Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2003 2:57:03 PM EDT
Hello. I just picked up some SS109 stuff that does not have the green or black tips.

If you guys are interested in what I did then read below.

What I used is a Benjamin Moore & Co. Fresh Start Premium Primer. It is a Interior/ Exterior All Purpose 100% Acrylic Primer. Here is the 2033-20 "Peppermint Leaf" quart formula:

UTC:                  Quart Formula:
YW                      1x 13.00
TG                      1x 22.00
WH                      0x 10.00

The bullet tips were dipped 10 at one time on the stripper clips and the color came out really well. The drying time was about 3 minutes. The paint stuck to the tips very well and they have a nice even coating.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/93056/DSCF0003.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/93056/DSCF0007.JPG

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about it. Just store the SS109 stuff in an ammo can clearly marked as to contents. And should you keep some of this stuff loaded into mags at the same time as 55 gr, you might place a color coded piece of tape around the mags loaded with SS109. The painting practice makes sense for the military, but for a relatively small personal stash, I don't personally see it as being necessary. I have probably 10 different types of ammo here in .223 caliber and I never have any trouble distinguishing one type from another.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I mark shells with a black magic marker (aka Sharpie) with good effect.  Sometimes I mark the bullet, sometimes the case; depending on circumstances.
DyeKem (layout dye) would work too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok.....
So far I have not been given much input on this but here is what I have tried so far.

I have tried a black permanent marker as suggested, and it really works well but I would have to do this for 1000 + rounds. In addition to that they are on stripper clips and I would have to remove them.

I went out and got some of that ink pad refill stuff and thought that would work......I poured some in a small container wide enough to accept 10 of the rounds on stripper clips. I "dunked" them and well..... the ink does not stick.

What can I try now?

Will Black Dykem stick?

What kind of paint does the OEM use on theirs?

Is it a laquer based paint?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you have 1/12 twist (M16) rifles there's no need to differentiate between ammo types.  If you commonly dump your ammo in a large pile, stir it up, and then load magazines you'll find slignt inconsistency at normal plinking ranges, but not much.

If you shoot up one lot of ammo before going to the next and verify zero when you change lots this will be a non issue.

SS109 has a plain bullet tip.  M855 has a green tip (meaning [i]other[/i]) only to prevent it's accidental use in 1/2 twist M16A1 rifles.

Finally the headstamps are certainly different.

What [i]Remington[/i] ammo are you shooting that plan to mix with this stuff?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I plan to get either a 1-7 or 1-9 barrel. I meant Winchester 55 grain FMJ's not Remington.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I have some (Santa Barbara) that's not green tipped. I keep a magnet around, then it's EASY to tell what is what.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I would maybe put some paint on a sponge, then press the head in.  Putting them on a stripper clip first as Troy suggested would really speed things up, then you could do 10 at a time.  
What I do is put my SS109 rounds in a mag with an OD Magpul on it.  Might be a little anal, but it works.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#9]
New...Pics of finished product!

Did about 600 rounds in under 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Good job, never thought about painting bullets.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Well hey man, I think it looks cool.  Thanks for sharing.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Good Job ChrisNCT. I am as anal as you, so I can appreciate your work.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top