Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2007 9:44:51 AM EDT
Found a Sendra in very good condition at a local gunshop and would like to know the Value.  Rack price is $775.  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought one two weeks ago Saturday and I paid $800 for it.  

$775 sounds reasonable.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If it doesn't have a broached magwell, it aint worth anything to me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

4 AR 15s with 2 being Colts, 1 STAG lower, and a Rock Island Armory XM15A1. I have read a lot on forums...but do not know what you mean by "broached magwell". Please explain.

My Rock Island Armory was made by a sister company of Springfield Armory, Inc. (was owned by the Reese brothers). It is now out of business but it came with a "Sendra" lower. It looks identical to my Colts (except it has a fence around the mag release button (A1 style lower). My brother has a registered XM16E2 that has a Sendra lower and it runs great. I believe Bushmaster used to use these as well. I would not hesitate buying a Sendra lower.

A note: many years ago it is my understanding that Sendra was in a lawsuit with Colt since is was too much like the Colt M16 lower (semi Sendra receivers cannot be fitted with the regular M16 autosear). It was my understanding that the lawsuit stopped the Sendra production.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4 AR 15s with 2 being Colts, 1 STAG lower, and a Rock Island Armory XM15A1. I have read a lot on forums...but do not know what you mean by "broached magwell". Please explain.

My Rock Island Armory was made by a sister company of Springfield Armory, Inc. (was owned by the Reese brothers). It is now out of business but it came with a "Sendra" lower. It looks identical to my Colts (except it has a fence around the mag release button (A1 style lower). My brother has a registered XM16E2 that has a Sendra lower and it runs great. I believe Bushmaster used to use these as well. I would not hesitate buying a Sendra lower.

A note: many years ago it is my understanding that Sendra was in a lawsuit with Colt since is was too much like the Colt M16 lower (semi Sendra receivers cannot be fitted with the regular M16 autosear). It was my understanding that the lawsuit stopped the Sendra production.

Capt Richardson will be along to post a picture of the difference.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Got more info.  It seems that the true Sendra Lowers have an S on the side of the magwell, so I'm told.  This one has a circular machined area where the S used to be.
I have been told that these were sold by a company called Nessard.  Also the magwell looks to be broached as there are no machine marks like the early recievers had.  Thanks to all that posted.  I think I will pass on this one
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Got more info.  It seems that the true Sendra Lowers have an S on the side of the magwell, so I'm told.  This one has a circular machined area where the S used to be.
I have been told that these were sold by a company called Nessard.  Also the magwell looks to be broached as there are no machine marks like the early recievers had.  Thanks to all that posted.  I think I will pass on this one

A broached mag well is a normal mag cut inside the mag well.  Machining marks have nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Scott,
The early sendra lowers were machined instead of being broached.   Machining them left unsightly marks in the magwell that many did not like.  I am guessing when Nessard bought out the remaining old stock castings and forgings, then had them broached to make them more appealing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
"It seems that the true Sendra Lowers have an S on the side of the magwell, so I'm told."

I just took a close look at my Sendra lower and there is no markings (i.e., "M" or "S" or anything) on the outside or inside of the magwell. The inside of the magwell is smooth (no machining marks). The receiver is marked :SENDRA CORP
                                                                              BARRINGTON  IL

But as stated it is a Rock Island Armory Rifle bought new by me (I did not assemble it)  in Sept 1983. So if true Sendra lowers have an S (or M) on the side of the magwell, mine isn't a SENDRA? If so, someone went to A LOT of trouble marking it SENDRA.

BTW: If my memory serves me correctly, if you reverse the syllables of the word/name SENDRA you get the name of the owner of Nessard  (DRASEN). Pretty sure I remember that right.  Model 1 Sales and J&T Distributing are decedents of the Nessard company selling AR stuff back in the 80s..
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

BTW: If my memory serves me correctly, if you reverse the syllables of the word/name SENDRA you get the name of the owner of Nessard  (DRASEN). Pretty sure I remember that right.  Model 1 Sales and J&T Distributing are decedents of the Nessard company selling AR stuff back in the 80s..

I'd love to hear someone ( who actually knew what they were talking about) give a detailed history of the Drasen clan. As I understand it, some of those guys got in serious legal trouble over some illegal parts or someting.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I did a search in Google and found an older thread discussing the Sendra/Rock Island Armory guns. It did not mention J&T Distributing as a child company of Nesard, but it did mentoin M&A parts. I believe the children/relatives are connected.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Some Sendras were sold after the ban went into effect. It is said they have a circle on one side of the mag well to tell them from the earlier ones. I remember the Shotgun News ad that came out with them newer ones. Seems like it may have been DSA that sold them but I am not sure.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Scott,
The early sendra lowers were machined instead of being broached.   Machining them left unsightly marks in the magwell that many did not like.  I am guessing when Nessard bought out the remaining old stock castings and forgings, then had them broached to make them more appealing.

They were milled instead of broached.  Machining is a generic term for physically shaping metal.  Broaching is machining.

Machine marks can be left after broaching.  They issue people have with them is the milled magwell cut is not the same as a normal broached cut.  

I thought you didn't understand what broaching was.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Scottryan,

That is correct; I did not understand what was meant by broached cut. Doing a "Google search" I found an old thread and pictures were posted by someone named captrichardson. The photos compare an XM15E2 and a M15A1.  Interestingly enough, my magwell looks like that of the M15A1 in the photos, but my internal dimensions of the rear of the receiver looks like the XM15E2 (which has the thicker receiver "walls".). Also, my selector markings of “safe” and “semi” look different than in the photos, more like they were added/stamped on (somewhat smaller and positioned somewhat differently than in the photos).

Here is a link to the captrichardson post: http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=313506

Link Posted: 2/16/2007 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I paid $900 for one in New York state alast year.  It is at least a pre-ban receiver.  Mine came with an A! Colt upper.  No shell deflector which for me being a lefty is a bit of a drag.  You also had to use a rubber mallet to move the selector switch off the safe position.  Replaced the selector switch and added a chrome BCG for a retro look.  Functions fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I did a search in Google and found an older thread discussing the Sendra/Rock Island Armory guns. It did not mention J&T Distributing as a child company of Nesard, but it did mentoin M&A parts. I believe the children/relatives are connected.

Nessard=Drasen=Sendra

M&A Parts and Model1 are are or were closely connected and related.

M&A Parts and Model1 used to be located within 7 miles of each other in IL; the only difference being one had

a physical address and the other used a P.O. Box.  (Nah nothing fishy there.)

Model1 moved to TX three years ago IRRC.

Sherluck ties in there somehow also.

Ask some of the older members what their preferred preservative compound was??
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top