have some of this backwards or wrong of course, the CRS is getting to be like CRAFT. Do not buy Sanchez mags though.

ETA: alpharubicon has a magazine guide, but I saw one somewhere else as well. It might have been Okay and Simmons that were made by NHMTG - they were/are definitely the mfg for Colt magazines though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I dug out my unmolested box of seven Simmonds 20 round mags dated 7/70. All seven of the mags have a small UI stamp on the front of the mag about 3/4" above the floorplate. Hope this helps.

Larry
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi Larry- A box of new old stock Simmonds mags is the ultimate authority, IMO.   Thank you for posting that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 Simmonds mags, both with UI.

I have 4 Colt mags, 2 pre 70, 2 post 70. One of the pre 70 mags has the UI on it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top