Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 5:21:07 PM EDT
Would like to mount some sort of light on my 6920, but don't want to add a bunch of shit on to it and don't want a railed handguard.

What are my options here?  Just need something that's going to be good and reliable and cost somewhat cost effective.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to help you out but really don't know what your needs are.  There are lots of options as far as railed systems go but there are also lots of options that don't require a rail system.  

Can you be a little more specific as far as what you are going to use it for and how much you want to spend?

I would definately recommend Brightflashlights as a good place to purchase the light you choose.  He'll treat you right and give you a good price.  I bet he'll be along here soon with some pics of what he offers.

You'll get more input if you post this in the flashlights forum.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider a rail that bolts to the front sight base (midwest industries makes one), then put a surefire G2 or 6P on the rail using a VLTOR mount.

Total cost under $100.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not wanting a four rail handguard, don't want to replace originals.  Just want a light for possible protection/SHTF situation, so will need a pretty good one.

Like the sound of the FSB rail mount though
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Consider a rail that bolts to the front sight base (midwest industries makes one), then put a surefire G2 or 6P on the rail using a VLTOR mount.

Total cost under $100.

Any of that stuff on the EE?  Not too familiar with any of it
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of the midwest industry feb mounts it is rock solid. I put a m3x on it for shitts and giggles, but it worked. I have moved on since then. But that would be a good choice for your application.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's what ALL of my ARs have, Go to Sportsmans guide and look up part # WX2-90427, they call it a "tower rail mount", it gos on the FSB, they are only $15ish, I can vouch for the fit and quality, just use a little blue locktight on the screw, for good measure.

I bought a G2, but I didn't like the twist on/off tail cap, now I have about a dozen Brinkman "maxfire LX" lights, they use a push putton tail cap, I have tested them under live fire on ARs and 12 guage shotguns, not a problem yet. The light gos for $20 at Wal-mart, or $15 @ Target, it is the same size as the G2, uses lithium batterys and all, I buy a dozen SureFire batterys from Cheaper Than Dirt, about $18 (IIRC), way cheaper than I could find local, about $7 each at Wal-Mart. I just go to the store and get a 1" scope ring (come in 2 packs). Works absolutly perfect.
ETA: TOTAL COST APPROX. $35 TO $50(AND WORTH EVERY PENNY)

Good luck man. I have blown a lot of money on a lot of shit (acceserys) but a light is the only thing I have every left on and never got tired of it, I think if I could have only one accessery, it would be the light.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Any of that stuff on the EE? Not too familiar with any of it

If you look you can find all that.

Check www.gandrtactical.com  They carry all those items, which is where I bought them from (already had a 6P, though).  

Here's the setup on a Colt 6721

Solid, affordable, lightweight, easy to use the light by pushing the tailcap button with thumb of left hand.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here's what ALL of my ARs have, Go to Sportsmans guide and look up part # WX2-90427, they call it a "tower rail mount", it gos on the FSB, they are only $15ish, I can vouch for the fit and quality, just use a little blue locktight on the screw, for good measure.

I bought a G2, but I didn't like the twist on/off tail cap, now I have about a dozen Brinkman "maxfire LX" lights, they use a push putton tail cap, I have tested them under live fire on ARs and 12 guage shotguns, not a problem yet. The light gos for $20 at Wal-mart, or $15 @ Target, it is the same size as the G2, uses lithium batterys and all, I buy a dozen SureFire batterys from Cheaper Than Dirt, about $18 (IIRC), way cheaper than I could find local, about $7 each at Wal-Mart. I just go to the store and get a 1" scope ring (come in 2 packs). Works absolutly perfect.

Good luck man. I have blown a lot of money on a lot of shit (acceserys) but a light is the only thing I have every left on and never got tired of it, I think if I could have only one accessery, it would be the light.

OK, SOLD!!  I believe this will be my setup, thanks!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll have to check out one of those Brinkman lights. I want a light for my AR15 but don't want to break the bank at $200+. I have some extra cheap scope rings that would work perfect for this purpose. Where in the store do they have the Brinkman lights?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I also got a Midwest Industries FSB rail mount, I got it from Bravo Company.

For a "Working Man's Weapon light" I got a SureFire G2 with a SureFire Z32 shock proof reflector and Z49 push button tail cap switch with 1" basic mount package from G & R Tactical for $85.

If you would like to learn more about tactical lights take a look at the Light and Lasers discussion board.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll have to check out one of those Brinkman lights. I want a light for my AR15 but don't want to break the bank at $200+. I have some extra cheap scope rings that would work perfect for this purpose. Where in the store do they have the Brinkman lights?

Where all the other flash lights are, kinda like the camping section I guess. Not all Wal-marts have 'em though, I live in a small town and I had to drive up to the "big city" Wal-mart to find it. I don't know where Target keeps 'em, I sent my mother to get them there, she found 'em, so must've been pretty easy to find.

Also I like my setup because you can keep your thumb on the tail cap button while carrying it, great way to get into action quickly, I hate those damn pressure switch curlly cords, I had one fail on me once.
Look at this thread about the Brinkman, one guy on page 10 says he has 1,000 round through his AR with the light mounted, no problems yet, according to him.
www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=217538&page=1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I used a rail that bolts on to the handguard, a Viking Tactics offset ring, a pressure switch and a G2.

All items came from Calvin at Brightflashlights.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I used a rail that bolts on to the handguard, a Viking Tactics offset ring, a pressure switch and a G2.

All items came from Calvin at Brightflashlights.

+1 on dealing with Calvin for all your light and accessory needs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Or, you could go super-cheap.  Get one of those "Cyclops" lights at Sam's club - they are almost as bright and sharp as much more expensive "tactical lights" and only cost $10 - and then strap it on with some duct tape.

Total cost $10  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Vltor mount and Pentagon X2 HA, less then 100 bucks.

I love my setup
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Any particular reason for fsb mounted rail and not a barrel mount? And are there are good options for a barrel mounted light?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Any particular reason for fsb mounted rail and not a barrel mount? And are there are good options for a barrel mounted light?

Cost? The FSB mount just seems to be right where I need it to be. A barrel mount may interfer with bayonets and bipods and such.
With ether one you need to watch out for heat if you are doing some majer shooting, I once melted a laser that was barrel mounted, I had just bump fired 400 rounds in under 10 minutes when I noticed the laser wasn't working, so take any electronics off before you rock & roll. It won't be an issue for any reguler shooting though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Bud light
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I love the pic that Stickman posts of his pentagon x3 HA mounted on a barrel using a tacstar barrel mount.

20$ for the barrel mount, no rail system needed, from what he's told me, it doesn't effect accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone try one of the Tapco Lights?
Anyone have any knowledge of these?
They have them listed for $39.99.   They are powered by2 - 3v Lithium batteries
http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=OPT0901

Chief
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love the pic that Stickman posts of his pentagon x3 HA mounted on a barrel using a tacstar barrel mount.

20$ for the barrel mount, no rail system needed, from what he's told me, it doesn't effect accuracy.

"20$ for the barrel mount, no rail system needed"
My system cost $20 or less (minus the light).

Sure, that'll work, but it's a pain to remove it when you are just going to go blow some ammo (like I said earlier, you can melt your light if the barrel gets too hot), with my system I can move my light around to any weapon I want. I've used that on shotguns though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#24]
i picked up one of those brinkman lights tonight. It's nice and bright! Hopefully I can test it out on my AR15 next weekend after I get my new rail system and Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I got 3 from Wal Mart about a year ago at $20. I wish I knew that target had them for $15.
Great light.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top